+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New to LMIA some questions

Joey10

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So I've been trying for CEC looks like its a non starter. I now want to put all my efforts into LMIA .
Can someone please explain the process to me .My understanding is .Please correct if I'm wrong.

Step1 . Employer advertises position for 30 days in 3 different platforms , 2 regional 1 national.
Step2. After at least 30 days employer submits EMP5593 form to service Canada .

Can someone please explain the process to me ?

jackmanalang

Apr 2, 2015
Two weeks later after submitting, employer will be given file number. As per SC the average approval of LMIA is 3 and half months.

Joey10

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jackmanalang said:
Two weeks later after submitting, employer will be given file number. As per SC the average approval of LMIA is 3 and half months.
Thanks for the reply . Would you know if the 3 and half months is for all LMIAs . I'm currently working in Canada so would that make it faster ?
Also can I get a bridging visa until a decision is made ?My work permit is up in August

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
Joey10 said:
Thanks for the reply . Would you know if the 3 and half months is for all LMIAs . I'm currently working in Canada so would that make it faster ?
Also can I get a bridging visa until a decision is made ?My work permit is up in August
There is no guarantee that a file number will be issued in 2 weeks. It could take less time but is most often longer. Timeframe for processing also varies. 3-4 months is average and being in Canada will have no impact because the LMIA is about the employer and not the employee specifically.

You cannot get a bridging permit but can apply for a work permit extension with the LMIA file number if you do not have a result by the time your permit expires.

Joey10

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your response. I'm on a IEC working holiday visa. When I get a file number how to I apply for work permit extension while LMIA is being processed?
What's this process called ?
Thanks

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
Joey10 said:
Thanks for your response. I'm on a IEC working holiday visa. When I get a file number how to I apply for work permit extension while LMIA is being processed?
What's this process called ?
Thanks
Oh! From your post I thought you had a regular work permit ( temporary foreign worker). IEC permits cannot be extended. To get a regular work permit you will have to wait on the approved LMIA. Have you already identified an employer willing to apply for a LMIA?

Joey10

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes my current employer is willing to apply for LMIA . Timelines will be tight for August but its possible .As soon as I get LMIA .I should have to around Two weeks for express entry ITA .
What is implied status ? I'm hoping there's some way I can continue to work beyond IEC expiring ....

jackmanalang

Apr 2, 2015
Joey10 said:
Yes my current employer is willing to apply for LMIA . Timelines will be tight for August but its possible .As soon as I get LMIA .I should have to around Two weeks for express entry ITA .
What is implied status ? I'm hoping there's some way I can continue to work beyond IEC expiring ....
Hi, you can check the link below. Hope it helps!

www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=474&t=1