+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Canadian PR and Nexus Card (Indian citizen with H1B)

Madhur123

Sep 5, 2017
Hi Friends,

I have lived continuously in the US for the past six years (not even a day outside the US). I am on a H1B visa and work in Michigan.

I got my Canadian PR last month and will move to Windsor-Canada in May - 2018 after my son's school session gets over.

I called CBP and they said I am not eligible for Nexus card as I have not lived in Canada on PR for three straight years.

My question is this:
1-Will my passport be stamped daily when I enter the US from Canada every morning ?
2- How much of a hassle would it be to cross border daily without a nexus card
3- Do I have other options (assuming I continue to work in the US and live in Windsor)
4- Will my situation (living in Windsor and working in Detroit ) cause issues when I apply for H1B extension in 2019. My I-140 was approved more than three years ago.

I thank you for your help on the above questions.

Thanks and Regards
Madhur

Reactions: vivekzoom21

shaardu

May 10, 2018
I am an Indian citizen with Canadian PR and today I got my nexus approved. Following was explained to me during the interview- 1) I get nexus card 2) I get global entry too and can use it just like American citizen. I have to use my USA visa (h1b) page through global entry kiosks to login. 3) I get TSA Pre too with no limitation.

To summarize, You should have either Canadian PR or citizenship to get nexus which will give you both global entry and TSA Pre. If not, then you have to apply for global entry program which supports some 10 to 20 countries, then you get TSA Pre as part of it.

Reactions: sumit8383

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I am an Indian citizen with Canadian PR and today I got my nexus approved. Following was explained to me during the interview- 1) I get nexus card 2) I get global entry too and can use it just like American citizen. I have to use my USA visa (h1b) page through global entry kiosks to login. 3) I get TSA Pre too with no limitation.

To summarize, You should have either Canadian PR or citizenship to get nexus which will give you both global entry and TSA Pre. If not, then you have to apply for global entry program which supports some 10 to 20 countries, then you get TSA Pre as part of it.
This is great info. Looks like cbp had updated their page about this program few weeks back.

Madhur123

Sep 5, 2017
This is great info. Looks like cbp had updated their page about this program few weeks back.
Hi Shaardu,
Congrats, greetings and big thanks for the information. How long did you live in Canada on PR before applying for Nexus? I am planning to move next month (i already did soft landing a few months ago). One Canadian officer told me that I was eligible for nexus card while other told me that I would not be eligible as I have not resided in Canada for three years. before applying for nexus He said my current US stay of six years does not matter.

Can you please provide your insights here.

Thanks
Madhur

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Moved to Canada recently and got Nexus conditionally approved. Was living in the U.S. for more than a decade. You should have lived either in the U.S. or Canada for 3 or more years and have either PR card or Canadian citizen or U.S. citizen is the eligibility I believe. Nexus application will let you know if you are eligible I believe.

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Friends,

I have lived continuously in the US for the past six years (not even a day outside the US). I am on a H1B visa and work in Michigan.

I got my Canadian PR last month and will move to Windsor-Canada in May - 2018 after my son's school session gets over.

I called CBP and they said I am not eligible for Nexus card as I have not lived in Canada on PR for three straight years.

My question is this:
1-Will my passport be stamped daily when I enter the US from Canada every morning ? NO
2- How much of a hassle would it be to cross border daily without a nexus card Depends. You can be picked up for secondary inspection, based on a ransom seeding algorithm. Even Canadian PR, Canadian Citizens, and Us Citizens, get pulled into secondary inspection. It is just the usual risk of crossing the border.
3- Do I have other options (assuming I continue to work in the US and live in Windsor) Yes, but, your days will not be counted, towards PR.
4- Will my situation (living in Windsor and working in Detroit ) cause issues when I apply for H1B extension in 2019. My I-140 was approved more than three years ago. Extensions cannot be applied, living outside US. Ask your company to file for consular application marked for Toronto. Other option is to live in States for 15-20 days, and Apply in Premium procession. Be prepared if the extension gets RFE, stretching the extension for upto a month. ( RFEs are almost common)

