+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Policy for International Students - April 12th, 2021

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
This forum is really a godsend, especially the tips and advice that the members provide! I don't know what I would've done without it

techknull

Jan 15, 2021
I like how well set up you are. In a way the people on this thread are sort of my new family on this journey and I'm glad we can rely on each other for ideas!
Remember a year back when we were scrambling to get our study permit extension haha. The dreaded November applicants.

Reactions: kloppity

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Remember a year back when we were scrambling to get our study permit extension haha. The dreaded November applicants.
Omg! I didn't know you were part of that group. Those were difficult times and I owe my sanity to the people who went through that phase with me. I'm glad I will never have to extend a study permit again.

bootes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2021
My wife is applying under graduate stream. Her work experience is irrelevant. (I am not sure we need her T4?)

We are trying to move her language test but it's currently set for May 7. Which means we will need to wait for a few days to apply after that. Should her boss still post-date it to May 6th or a different date? Also, her new contract starts on May 1st so any paystubs will be from a previous contract. Not sure how crucial that is. (She works as an instructor at a university, and she is hired on semester to semester basis. Every semester has a new contract).

Good idea about scanning study permit, but just one thing: are people require to tear them/throw them out once they are expired? My wife kept hers, but I am unsure.

And another question: I am a homemaker. Is that the same as unemployed?
Just to clarify, your wife would be employed at the time she sends her application, correct? A letter of employment from her boss for her new job should suffice as proof of employment if she doesn't have paystubs from that job yet.

You don't need to tear or throw out your old permits once they expire. They just won't be accepted anymore nor should you use them as proof of your current status. (As in you can present them if asked for proof that you were authorized to study/work in Canada at a certain date, but you can't use them to study again once they're expired.)

As for being a homemaker, are you working as a homemaker for someone else (and being paid for it) or are you managing your own home?

xjunkratx

Aug 6, 2017
Mississauga
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
WhiteHorse
I asked my supervisor to post-date mine to May 6th, that + recent paystubs + job contract + T4 I think it should be enough to prove employment AND work experience.

For work experience perhaps include a year’s worth of pay stubs. If they have any doubts they might request additional documents later on but I think that should cover employment.

For students, what I did: scan my diploma + official transcripts + confirmation of graduation + study permit (to prove I had valid status)

On top of that, if you have the chance upload a letter of explanation with your background profile and any additional documents you feel you might need that could help.

I technically don’t need police certificates from anywhere, but I got one from my home country and a RCMP because if they ask later on, that’ll save me weeks of waiting for documents, translating and getting them to review them.

It is said that the time to obtain X documents is included in the application processing time, imagine getting your PR in 4 months instead of 6 because you got everything upfront.
Can you share the procedure to get RCMP checks upfront?
I am thinking to get that out of the way.

edit: i was thinking we should have a discord for this pathway

Last edited:

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Just to clarify, your wife would be employed at the time she sends her application, correct? A letter of employment from her boss for her new job should suffice as proof of employment if she doesn't have paystubs from that job yet.

You don't need to tear or throw out your old permits once they expire. They just won't be accepted anymore nor should you use them as proof of your current status. (As in you can present them if asked for proof that you were authorized to study/work in Canada at a certain date, but you can't use them to study again once they're expired.)

As for being a homemaker, are you working as a homemaker for someone else (and being paid for it) or are you managing your own home?
She is already employed on the same job. It's just that she gets a new contract for each semester that she teaches. So one expires on April 30th, and the next one starts on May 1st. She has her contracts, and these list her employment dates, salary, her position, etc. I am not sure if we would need anything else.

Homemaker: managing my own home. It's a more gender neutral term for a "housewife" (which I'm not).

bootes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2021
She is already employed on the same job. It's just that she gets a new contract for each semester that she teaches. So one expires on April 30th, and the next one starts on May 1st. She has her contracts, and these list her employment dates, salary, her position, etc. I am not sure if we would need anything else.

Homemaker: managing my own home. It's a more gender neutral term for a "housewife" (which I'm not).
Your wife should be okay and eligible then. While it might not be necessary for the letter to be post-dated, it's probably better to get the letter after she signs the new contract. You can then include the new contract to her proof of employment.

As for being a homemaker at your own home, yes that would count as being unemployed as you are not doing that work for someone else in exchange for payment (as per the legal definition of employment).

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
She had already signed her new contract.

I asked about homemaker because the forms make a difference between the two.

bootes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2021
She had already signed her new contract.

I asked about homemaker because the forms make a difference between the two.
I just checked it again and they make the distinction between the two since "unemployed" means someone who is currently not working but is looking for work and "homemaker" is someone who is not working because they are taking care of their home.

Varunp

Apr 25, 2021
Hey guys if any one of you can shed some light on my situation I would be very thankful. Me and my common law partner want to apply for the new stream where I would be the main applicant.I have two diplomas from here in Canada and We both also got our Ielts done 6 months ago. My main issue is that I have to currently be employed at the time of the application. Since September 2020 everyone in my company has been temporarily laid off because of government rules ( all non essential businesses to close)and I have been collecting CERB since September 2020. I can easily get a letter from my HR stating that I am still an employee of the company and will start working as soon as the government gives us the green light to open up do you guys think this will be enough to satisfy the “currently employed “ situation? Any help on this would be very appreciated Thank you ❤

Reactions: ALsw1989

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
Can you share the procedure to get RCMP checks upfront?
I am thinking to get that out of the way.

edit: i was thinking we should have a discord for this pathway
I sent an email to CCRTIS-SCICTR@rcmp-grc.gc.ca asking them to provide me with a list of Canadian fingerprinting services, they sent me a pdf with the list and I sorted them out by city.

I chose the one that was closest to me and sent an email to make the appointment and check the fees (between $50 and $80 in most places).

I went there and said I wanted to get an upfront RCMP certificate for Express Entry (this was before the streams were announced). They took my picture and fingerprints and I got my certificate in the mail 10 days after.

Reactions: xjunkratx

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
I had gotten my ielts result online, but I don’t have the TRF yet as it’d be mailed to me. I do have the TRF number. How do y’all think I should present my test results if I don’t get my TRF before May 6th?

jasz_blr

May 28, 2018
I had gotten my ielts result online, but I don’t have the TRF yet as it’d be mailed to me. I do have the TRF number. How do y’all think I should present my test results if I don’t get my TRF before May 6th?
It is not know yet if the scan copy of IELTS needs to be uploaded during application or only TRF needs to be filled in. Given the current situation, it may take approx 2 weeks for the physical copy to arrive in mail.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
IRCC posted a notice saying they accepted “online” results via email or test portal. If you get the physical report later, you can always send it via webform.