+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Canadian PR and Nexus Card (Indian citizen with H1B)

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
First time (before permanent move to Canada but after soft landing): I applied after soft landing as i needed proof (COPR doc) that i will be moving to Canada and travel daily to US for work.
Application got returned with a letter for requiring 3 years continuous stay as i was completing 2 years continuous stay in US in 2016.

Second time: I applied after 1 year stay in Canada (apart from 2 years in US) and got the card.

I think that one can try before even landing as we have the visa/approved PR anyway, to avoid waiting for landing. Even if they reject the application then we can apply again as they return our check :).
(I applied via paper instead of online because there was some PR card number or some other number was required and it was not accepting in certain format hence thought i would send paper application).
Good Info!!!Thanks!!

DeeptiGupta

Apr 24, 2014
I am an Indian citizen with Canadian PR and today I got my nexus approved. Following was explained to me during the interview- 1) I get nexus card 2) I get global entry too and can use it just like American citizen. I have to use my USA visa (h1b) page through global entry kiosks to login. 3) I get TSA Pre too with no limitation.

To summarize, You should have either Canadian PR or citizenship to get nexus which will give you both global entry and TSA Pre. If not, then you have to apply for global entry program which supports some 10 to 20 countries, then you get TSA Pre as part of it.
Hi,
I'm living in Canada on PR and travel once a month to US on H1B. Is it worth getting a Nexus?
I moved to Canada 6 months ago and have lived in US for almost 4 years.
Also, Did you go for interview to get Nexus or was it just an online application ?
Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I'm living in Canada on PR and travel once a month to US on H1B. Is it worth getting a Nexus?
Also, Did you go for interview to get Nexus or was it just an online application ?
Thanks!
It's really a matter of personal choice. I think it's worth it. Yes- you will need to attend an interview.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hi,
Thanks!
It's really a matter of personal choice. I think it's worth it. Yes- you will need to attend an interview.
Agree with scylla. Definitely worth it! You also get tsa-precheck/global entry as a added benefit. You will need to go for an interview

DeeptiGupta

Apr 24, 2014
Agree with scylla. Definitely worth it! You also get tsa-precheck/global entry as a added benefit. You will need to go for an interview
Any idea what kind of questions do they ask in the interview? Do I need any client letter or letter from employer as document proof?

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
FYI, I have a Nexus card but have never received TSA Pre in US. Yes, I enter my KTN and yes I travel with participating airline. You might get lucky, but TSA Pre is only for Nexus holders who are either
1. US citizens.
2. US Green card holders.
3. Canadian citizens.

SAM09072019

Sep 7, 2019
I have Canada PR received after soft landing. I am living in the US on H1B since last 6 years. However, My US visa is expired but have valid i94 for next two years. Am I eligible for Nexus card or do I need to get US visa stamp to apply for nexus card? when I tried to fill my application for nexus card. it is asking for US Visa number and expiry date. I am not able to enter the expiry date earlier than Today's date. I sent the email to CBP asking this question but they replied with standard content available over the website.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
I have Canada PR received after soft landing. I am living in the US on H1B since last 6 years. However, My US visa is expired but have valid i94 for next two years. Am I eligible for Nexus card or do I need to get US visa stamp to apply for nexus card? when I tried to fill my application for nexus card. it is asking for US Visa number and expiry date. I am not able to enter the expiry date earlier than Today's date. I sent the email to CBP asking this question but they replied with standard content available over the website.
Yes, you need a valid Visa. Nexus card and AVR don't mix.

Reactions: SAM09072019

DeeptiGupta

Apr 24, 2014
FYI, I have a Nexus card but have never received TSA Pre in US. Yes, I enter my KTN and yes I travel with participating airline. You might get lucky, but TSA Pre is only for Nexus holders who are either
1. US citizens.
2. US Green card holders.
3. Canadian citizens.

Hi,

I recently got my Nexus but on activation I got the message 'Its active when entering the United States at a land border'. Does that mean I can't use it at the airports? Iris scan was done during the Nexus Interview. Also, Is there a way to check if I got TSA Precheck ?

Thanks!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,

I recently got my Nexus but on activation I got the message 'Its active when entering the United States at a land border'. Does that mean I can't use it at the airports? Iris scan was done during the Nexus Interview. Also, Is there a way to check if I got TSA Precheck ?

Thanks!
That message is nothing to do with using it for preclearnce at airports. All you need is valid active card.
You cant check unless you try to checkin at airport or some airlines give you boarding pass with the note of tsa precheck candidate but not all airlines do. I dont see a problem - just use it at airport - it should be fine.

Reactions: DeeptiGupta

Pshar1

Jul 26, 2021
Hi,
I did my soft landing in December 2019 in Toronto and have only stayed in Canada for 2 months since past 1.8 years. I work in the US as an H1 and have been in US for close to 7 years. I want to apply for Nexus. Please let me know if I’m eligible. Thanks!