+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New OWP policy for ex PGWP holders- Extend as visitor application in process. Do I need to restore or not ? Thanks :)

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Hi there,

I want to apply for the 18month open work permit. Before my PGWP expired in Sept 2020, I applied to extend my stay as a visitor. In my case, does restoration apply ?

In the Come to Canada tool, what date to I enter for expiry ? If I enter the Sept 2020 date, I am receiving an error which says it's over 90days and I can't apply. The workaround according to IRCC was to enter a date within the last 90days.

This works for restoration. But I don't think I need restoration because I am on implied status.

Does anyone have an idea or has IRCC advised anyone of this ? For people waiting to hear about their existing 'extend stay as a visitor application'..

I don't want to enter a future date, unless they advise us to do so.

Thanks.

6onHz

Feb 24, 2021
Hi there,

I want to apply for the 18month open work permit. Before my PGWP expired in Sept 2020, I applied to extend my stay as a visitor. In my case, does restoration apply ?

In the Come to Canada tool, what date to I enter for expiry ? If I enter the Sept 2020 date, I am receiving an error which says it's over 90days and I can't apply. The workaround according to IRCC was to enter a date within the last 90days.

This works for restoration. But I don't think I need restoration because I am on implied status.

Does anyone have an idea or has IRCC advised anyone of this ? For people waiting to hear about their existing 'extend stay as a visitor application'..

I don't want to enter a future date, unless they advise us to do so.

Thanks.
Hi, I'm in the similar situation. Did you find out how to apply when you are on implied status?

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Hi, I'm in the similar situation. Did you find out how to apply when you are on implied status?
I was told to apply for restoration. The restoration fees will be refunded when your visitor extensions gets approved. THey are issuing both visitor record and the WP simultaneously.

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Thank you so much!!
Just to let you know, there are people who didn't apply for restoration in similar cases. They got approved too. Just mention in a letter that you are on implied status with a pending visitor extension application(quote the number).

6onHz

Feb 24, 2021
Just to let you know, there are people who didn't apply for restoration in similar cases. They got approved too. Just mention in a letter that you are on implied status with a pending visitor extension application(quote the number).
Oh, I see thank you!!!

So I need to pay restoration fee $200, just mention in a letter without additional restoration forms or process and check 'restore my status as a worker' and 'apply for a work permit for the first time ~'in IMM5710 , right?

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Oh, I see thank you!!!

So I need to pay restoration fee $200, just mention in a letter without additional restoration forms or process and check 'restore my status as a worker' and 'apply for a work permit for the first time ~'in IMM5710 , right?
That is what I did. I generated a checklist via the Come to Canada tool, and took the restoration route. Had to pay a total of $540. I did that because the agent told me to do so. And I mentioned in a letter why I am restoring despite being on implied status pending a visitor extension application. There are no additional forms for restoration anyway. You just tick you need to restore, and also tick apply as worker for the first time.

Mention status as 'Other' and type restoration required. Keep the dates blank.

Now there are people who applied without restoring(I didn't want to take a chance, and did as the agent told me)

I don't know what options those people chose when they took the non-restoration route. You could ask them here:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/open-work-permit-under-public-policy-timelines.720838/

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
When answering question 2a under background information, remember that even though you are applying for restoration, the answer to that question is 'No'.

You are still on implied status and are legal in Canada.

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
I mentioned in that letter that I have always applied to extend/change status before the expiry date of any visa I held to date.

Because restoration is usually taboo, in this time of Covid it is fine.