+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Public Policy - April 14, 2021

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
The government has announced today that there is a new public policy in place to help international students/graduates who are currently working to apply for permanent residence. This is because the number of PRs in the past year is a far cry from the quota the government had previously announced. From my understanding, you don't have to have worked for 12 months but it seems you have to be working in any one of the eligible NOCs listed at the end of the page.

The link below provides more information of this:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/public-policies/trpr-international-graduates.html

It comes into effect on May 6th until Nov. 5th, 2021 OR until the 40,000 applications have been received. So if you are eligible, act fast! Good luck!

EDIT: looks like international students/graduates don’t necessarily need to work in those specific NOCS

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2021/04/new-pathway-to-permanent-residency-for-over-90000-essential-temporary-workers-and-international-graduates.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/public-policies/trpr-international-graduates.html

https://www-thestar-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.thestar.com/amp/news/canada/2021/04/14/we-want-you-to-stay-canada-opens-door-to-permanent-residence-for-90000-international-graduates-and-temporary-workers-with-one-time-program.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Vinami

shahzeba6

Star Member
Jan 3, 2019
Hi,

Well, Even I want to know more about it! Not sure about the NOC's. Need to confirm if the jobs mentioned below of this page, are the only ones required?

jb390

Oct 12, 2020
I think I qualify for this! However, I just received my AOR last week. I'm wondering if I should cancel and re-apply through this program. It might take faster than the roughly yearlong wait for PR that people seem to be experiencing now.

Anyone have any thoughts?

madhav.malhotra3089

Star Member
May 27, 2016
What would be the process for applying to this program? Is it gonna be like putting your application in pool and you get an ITA under this program automatically?

trymybest

Feb 11, 2020
Hello guys. It seems I am eligible under this program. I work as a cook since Feb 2020 but due to covid, my hours are constantly changing per week. I mean sometimes I receive less & more than 30 per week. However, I didn't see the 1 year (30 hours/week = 1560 hours) is mentioned under the eligibility. does it mean I should be okay?

Aiyar

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Hello guys. It seems I am eligible under this program. I work as a cook since Feb 2020 but due to covid, my hours are constantly changing per week. I mean sometimes I receive less & more than 30 per week. However, I didn't see the 1 year (30 hours/week = 1560 hours) is mentioned under the eligibility. does it mean I should be okay?
It is mentioned that you should have worked 1560 in total in 1 year

trymybest

Feb 11, 2020
It is mentioned that you should have worked 1560 in total in 1 year
are you sure? I didn't see anything in regards to that. I am applying through a Canadian post-secondary institution, not essential occupations.

Can you show the quote? I may miss anything.

Aiyar

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
are you sure? I didn't see anything in regards to that. I am applying through a Canadian post-secondary institution, not essential occupations.

Can you show the quote? I may miss anything.
Then you are fine... Just ielts, worl permit, and presently employed...thats it...
Rest no criminal record and all those normal things....

capforthepr

Nov 26, 2020
I am just wondering if CEC Express Entry Applicant who submitted their application and received ITA and AOR, can apply for this plan as well?

I doubt if I could pass the eligibility part of the NOC of my job for CEC by the immigration officer, so I just wondering if I could apply the new one while waiting my CEC application?

trymybest

Feb 11, 2020
Then you are fine... Just ielts, worl permit, and presently employed...thats it...
Rest no criminal record and all those normal things....
about the "work hours", you thought I was applying through essential occupations, didn't you?

just want to make sure

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
I think I qualify for this! However, I just received my AOR last week. I'm wondering if I should cancel and re-apply through this program. It might take faster than the roughly yearlong wait for PR that people seem to be experiencing now.

Anyone have any thoughts?
I wouldn't suggest that! Why would you want to throw away what you have for what is uncertain? The chances that you won't be among the first 40K is high. So just wait out the process for your on-going application

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
Are you an international student/graduate? If yes, I don't think you need to have worked for 1 year, it just states that you have to be currently employed.

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
Hi,

Well, Even I want to know more about it! Not sure about the NOC's. Need to confirm if the jobs mentioned below of this page, are the only ones required?
The specific NOCs are not applicable to the international graduates stream. The original post has been edited to include new links with more information on that