London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
The problem is this..

It really doesn't matter who got to board, as a PR, with a pre-existing eTA, today or last week or last month. It's what happens tomorrow or next week or next month...

In today's information technology age, it only takes a few minutes to run a database update job that instantly invalidates eTA status for existing PRs everywhere. Sooner or later, IRCC may do exactly this, without warning (as it's a loophole anyway), and then those working on historical anecdotal information are stuck in a foreign airport for possibly weeks, waiting for a PRTD.

Very much a "Caveat lector" situation...

gioswaby

Sep 13, 2013
Did anyone find out if new PRs with still valid ETA and visa exempt passport can travel without PR card?

gioswaby

Sep 13, 2013
I have a valid eTA (or at least CIC's website says I have); don't have my initial PR card yet and likely won't before I travel. No time to obtain a PRTD, not workable to reroute via the US. I'll scrub my trip unless there is good evidence that eTA without PR card will get me boarded (BA LHR to YUL)

@HighCeiling, I've PM'd you with a question.

Did you end up travelling without your PR card back into Canada? Did it work out for you?

salima1993

Nov 25, 2017
Did you end up travelling without your PR card back into Canada? Did it work out for you?

This is quite late but FYI - I'm a British citizen with PR i.e. visa exempt country and still had a valid ETA. After landing I flew out to Chicago 3 weeks later and was only allowed to board plane back to Canada because I had a valid ETA.