+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEW PR

azzawi

Mar 16, 2014
Hi,
Today I received a letter from the embassy telling me that I need to send them my passport so that they can stamp my canadian visa.
I am a british citizen and travel to canada almost 5 times a year. I was planning a trip in May 2014 for three weeks.
My question is: can I enter in May as a british citizen and not as a new immigrant (the visa they will stamp in my passport will be valid till Jan 2015).
I was planning 2 more trips this year.
what if I do my landing in May, can I leave the country after 2 days (as I was planning to go on holiday to the US) and come back into the country?
I won't have my PR card. so how do I enter into canada?

thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you arrive at the port of entry, tell the border officer your intentions and see how it goes. Since you have British passport, you can use it to come to Canada without a PR card. You can leave Canada immediately if you wish.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

azzawi said:
Hi,
Today I received a letter from the embassy telling me that I need to send them my passport so that they can stamp my canadian visa.
I am a british citizen and travel to canada almost 5 times a year. I was planning a trip in May 2014 for three weeks.
My question is: can I enter in May as a british citizen and not as a new immigrant (the visa they will stamp in my passport will be valid till Jan 2015).
I was planning 2 more trips this year.
what if I do my landing in May, can I leave the country after 2 days (as I was planning to go on holiday to the US) and come back into the country?
I won't have my PR card. so how do I enter into canada?

thanks
As you are a citizen of a visitor visa exempt country, are you sure they requested your passport and not just a copy of your passport? Normally that is all that is requested for them to issue the COPR.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if you have a PR visa, you can still come to Canada and tell them you don't want to land at this point and enter as a visitor instead.

If you land, you can leave any time you want, nobody will stop you.

You can always board a flight with your visa exempt passport and upon arriving in Canada, show immigration your landing papers for your PR and tell them you had to leave before you could get your card.

After landing, you have 6 months to provide immigration a secure mailing address for your PR card to be mailed to. If you miss this window, it is not a big deal either but you would then have to get new photos and fill out a PR card application form and pay the $50 fee and the processing time would be something like 3 months instead of something like 2.

realtexdex

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
Leon, I never got my original PR and I am back in Canada applying for a new card ; the form asks for a date range of your absence from Canada and also about your employment status since you became PR; how important is this if you plan to leave again and come back only in time to get a little over 2 years to keep your PR.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
realtexdex said:
Leon, I never got my original PR and I am back in Canada applying for a new card ; the form asks for a date range of your absence from Canada and also about your employment status since you became PR; how important is this if you plan to leave again and come back only in time to get a little over 2 years to keep your PR.
You have to fill it out if they ask for it but they should give you a card if you still have plenty of time to meet the RO even if you haven't met it yet.