Thanks and Regards
Madhur

hardikpatel123

Star Member
May 3, 2018
Moved to Canada recently and got Nexus conditionally approved. Was living in the U.S. for more than a decade. You should have lived either in the U.S. or Canada for 3 or more years and have either PR card or Canadian citizen or U.S. citizen is the eligibility I believe. Nexus application will let you know if you are eligible I believe.
did you just leave your job in US during your move to canada? Curious since i am making a similar move

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
The guys at both sides of the border dont know the rules at all. So dont just call CBP or CBSA. Both the guys will say that you need to have 3 years residency after PR. Thats totally wrong. The rule says that you should be here 3 continuous (i hate this rule) years in Canada and/or in US. For me too they told the same. Still went ahead and applied. Actually in the website we dont even see that there should be a continuous residency requirement but still they follow. When i applied while i was in Detroit (before moving to Windsor), they rejected for the above stupid rule. Then i had to stay for 1 more year without leaving the continent to make sure i had 3 years total in US and Canada and then i applied and received the card. At that time i had 1 year in Windsor and 2 years in US.

All they need is that you have travel docs from both the countries and necessity to travel between both the countries.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hi Friends,

My question is this:
1-Will my passport be stamped daily when I enter the US from Canada every morning ?
2- How much of a hassle would it be to cross border daily without a nexus card
3- Do I have other options (assuming I continue to work in the US and live in Windsor)
4- Will my situation (living in Windsor and working in Detroit ) cause issues when I apply for H1B extension in 2019. My I-140 was approved more than three years ago.

Thanks and Regards
Madhur
Are you living in Canada and working in USA? How has it been for you with respect to border crossing ? Do you know if daily commuting causes any issue while renewing for PR or citizenship?

CANPR12

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
The guys at both sides of the border dont know the rules at all. So dont just call CBP or CBSA. Both the guys will say that you need to have 3 years residency after PR. Thats totally wrong. The rule says that you should be here 3 continuous (i hate this rule) years in Canada and/or in US. For me too they told the same. Still went ahead and applied. Actually in the website we dont even see that there should be a continuous residency requirement but still they follow. When i applied while i was in Detroit (before moving to Windsor), they rejected for the above stupid rule. Then i had to stay for 1 more year without leaving the continent to make sure i had 3 years total in US and Canada and then i applied and received the card. At that time i had 1 year in Windsor and 2 years in US.

All they need is that you have travel docs from both the countries and necessity to travel between both the countries.
Good Info.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
I had quit my H1B job moved to Canada few months back, got my PR card and planning on applying a tourist visa some time next year for occasional travel. Is it worth getting Nexus card?

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
I had quit my H1B job moved to Canada few months back, got my PR card and planning on applying a tourist visa some time next year for occasional travel. Is it worth getting Nexus card?
Personally I would not bother with it. Dont see much of a benefit of a nexus card if you come to the US every now and then.

Reactions: Samoinp

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018

Good info!!! Please help...Your statement "When i applied while i was in Detroit (before moving to Windsor), they rejected for the above stupid rule. Then i had to stay for 1 more year without leaving the continent to make sure i had 3 years total in US and Canada and then i applied and received the card. At that time i had 1 year in Windsor and 2 years in US." ............So did you apply and got Nexus card before you move to Canada (even before soft landing)?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
So did you apply and got Nexus card before you move to Canada (even before soft landing)?
First time (before permanent move to Canada but after soft landing): I applied after soft landing as i needed proof (COPR doc) that i will be moving to Canada and travel daily to US for work.
Application got returned with a letter for requiring 3 years continuous stay as i was completing 2 years continuous stay in US in 2016.

Second time: I applied after 1 year stay in Canada (apart from 2 years in US) and got the card.

I think that one can try before even landing as we have the visa/approved PR anyway, to avoid waiting for landing. Even if they reject the application then we can apply again as they return our check :).
(I applied via paper instead of online because there was some PR card number or some other number was required and it was not accepting in certain format hence thought i would send paper application).

Last edited: