+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New form( CIT 520 ) Request for Documentary Evidence Of Your Residence in Canada

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
look4d said:
I sent translation of the passports from the community centre in my area, I had no idea about ATIO certified translations by then, and the community centre never told me it won't count, as they did thousands of translations before, the ironic is, they still do the translations for RQ's...
Hi look4d, it's possible that the community centre worker didn't know. It's also possible that the CIC lets this slide sometimes. I highly recommend that you get in touch with them and tell them about your experience and the issues with the translation service they provided. They should at least know to warn people about it!

Also, the reason they waited until the interview to ask for an ATIO translation is they probably didn't review your RQ submission until right before the interview.

Just a note for others, your translations need to be certified by any one of the Canadian provincial associations. I believe any one of them is fine, regardless of what province you're in, but if you're told by CIC to get an ATIO translation or an STIBC translation, make every effort to go with that association. If that association doesn't have a translator for the language that you need translated, look at other provincial associations and explain in your cover letter.

thepolestar

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eileenf said:
Hi look4d, it's possible that the community centre worker didn't know. It's also possible that the CIC lets this slide sometimes. I highly recommend that you get in touch with them and tell them about your experience and the issues with the translation service they provided. They should at least know to warn people about it!

Also, the reason they waited until the interview to ask for an ATIO translation is they probably didn't review your RQ submission until right before the interview.

Just a note for others, your translations need to be certified by any one of the Canadian provincial associations. I believe any one of them is fine, regardless of what province you're in, but if you're told by CIC to get an ATIO translation or an STIBC translation, make every effort to go with that association. If that association doesn't have a translator for the language that you need translated, look at other provincial associations and explain in your cover letter.
Hi Eileenf,

Reading your post, I have to give a second thought for my translation. I got it done from a translator who is member of IRB but not a ATIO translator or the other provincial association. Since he used his name stamp and the usual process, I thought I don't require it from ATIO translator.

What is your opinion? Should I get it done again from ATIO translator?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thepolestar said:
Reading your post, I have to give a second thought for my translation. I got it done from a translator who is member of IRB but not a ATIO translator or the other provincial association. Since he used his name stamp and the usual process, I thought I don't require it from ATIO translator.

What is your opinion? Should I get it done again from ATIO translator?
A member of the Immigration and Refugee Board? Really? What does the stamp say? Just his name?

CIT 520 says "...must be translated into English or French by a Canadian certified translator". So it's a good idea to figure out whether your translator is certified or not. I can't say for sure whether it absolutely would be a problem, but it's a good idea to follow the instructions as closely as you can. Good luck.

thepolestar

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eileenf said:
A member of the Immigration and Refugee Board? Really? What does the stamp say? Just his name? No certification?
CIT 520 says "...must be translated into English or French by a Canadian certified translator". So it's your call, and I can't say for sure whether it absolutely would be a problem, but it's a good idea to follow the instructions as closely as you can. Good luck.
By Member means member of the translation department for IRB, though the stamp says certified with no. also. But, you are right, I should not take any chances especially when I still have the opportunity to get it done before my filing of the application. ::)

Seriously, I was least worried about this part thinking I have already got the translation.

Canadianese

May 2, 2014
eileenf said:
A member of the Immigration and Refugee Board? Really? What does the stamp say? Just his name? No certification?
CIT 520 says "...must be translated into English or French by a Canadian certified translator". So it's your call, and I can't say for sure whether it absolutely would be a problem, but it's a good idea to follow the instructions as closely as you can. Good luck.
Hi Eileenf (or anyone can help for that matter);

I like to hear what u think about this. We all know that when we go to the citizenship test we gotta take translation of the foreign stamps on our passports. Since it's just for the test interview (not for RQ, or any 520 ...etc), Do we need to get this stamps translated from ATIO, or it could be from any translator such as the community centers?

ur thought will be greatly appreciated, thanx :)

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thepolestar said:
By Member means member of the translation department for IRB, though the stamp says certified with no. also.
Listen, I can't say for sure and I don't know the details of your case. It might make a difference if this was done freelance (which was my assumption and would seem like a potential conflict of interest for an IRB employee) or if it was done in the course of an IRB hearing. If it was part of the IRB process, then it seems more likely to be fine.
Either way, I recommend that you verify their certification (because I suspect that they're Canadian certified) or call the Call Centre and let us know what they say.
Canadianese said:
We all know that when we go to the citizenship test we gotta take translation of the foreign stamps on our passports. Since it's just for the test interview (not for RQ, or any 520 ...etc), Do we need to get this stamps translated from ATIO, or it could be from any translator such as the community centers?
Do you have the test invitation? If so please refer to the text. Off the top of my head, I don't remember, but as they say, when in doubt, follow the instructions!

Also, the translator at the community centre might be certified.

NSBoy902

Star Member
Jun 30, 2013
Paradise82 said:
Hello Guys,

Has anyone received this form recently called ( CIT520 ) requesting additional documents ? if yes. please share your time with us . Thank you very much and your help will be much appreciated.
Paradise82, for the documentation requested, could you please tell me what period it needs to be covered? Also, for any passports valid or expired, what is the date range CIC requested?

I am hoping the last 4 years from the time you signed your application.

Thanks!

Paradise82

Jul 15, 2014
Hello NSBoy902 ,

They requested my ( Record of employments/ pays stub / T4s / letters of employments ) for the period of last 4 years . Which is from September 2009 till september 2013. They didn't ask for my passport because at the time of the interview/test , i was asked to present my expired and valid passport to the officer. So they specifically asking for my Notice of assessment and record of employments . And again the form that sent to me is CIT520. I am hoping of getting my Oath letter soon :) .

Thanks

montrealer69

Oct 20, 2014
Paradise82 said:
Hey hoping_canadain ,

I guess so heheeh , i am not too worried about RQ nor the CIT520 . I have been in Canada since 2004 and have never left the country since then. According to some experts on this forum the cit520 , it asks for specific documents while the RQ asks for a lot of documents and proofs.

I have seen some users reporting their time since receiving the cit520 , they were informed within 3 to 4 weeks after sending the specified documents. i guess they are speeding up the processing as of 2014. lets hope for the best .
I sent the documents they asked 6 weeks ago still no action. Local office Montreal

So Concerned

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
I sent the requasted doc 8 weeks ago and nothing has happend yet!!! what is the avarage time to wait after submitting the requasted doc Mississauga local office

montrealer69

Oct 20, 2014
anyone who received this form on day of citizenship test and got a response ?
how long is the average processing time in MOntreal ?
any ideas?

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It looks like the old RQ form is going out of the scene and this new CIT520 is the new RQ? Since when did this new form come into play?