+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Born Dependant Child - Outland PR

Venkkrishy

Apr 8, 2017
Hi,

Myself, wife and my first child are permanent residents of Canada, with a validity until 2022. After we became permanent residents, we've been blessed with a second child, born in the UK (Outside Canada).

Currently for work purposes i am living in UK, along with my family, and we are originally Indian Nationals.

I have now received all eligible paper works complete, that allows me to apply for my second child and thus i would like to know few things.

1. Would i be able to sponsor my second child as being a permanent resident, but currently living outside Canada?
2. If Yes, would there be any addition elements, that i need to consider before submitting my application?
3. Could someone also please tell me the address where the application needs to be sent to?
4. If No, what would be the best way forward to go about, as i plan to wrap things up in UK and move to Canada, and currently we cannot leave her to relatives as we have none, back home.
5. Incase, i go for an alternate, would it have any time validity.
6. I am even thinking of writing a mail to CIC, asking them for a best possible way for go about, would that be of any help?

Finally, One last question, i got my PR processed through express entry provincial nomination program, and the PR cards (As far as i see), do not mention anything about it. I am getting jobs, through my company, but they are from a different province. Would i be allowed to take them for a shorter while, as i finish sponsorship formalities for my new born, or would there be any restriction in doing it, as the tax would probably go in to a different province? Also, would this became a problem to future citizenship.

Clearly i intend to find a job in the province i applied, but unfortunately not getting one for a while, and having a family losing job seems a hard bargain. I work in the field of Information Technology, and in the Management Ladder.

I've been going through CIC websites, but i thought, these are better answered by experts, who were probably in the same situation as me. I would be greatful, if you may take your time and respond to all my queries. Apologies, if this is repetitive and have raised it in wrong place.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

Myself, wife and my first child are permanent residents of Canada, with a validity until 2022. After we became permanent residents, we've been blessed with a second child, born in the UK (Outside Canada).

Currently for work purposes i am living in UK, along with my family, and we are originally Indian Nationals.

I have now received all eligible paper works complete, that allows me to apply for my second child and thus i would like to know few things.

1. Would i be able to sponsor my second child as being a permanent resident, but currently living outside Canada?
2. If Yes, would there be any addition elements, that i need to consider before submitting my application?
3. Could someone also please tell me the address where the application needs to be sent to?
4. If No, what would be the best way forward to go about, as i plan to wrap things up in UK and move to Canada, and currently we cannot leave her to relatives as we have none, back home.
5. Incase, i go for an alternate, would it have any time validity.
6. I am even thinking of writing a mail to CIC, asking them for a best possible way for go about, would that be of any help?

Finally, One last question, i got my PR processed through express entry provincial nomination program, and the PR cards (As far as i see), do not mention anything about it. I am getting jobs, through my company, but they are from a different province. Would i be allowed to take them for a shorter while, as i finish sponsorship formalities for my new born, or would there be any restriction in doing it, as the tax would probably go in to a different province? Also, would this became a problem to future citizenship.

Clearly i intend to find a job in the province i applied, but unfortunately not getting one for a while, and having a family losing job seems a hard bargain. I work in the field of Information Technology, and in the Management Ladder.

I've been going through CIC websites, but i thought, these are better answered by experts, who were probably in the same situation as me. I would be greatful, if you may take your time and respond to all my queries. Apologies, if this is repetitive and have raised it in wrong place.
1) No. Only a Canadian citizen can sponsor from outside Canada.
4) One of the child's parents will have to return and settle in Canada to submit the application. They will be required to stay in Canada for the whole period of the application process.
6) No. The rules are really very clear.

Reactions: noonnabi and scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Since the child is born in the UK and is visa exempt you can get an ETA for the baby and bring them to Canada as a visitor with you. Then you can sponsor. You may be required to pay for healthcare before the baby gets PR.

