New Citizenship Bill Thursday Feb 6th

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sthaeem said:
sashali78,

I am just kind of confused now. Are these meeting considered to be committee study of C-24 bill that happens after second reading? But the bill shows that it is still at second reading.

Will the bill go to second reading after these meetings and again go to the committee for detailed review? since you guys have been contacted what do you know about this? and how will these meetings affect overall process of the bill?
At this point it looks like committee will reside over the bill and make adjustments prior to the second reading. My understanding it is not that common but happen sometimes when there is significant amount of objection to the bill.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Sashali78, congrats... So thus far what is your reading and gut impression based on feedback and body language of MPs you guys have met?

Are you also saying that the "suggested alternative language" will be introduced now or AFTER 2nd reading and before it goes to committee with the various "new edits" ...??? ::)

curious78

Apr 29, 2014
Question about Citizenship Application "Received" Date:

With all the talks about changing rules being applied based on application received date, i am wondering what that date really means:

a. Is that the date on which the application package was delivered to the Central Intake Office in Syndney by the postal service?

(or)

b. Is that the date on which CIC actually opened up the application and verified if all the required documents are in place?
I guess this one is the AOR date.

It would be very helpful if people who recently applied just around the day when the citizenship fee was increased (Feb 6th) can share their experience w.r.t to the applicability of the fee increase based on when they actually mailed the package

Thanks in advance

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
curious78 said:
Question about Citizenship Application "Received" Date:
With all the talks about changing rules being applied based on application received date, i am wondering what that date really means:
a. Is that the date on which the application package was delivered to the Central Intake Office in Syndney by the postal service?
(or)
b. Is that the date on which CIC actually opened up the application and verified if all the required documents are in place?
I guess this one is the AOR date.
It would be very helpful if people who recently applied just around the day when the citizenship fee was increased (Feb 6th) can share their experience w.r.t to the applicability of the fee increase based on when they actually mailed the package
Thanks in advance
The rcvd date is the actual date that your initial application package is recieved at CIC in Sydney, NS. If Sydney sends your application back as incomplete, then the recieved date will be the one when the new application (including the missing info) is recieved by CIC. So if your application was recieved at Sydney on or before Feb 6, 2014 you were had to pay the old citizenship fee. However, if your initial application was sent back as incomplete and the completed application was recieved after Feb 6, 2014 the new fee applies

curious78

Apr 29, 2014
txboyscout said:
The rcvd date is the actual date that your initial application package is recieved at CIC in Sydney, NS. If Sydney sends your application back as incomplete, then the recieved date will be the one when the new application (including the missing info) is recieved by CIC. So if your application was recieved at Sydney on or before Feb 6, 2014 you were had to pay the old citizenship fee. However, if your initial application was sent back as incomplete and the completed application was recieved after Feb 6, 2014 the new fee applies
Thanks txboyscout

sthaeem

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Committee submission Inter-Clinic Immigration Working Group and Parkdale Community Legal Services

http://www.nlstoronto.org/uploads/4/4/3/9/4439251/2014-04-27_iciwg_pcls_bill_c-24submissions_to_standing_committee_on_citizenship_and_immigration.pdf

Good to see many lawyers support amendments to the bill

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anyone watching the committee live?
http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/ParlVu/UpcomingEvents.aspx?lang=en

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dr_majed8835 said:
I'm watching it but they are discussing c-33!!
Aren't they suppose to discuss c-24 at 1:30pm EST?
its on now

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It seems that Conservative government has created another Controversial bill.
feel bad for the harper government, always the hidden agenda and a witness said if the bill go through on its current form, it will be challenged in supreme court!
good work! i love democrat!

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/PARLVU/TimeBandit/PowerBrowserLive_SilverLight.aspx?ContentEntityId=11659&EssenceFormatID=830&date=20140430&lang=en

dr_majed8835

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Thank you couldn't watch I think because iPad doesn't support silver light. Is it recorded.

Anyone has an update about what was discussed in the meeting. I thought everyone was looking forward to it.