+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Permanent Resident- SIN Issue for Taxes

SavaB

Feb 28, 2017
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I wasn't quite sure where to put it. I'm sorry if it is in the wrong category.

I was granted permanent residency a bit over a month ago (YAY) and my SIN number was quickly changed. I gave my employer the new SIN number and they made a copy and said they would change it. Now that it is tax season I went to go see my manager to make sure it was changed, and to make things short they did not change it. They already sent out the T4 forms with my old SIN number. The HR manager said they are unable to issue out a new T4 slip for me but that it should be ok because "the government will know you changed it."

I don't quite feel comfortable with this reasoning, is she right? I have already called CRA and Revenu Quebec to make sure they had the right SIN numbers, so if they have the right one should I be worried my T4 is showing the wrong one?

Thanks!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Your new SIN and old SIN should be linked in CRA's database. Shouldn't be an issue. Very little chance the government would overlook the opportunity to collect taxes over that.

SavaB

Feb 28, 2017
Buletruck said:
Your new SIN and old SIN should be linked in CRA's database. Shouldn't be an issue. Very little chance the government would overlook the opportunity to collect taxes over that.
Thank you for your reply, that's a relief to hear.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Buletruck said:
I want to second that. I was also concerned about some tax mixup since I had a TFSA linked to my temporary SIN and even a registered business under my temporary SIN. Everything was carried over.

The only annoying thing was that I had to reauthenticate the MyCRA account with a letter and all since my username and password didn't work anymore due to the new SIN.

SavaB

Feb 28, 2017
spyfy said:
I want to second that. I was also concerned about some tax mixup since I had a TFSA linked to my temporary SIN and even a registered business under my temporary SIN. Everything was carried over.

The only annoying thing was that I had to reauthenticate the MyCRA account with a letter and all since my username and password didn't work anymore due to the new SIN.
Thanks! I did that as well, but through email and I had to contact CRA to give me a security code to reauthenticate my account. She looked up my old SIN number for me and told me that it just redirected her back to my new SIN, so all should truly be ok.

SavaB

Feb 28, 2017
Sorry, another question. I know that CRA has linked the two SIN numbers together, but do you guys know if the same can be said about the Quebec government?

phoenix111

Nov 7, 2017
Sorry, another question. I know that CRA has linked the two SIN numbers together, but do you guys know if the same can be said about the Quebec government?
@SavaB did you get any answers from Rev Quebec about this? I'm having the same problem! Thank you!

Rafffff

Star Member
Jan 17, 2019
I just became a permanent resident after a few years of being temporary. My SIN starts with a 9 and I would like to change it to a permanent one. Does anyone know the process of changing it to permanent one? Is it as if I was applying for a new one or should I request to amend my existing one?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005