21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
2_of_5 said:
Because the US is the only country besides Eritrea that taxes citizens worldwide. Which is not a problem in itself, but there are myriad forms to be filled out every year, and crushing financial penalties for even simple honest errors. Plus the fact that I would have to inform the US government annually, with dozens of pages of financial filings, of any company that I own, as well as account numbers and balances of my bank accounts. And US citizens are being denied mortgages and even chequing accounts all over the world, because of FATCA. Go to isaacbrocksociety.ca for more information about it.

In order to have financial freedom and business ownership, Americans need to ditch their citizenship if they do not live inside the borders of the US.

So effectively my life is on hold until I am no longer an American. I am 50 years old now, time is running out, and two years can make a big difference.

Plus I have despised the US government with a white hot fury ever since I was about 15 years old. I want the divorce ASAP.
You are certainly hot under the collar to get this divorce, why not just go ahead, and go renounce your citizenship today? Nobody is stopping you, and it can be done. It will indeed relieve you of your 'need' to file income taxes to the US of A.

Of course, this will leave you without a 'nation' to back you up, but if you are just hanging out in Canada waiting for your citizenship, it shouldn't matter all that much.

As Scylla noted in one of her replies, if you indeed file your Canadian taxes, while the paperwork to get the US taxes filed might be a pain in the arse, 99.99% of the time you will owe no money to the US.

If you choose to put your life on hold until you can 'renounce' your US citizenship, there really isn't any one person or government you can point at and blame other than yourself. You are the only one responsible for your happiness.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vic48912 said:
The law takes effect the date it is signed and gazetted......Chris Alexander estimate its towards the end of the year, it might be sooner if conservatives rush it through both houses as they have majority
hey vic,

where did you find the info. regarding 'the end of the year'... and which year (Government's fiscal year or dec 31/2014)....

thanks

kelshaer

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I sent my application on February 1st 2014 and Canada post reported that it was delivered February 6th. I hope the new bill wont affect my file. :(

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
sept15 said:
hey vic,

where did you find the info. regarding 'the end of the year'... and which year (Government's fiscal year or dec 31/2014)....

thanks
That was Chris Alexander estimate when asked at the press briefing today.....he implied calendar year

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vic48912 said:
That was Chris Alexander estimate when asked at the press briefing today.....he implied calendar year
good..wish i could read/hear those...

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
It sounds like the system is going to get flooded with applications from people who just barely made the 1095 day requirement just before this becomes law as people who otherwise would have waited until they had a better "window" struggle to get their applications in. I suppose this could actually cause further delays, as CIC has to deal with an influx of applications where the residency window is small. :(

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
It sounds like the system is going to get flooded with applications from people who just barely made the 1095 day requirement just before this becomes law as people who otherwise would have waited until they had a better "window" struggle to get their applications in. I suppose this could actually cause further delays, as CIC has to deal with an influx of applications where the residency window is small. :(
Yes, next few weeks/months will be super duper busy, will reach its peak and then once the Act is proclaimed, it should calm down... I agree. And I am sure they are aware of this.

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
Hi,

Do you know where we can read/listen to the media briefing?
It is really urgent for me because I can apply soon and want to decide what I should do

vic48912 said:

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
So sad about elimination of time spent in Canada before getting PR. How come these stupids nullify someones time spent in Canada ?. My wife has paid taxes all these years and now she was going to apply in September this year. By the virtue of this stupid law, now she will have to wait till September 2016. It is so hard to understand that how can this point even be related to Citizenship and yes she is more passionate about Canada as compared to some of the so called real Canadians.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
EasyRider said:
I guess, to make it harder for stray students and workers, some of whom may be planning to leaving for "greener pastures" (e.g. the US, Hong Kong etc.) after getting Canadian passport just 2 years after acquiring PR status. 4 years as a PR requirement commands another level of commitment to this country.
4 years are peanuts..have a look here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_nationality_law

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
polara69 said:
4 years are peanuts..have a look here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_nationality_law
I don't really have a problem with 4 years. But please figure out a way to process the applications in under a year!

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
I guess not all students and Foreign workers are stray. As an example my wife was an International student and she is PR now, believe me she is loving Canada and to top it up she has been paying her taxes all these years. Are we being fair to see with one eye ?.

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
Please let me know if you find a link to the "Media briefing"
If the government target is the end of 2014 to apply this, some people like me will be happy.

sept15 said:
good..wish i could read/hear those...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EasyRider said:
I guess, to make it harder for stray students and workers, some of whom may be planning to leaving for "greener pastures" (e.g. the US, Hong Kong etc.) after getting Canadian passport just 2 years after acquiring PR status. 4 years as a PR requirement commands another level of commitment to this country.
Hong Kong's roadside pollution index has always been at the high tide. Hong Kong is no greener than Canada. :D