+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Citizenship Bill Thursday Feb 6th

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RussCan said:
!!! Well said. Agree and support. No point in trying to prove anything to these people. They all brag about how hard working ones they are yet I see them spend days in and out on the forum writing miles long posts.
funny, so you are not a hard working one since you are busy reading miles long posts...

If thousands of people are on the forums, it is because the government you are defending is not being transparent and people need to find the information they need elsewhere because THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR CITIZENSHIP APPLICATIONS! Just like people like you cared when you applied for it....

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
No, I am not a hard worker and have never bragged about being one. As a matter of fact, I am in the oil and gas making 180 K a year for sitting in the office for 8 hours and going for coffee on company's business. I get every other Friday off and 6 weeks of vacation a year. But that's in Calgary not in Montreal or another nice place where I would have rather been. But guess what, I could sell myself to this position and was preferred over local Canadians. And that happened not because I was an immigrant or fought for my rights, but cause I had something to sell (experience) and had someone interested in buying and giving me the right price. Can you do the same? If not then tough luck. If you, and people like you cannot make enough money to meet the criteria for the super visa it means you should not bring your parents in. Period. Nobody owes you anything nor to me. Or are you a type of that Pakistani triple professor with lots of credentials from Pakistan, the video of whom on the YouTube was posted in this forum, lamenting that such an honorary professor had to work on an Esso station. Lots of comments ensued then from likely people like yourself sighing and lashing at the cons government and the perpetuated discrimination. As far as I am concerned, he works at where he was able to sell himself to. Simple as that.

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RussCan said:
No, I am not a hard worker and have never bragged about being one. As a matter of fact, I am in the oil and gas making 180 K a year for sitting in the office for 8 hours and going for coffee on company's business. I get every other Friday off and 6 weeks of vacation a year. But that's in Calgary not in Montreal or another nice place where I would have rather been. But guess what, I could sell myself to this position and was preferred over local Canadians. And that happened not because I was an immigrant or fought for my rights, but cause I had something to sell (experience) and had someone interested in buying and giving me the right price. Can you do the same? If not then tough luck. If you, and people like you cannot make enough money to meet the criteria for the super visa it means you should not bring your parents in. Period. Nobody owes you anything nor to me. Or are you a type of that Pakistani triple professor with lots of credentials from Pakistan, the video of whom on the YouTube was posted in this forum, lamenting that such an honorary professor had to work on an Esso station. Lots of comments ensued then from likely people like yourself sighing and lashing at the cons government and the perpetuated discrimination. As far as I am concerned, he works at where he was able to sell himself to. Simple as that.
No, I am not a Pakistani...with all due respect to honest people who come from Pakistan.

I'm happy that you have great labor conditions Russcan...

mrbravo

Star Member
Nov 2, 2013
ramsfe said:
No, I am not a Pakistani...with all due respect to honest people who come from Pakistan.

I'm happy that you have great labor conditions Russcan...
I would like to comment on Russcan post. I know where you are coming from because I worked in the oil and Gas industry as well Offshore for 7 years overseas and when I came to Canada, I was preferred over many locals because of my offshore experience. The drilling techniques applied in Land rigs in Western Canada are way behind the technology used overseas and that is because the formations (rocks) are way easier to drill.

that being said, I do not understand why a lot of immigrants go to Montreal and Toronto and don't consider other provinces. Manitoba and Saskatchewan economy is booming too because of the oil and gas currently being explored as well. I hope one day immigrants STOP going to Montreal and Toronto and acknowledge that Canada is not only Toronto and Montreal. I have lived in Calgary for more than 3 years and preferred it over Toronto. I haven't lived in Toronto though just visited it couple times.

