+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Immigrant

royjaishil

Jun 4, 2019
Hi,
I'm writing to verify few things with. I'm migrating to Canada in July 2019. I'm originally from Fiji. Now since I will be migrating, I will also need my money from Fiji to be transferred accross to Canada. I do not have a bank account yet in Canada, though I have my wife's account who is already a permanent resident of Canada. I have spoken to her bank customer care at ATB regarding this wire transfer and the bank has no issues from there end. I also spoke with my bank in Fiji and they have no problem either with this transfer.

CBSA has also mention that I do not have to declare this since it will be wire transfer. I will not be carrying any money on my arrival except for few hundred dollars ($500 Canadian). My wire transfer amount will be CND 60,000. My bank said they will have this stamped at the back of my passport page declaring the amount being wire transferred. All this money are from my own salary savings.

Now my question is will I be charged any tax on this by CRA. Note I do not have a bank account yet in Canada and this will be transferred to my wife's account and later be transferred to my bank account after I open one.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from anyone with a positive response.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I'm writing to verify few things with. I'm migrating to Canada in July 2019. I'm originally from Fiji. Now since I will be migrating, I will also need my money from Fiji to be transferred accross to Canada. I do not have a bank account yet in Canada, though I have my wife's account who is already a permanent resident of Canada. I have spoken to her bank customer care at ATB regarding this wire transfer and the bank has no issues from there end. I also spoke with my bank in Fiji and they have no problem either with this transfer.

CBSA has also mention that I do not have to declare this since it will be wire transfer. I will not be carrying any money on my arrival except for few hundred dollars ($500 Canadian). My wire transfer amount will be CND 60,000. My bank said they will have this stamped at the back of my passport page declaring the amount being wire transferred. All this money are from my own salary savings.

Now my question is will I be charged any tax on this by CRA. Note I do not have a bank account yet in Canada and this will be transferred to my wife's account and later be transferred to my bank account after I open one.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from anyone with a positive response.
No, you won't be charged tax by CRA.