VISA ISSUED...
Decision made April 15, 2013
LANDED..........
20-06-2013
:( :(
this sucks.. have to wait 3 more years

redstone

Apr 6, 2013
I am not clear about "intent to stay". Is this mean we cant go for vacation or to visit family back home for 1/2 months during citizenship application processing time also after citizenship grant. Pls advise

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
polara69 said:
Sure you can go on vacation. You are not a prisoner here.
Of course, it might mean you get an RQ and your application gets sent to the bureaucratic black hole.

nina.roy

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Their Residence Calculator still says "you must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application" -> https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

Does anyone know when will the new Residence Calculator (with the new residency requirements) be made available?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
nina.roy said:
Their Residence Calculator still says "you must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application" -> https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

Does anyone know when will the new Residence Calculator (with the new residency requirements) be made available?
The residence calcualtor still says that because that is what the current requirement is

The calculator will be updated if/when the bill becomes law. When that will happen is anyone's guess

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ArvindXBhatia said:
The before PR rule not counting is such a downer. For people like us, it delays our application submission by 2 years. I hope this gets raised and the bill be amended.
The max it could delay it is 1 year (which is 1/2 of the 2 years that you could count for time prior to PR)

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
The max it could delay it is 1 year (which is 1/2 of the 2 years that you could count for time prior to PR)
Yeah, but it also tacks another year onto the residency requirement, so the aggregate effect of the bill is to delay some people's eligibility by close to two years.

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
By the current law, the time spent in Canada before PR counts towards citizenship requirement up to 1 year(each day before PR as half a day).
In the proposed bill, the time spent before PR is not counted.
So, for some people if the new bill passes, they will be delayed by two years.

PMM said:
Hi

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
YorkFactory said:
Yeah, but it also tacks another year onto the residency requirement, so the aggregate effect of the bill is to delay some people's eligibility by close to two years.
True, my wife would be eligible to apply for Citizenship in September this year according to current rules. This bill has moved the tentative date to september 2016. The question is " what is the reason behind elimination off time spent in Canada before getting PR" ?. What are these guys trying to prove ?.

I live in Australia and here the residency requirement is of 4 years. Upto 3 years can be subtracted for the requirement by living in Australia on any kind of temporary visa and one year must be as a PR. I believe this country is none less than Canada but there seems to be some problem with commonsense of Canadian politicians. Yes, safeguarding and keeping the value of Citizenship is very important but this does not provide an excuse to turn peoples lives upside down and act stupid.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Harry Aussie,

Right on.
My wife is in the same situation. She could apply in Sep 2014 but because of these proposed changes, this could delay her by 2 years...

I will call my MP and sent a letter to NDP party MP as well.

It looks like the Conservative party of Canada likes the US so much that they want to introduce and implement US style reforms. In the US you can't use pre PR days to count for citizenship application.

defrontier

Star Member
Feb 5, 2014
harry_aussie said:
True, my wife would be eligible to apply for Citizenship in September this year according to current rules. This bill has moved the tentative date to september 2016. The question is " what is the reason behind elimination off time spent in Canada before getting PR" ?. What are these guys trying to prove ?.

I live in Australia and here the residency requirement is of 4 years. Upto 3 years can be subtracted for the requirement by living in Australia on any kind of temporary visa and one year must be as a PR. I believe this country is none less than Canada but there seems to be some problem with commonsense of Canadian politicians. Yes, safeguarding and keeping the value of Citizenship is very important but this does not provide an excuse to turn peoples lives upside down and act stupid.
May be they wanna run the pipelines and mess up with environment quietly. Before year 2000, Canadians who vote in elections was very few. Now this number is increasing and immigrants have great effect on that percentage in future elections. I cant still believe half of the country is not voting. And harper government squeeze us. I have been here more than ten years and just got chance to apply for pr and none of that tax paying years will be respected.

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
defrontier said:
May be they wanna run the pipelines and mess up with environment quietly. Before year 2000, Canadians who vote in elections was very few. Now this number is increasing and immigrants have great effect on that percentage in future elections. I cant still believe half of the country is not voting. And harper government squeeze us. I have been here more than ten years and just got chance to apply for pr and none of that tax paying years will be respected.
Conservatives are happy that 60% of the country population do not bother to vote. Turn out rate for Tory base 65 years+...their voters participation rate is 85%, below that age group that might likely not vote conservative, their voter participation rate is below 45%, ......the status quo favours conservatives at the moment.

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
Dejaavu said:
Harry Aussie,

Right on.
My wife is in the same situation. She could apply in Sep 2014 but because of these proposed changes, this could delay her by 2 years...

I will call my MP and sent a letter to NDP party MP as well.

It looks like the Conservative party of Canada likes the US so much that they want to introduce and implement US style reforms. In the US you can't use pre PR days to count for citizenship application.
Anyone have a sample of the letter to send to MP to ask that they ammend the bill regarding the counting of pre-PR days ?