I know I might have deviated from the original topic of this thread but thought I would just mention my point of view about other provinces in Canada that UNFORTUNATELY immigrants tend to ignore while they are really good places to live.

hasanipooyan

Sep 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://o.canada.com/news/national/new-citizenship-bill-will-make-it-harder-to-become-canadian/

about the citizenship bill

sazid

Star Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Summary of immigration bill introduced today

The key changes:

Fees for citizenship applications will increase to $300 from $100. By comparison, fees are $670 in the United States and $1,600 in the United Kingdom.
Only immigrants who have been physically present in Canada four of the past six years would quality for citizenship. Time spent in Canada without permanent resident status would no longer count towards citizenship.
Those applying for citizenship must file Canadian income taxes, which is not currently a requirement.
Applicants 14-65 must pass the language and knowledge test, which will be administered in English or French. Currently only applicants 18-54 must do so, and they may take the knowledge test with an interpreter.
Penalties for fraud will increase to a maximum of $100,000 and five years in prison (from $1,000 and one year).
Permanent residents serving in the Canadian Armed Forces would qualify for citizenship one year sooner than other applicants.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/02/06/immigration-changes-mean-would-be-canadians-will-have-to-wait-four-years-not-three-to-apply-for-citizenship/

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sazid said:
Only immigrants who have been physically present in Canada four of the past six years would quality for citizenship. Time spent in Canada without permanent resident status would no longer count towards citizenship

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/02/06/immigration-changes-mean-would-be-canadians-will-have-to-wait-four-years-not-three-to-apply-for-citizenship/
So basically the "up to one year max" to be counted towards the citizenship (for basic residency such as student or work permit) will not be considered anymore? is this for certain?

Drea

Star Member
Dec 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0632 | 4131
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-09
Doc's Request.
16-07-09
AOR Received.
22-12-09
IELTS Request
16-07-09
Med's Request
20-05-10
Med's Done....
13-06-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-07-10
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-10
LANDED..........
13-12-10
:eek: When do these new changes become effective?

Blueridge

Star Member
Feb 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo and now Newyork
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2009
AOR Received.
26-05-2009
File Transfer...
08-12-2009
Med's Request
01-03-2010
Med's Done....
05-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
14-05-2010
Can someone please confirm if this will come into effect immediately or still needs to get approved? One of our family members about to apply tomorrow.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
sazid said:
The key changes:
Fees for citizenship applications will increase to $300 from $100. By comparison, fees are $670 in the United States and $1,600 in the United Kingdom.
Only immigrants who have been physically present in Canada four of the past six years would quality for citizenship. Time spent in Canada without permanent resident status would no longer count towards citizenship.
Those applying for citizenship must file Canadian income taxes, which is not currently a requirement.
Applicants 14-65 must pass the language and knowledge test, which will be administered in English or French. Currently only applicants 18-54 must do so, and they may take the knowledge test with an interpreter.
Penalties for fraud will increase to a maximum of $100,000 and five years in prison (from $1,000 and one year).
Permanent residents serving in the Canadian Armed Forces would qualify for citizenship one year sooner than other applicants.
Also, newcomers have to sign an declaration that they intend to reside in Canada, at least until obtaining citizenship. I assume the point of this is then to be able to strip citizenship from anyone who fraudulently tried to live abroad while pretending to be here.

And, they also cracked down on the multitude of unqualified immigration consultants who prey on immigrants and perpetuate fraudulent applications.

wadelmaki

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
farrous13 and others;

Regarding the income tax requirement; does this mean that everyone in the family has to work, what about a mom staying home caring for very young children, does this mean that she won't be able to apply as she won't have any income to be taxed on?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
wadelmaki said:
farrous13 and others;

Regarding the income tax requirement; does this mean that everyone in the family has to work, what about a mom staying home caring for very young children, does this mean that she won't be able to apply as she won't have any income to be taxed on?
You can still file your income tax return with zero income

Lei_F

Oct 3, 2013
farrous13 said:
So basically the "up to one year max" to be counted towards the citizenship (for basic residency such as student or work permit) will not be considered anymore? is this for certain?
On CTV news. it said "They will also need to be physically present in Canada for 183 days each year for at least four of those six years" so the physical days required in Canada actually reduced.. I think the government just played with the number and give them two year break so they can clear the backlog. but what will happen after 2 years.. all the problem will come back... ???

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/citizenship-act-overhaul-to-include-longer-wait-to-become-canadian-1.1672933

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
wadelmaki said:
farrous13 and others;

It means everyone has to file taxes - not that everyone has to work. People who don't work can still file taxes.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Blueridge said:
Can someone please confirm if this will come into effect immediately or still needs to get approved? One of our family members about to apply tomorrow.
The bill has to pass. So no - it does not come into effect right now. You can still apply under the current rules.