+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New SOWP program. Are cooks eligible to bring their families?

Badge1

Star Member
May 3, 2023
Hello everyone,
I am asking on behalf of one of my coworker.
He is a cook on closed work permit and we are wondering if he can apply for a SOWP for his wife?
Per IRCC website TEER 4 and 5 are eligible provide they are not low-wage.
We are a little at loss here.
So do you know if a cook is eligible to apply for his wife's open work permit?
Thank you very much.
Yes, he is eligible.
I have a friend who got a job as cook in Salmon Arm, BC - they arrived 3 months ago. They both applied at the same time with his wife - both were approved with Closed WP for my friend and his wife got SOWP. Their two daughter OWPs are currently being processed and at the Medical stage atm.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/open-work-permit-spouses-dependent-children.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, he is eligible.
I have a friend who got a job as cook in Salmon Arm, BC - they arrived 3 months ago. They both applied at the same time with his wife - both were approved with Closed WP for my friend and his wife got SOWP. Their two daughter OWPs are currently being processed and at the Medical stage atm.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/open-work-permit-spouses-dependent-children.html
Cooks are level B/TEER 3 so always eligible. How are daughters eligible for OWPs? How old are they? Is this new to all children OWPs?

Badge1

Star Member
May 3, 2023
Cooks are level B/TEER 3 so always eligible. How are daughters eligible for OWPs? How old are they? Is this new to all children OWPs?
@Naturgrl They are eligible under the "Changes to open work permit eligibility for family members of foreign workers which took effect on the 30th of January 2023" - and yes this is new to all eligible children of OWPs. The daughters are aged 18 and 19.