+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PR card timeline

steve2292269

Jan 18, 2023
Hi guys, I landed in Vancouver Sep. 14 and have been waiting for the PR card since. I provided a hotel address to the border agent at the airport and updated it to a permanent one in October. I called IRCC today and the agent told me that the address is empty and my application is approved but is on hold because of that. I want to ask now that the address has been updated. Do I have to go through the whole processing cycle again (which stands at 172 days). Has anyone encountered something like that before and can provide any guidance. Much appreciated!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats...sort of. LOL!

Since you are awaiting your first PR Card, the `approval' is pretty much automatic, compared to when you will apply for your renewed card in ~ 5 years, which does require IRCC to verify that you have met the required Residency Obligation to be approved for the renewed card.

Because you are a new PR, IRCC already has your details and knows that you qualify for the card. However...while logic would seem to imply that you should not have to wait the full 172 days (because all they need to do is issue the card) and since your address does NOT appear on the card, there's no reason why it wouldn't already be printed and sitting in a box..somewhere, just waiting for your mailing address. Having said that...don't be surprised if it does takes forever and a day to receive.

Even without your PR Card, you can still travel and return to Canada (except returning via a commercial carrier, unless you hold a U.S. passport). If not, you would need to re-enter at a land PoE in either a personal vehicle, or by foot.

Sorry to not have a real answer for you.

steve2292269

Jan 18, 2023
Congrats...sort of. LOL!

Since you are awaiting your first PR Card, the `approval' is pretty much automatic, compared to when you will apply for your renewed card in ~ 5 years, which does require IRCC to verify that you have met the required Residency Obligation to be approved for the renewed card.

Because you are a new PR, IRCC already has your details and knows that you qualify for the card. However...while logic would seem to imply that you should not have to wait the full 172 days (because all they need to do is issue the card) and since your address does NOT appear on the card, there's no reason why it wouldn't already be printed and sitting in a box..somewhere, just waiting for your mailing address. Having said that...don't be surprised if it does takes forever and a day to receive.

Even without your PR Card, you can still travel and return to Canada (except returning via a commercial carrier, unless you hold a U.S. passport). If not, you would need to re-enter at a land PoE in either a personal vehicle, or by foot.

Sorry to not have a real answer for you.
Thank you for your reply. It is just so frustrating. I have provided an address twice and have never been notified about my empty address issue.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some updates. I just received an email from IRCC saying my card has been sent for production.
Congrats! They must have been watching your thread and decided to wake up the hamster...to get back on the wheel. LOL!

Ryucnd

Star Member
Jan 21, 2022
Cornwall
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
So, do we receive updates when our PR card is sent to be printed, shipped etc? Did you specifically request the updates?

steve2292269

Jan 18, 2023
So, do we receive updates when our PR card is sent to be printed, shipped etc? Did you specifically request the updates?
In my case, I contacted IRCC directly after four months to check if my address is correct. It turned out my address was empty all along and my application was on hold. After my call with IRCC, I received an email the next day saying my information has been verified and my application approved and card sent for production. Two days later, which is yesterday, I received an update on my IRCC account saying decision made and card has been mailed. So that’s my process. Don’t know if it helps you

Reactions: vkamath