+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PR pregnant woman don't have OHIP need health support

sanjida

Dec 28, 2011
Hi,
Me and my husband landed on 2nd October, 2013. The waiting period for OHIP is three months. But I am pregnant. I need health check up and care. So what Can I do?
I have tried for private Insurance but its not also that much helpful. Plz help.
Thanks in advance

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
sanjida said:
Hi,
Me and my husband landed on 2nd October, 2013. The waiting period for OHIP is three months. But I am pregnant. I need health check up and care. So what Can I do?
I have tried for private Insurance but its not also that much helpful. Plz help.
Thanks in advance
Depends on the care you're talking about. Some offices might take cash payments (especially if you tell them your situation -- even better if it's an office family members with OHIP coverage go to), if it's just a checkup with an OB you require. If you need to go to the hospital, or need any other care that requires, say, an ultrasound, go and get billed for the care. There are rules in place for a reason, it's your job to be prepared for dealing with the system in place.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Relocate to Alberta as soon as possible, so that you can be covered in the provincial health plan. There is no waiting period for newly landed immigrants.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
sanjida said:
Hi,
Thanks in advance
If you are about to have a baby very soon, go back to your home country (India?) and take care of it. It'll be very expensive if you plan to have a baby here without insurance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are a couple of other posts under the health topic about pregnant women without OHIP. Some mention midwives. One of the links is Diversity midwives. I suggest you look them up and ask them what your options are.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
corazon3 said:
If you are about to have a baby very soon, go back to your home country (India?) and take care of it. It'll be very expensive if you plan to have a baby here without insurance.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND TO GO BACK, THEN YOU NEED TO SPONSOR YOUR BABY, BETTER PAY THE BILL. NO BODY LET YOUR BABY DIE AT HOSPITAL IN EMERGENCY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE COVERAGE OR CANNOT PAY THE BILL. BUT FIRST GET CLEARED WHAT STAGE OF PREGNANCY YOU ARE AT THE MOMENT.

Rawat anil

May 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 jan 2012
AOR Received.
feb 2012
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
12 July 2012
Med's Done....
02 Aug 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11 oct 2012 DM on 15 oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
22 nov 2012
LANDED..........
16 jan 2013
sanjida said:
Hi,
Thanks in advance
one of my friend have the same situation like your and they choose to move to alberta as it cover the medical for day one. so they deliver the baby there. as it could be expensive with out OHIP.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rawat anil said:
one of my friend have the same situation like your and they choose to move to alberta as it cover the medical for day one. so they deliver the baby there. as it could be expensive with out OHIP.
This is possible for someone who has just landed and hasn't yet settled in ON as AB will cover new immigrants first day if they are moving from another country. However, in order to be eligible for health care in any province, you must be living there 6 months a year. Therefore, if they go to AB to get health care, they should commit to staying at least 6 months. If they do not, it is a possibility that AB would find out and back charge them as they never stayed in AB for 6 months they were never eligible for health care in the first place. As far as I know, this has not happened in AB but it has happened in BC where a lady was sent a bill for $43,000 for the birth of her baby. Now you will say that a birth of a baby can not possibly cost $43,000 but BC health claimed to her that the hospital bills BC health more than they would bill for a paying client and so she will have to pay the amount that they paid.