Reactions: noonnabi and scylla

Venkkrishy

Apr 8, 2017
Since the child is born in the UK and is visa exempt you can get an ETA for the baby and bring them to Canada as a visitor with you. Then you can sponsor. You may be required to pay for healthcare before the baby gets PR.
Thanks for the response. The child is born in UK but registered as Indian National (As we both are). Is this still applicable.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks for the response. The child is born in UK but registered as Indian National (As we both are). Is this still applicable.
How the child gets to Canada will depend on their passport.

If they only have an Indian passport, the child will need to apply and be approved for a TRV to come to Canada as a visitor. This may or may not be approved.

If they have a UK passport, they are then visa-exempt so would just need to apply online for an eTA which should be easy to get.

As mentioned you can't start the process to sponsor child, until either you or your spouse are back living in Canada. If you will be in Ontario, the child will not have any healthcare coverage until 3 months after they have PR app approved and have landed as a PR. You, your spouse and other PR child, will need to wait 3 months for health coverage. Recommend you get private travel medical insurance from a Canadian company to cover you during this time.

Reactions: YVR123

Venkkrishy

Apr 8, 2017
Thanks for your
How the child gets to Canada will depend on their passport.

If they only have an Indian passport, the child will need to apply and be approved for a TRV to come to Canada as a visitor. This may or may not be approved.

If they have a UK passport, they are then visa-exempt so would just need to apply online for an eTA which should be easy to get.

As mentioned you can't start the process to sponsor child, until either you or your spouse are back living in Canada. If you will be in Ontario, the child will not have any healthcare coverage until 3 months after they have PR app approved and have landed as a PR. You, your spouse and other PR child, will need to wait 3 months for health coverage. Recommend you get private travel medical insurance from a Canadian company to cover you during this time.
Thanks, as i said earlier, we all are Indian Nationals originally, and carry Indian passports. Can someone travel on TRV and apply for PR, are they two not contradictory visa's? Ofcourse, the approval depends on the visa authorities.

Can someone please answer my latter part of the question, i.e: working in a different province temporarily, would that have any tax issues or future citizenship issues? Please clarify. Many Thanks.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks for your

Thanks, as i said earlier, we all are Indian Nationals originally, and carry Indian passports. Can someone travel on TRV and apply for PR, are they two not contradictory visa's? Ofcourse, the approval depends on the visa authorities.

Can someone please answer my latter part of the question, i.e: working in a different province temporarily, would that have any tax issues or future citizenship issues? Please clarify. Many Thanks.
One can certainly apply for both PR and for a TRV at the same time. There is no guarantee though the TRV would be approved. Sometimes they are, and sometimes they aren't, the only way to know is to try and see what happens.

If the child has claim to UK citizenship and passport, that would make getting to Canada a lot easier since with UK passport all they need is eTA.

You landed so long ago that where you live/work in Canada now is probably irrelevant. PRs have a fundamental right to live whether in Canada they like.

tozach

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
Thanks for your

I was in a similar situation. I applied for a TRV for my daughter in Feb so that we could travel together as a family. Unfortunately, it was rejected and I had to travel alone to Canada. I applied for my daughters sponsorship and TRV at the same time after I was here. The TRV was approved this time and the sponsorship is in progress.

I would suggest that you apply a TRV and include a letter of explanation with details about your circumstances and your intention to travel together as a family so that you can apply for your child's sponsorship after you are in Canada. Be upfront and honest about the intentions and plan. You dont have to worry because dual intent is not a reason for rejection. And you have better chances for your TRV to be approved if you do that.

As for the question about the province you want to settle in, I suggest that you ask that question separately or start a different thread for that. I am not sure about the formalities around it.

Venkkrishy

Apr 8, 2017
Thanks everyone for your responses and advice.

Can someone also tell me what approx. timelines would be for processing sponsorship a new born. Obviously website says up to 11months, but want to know various real time experience.

Secondly, does the TRV, has any restrictions as in 6 months at a stretch of stay etc.

Once again thanks to all for your responses.

tozach

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
Can someone also tell me what approx. timelines would be for processing sponsorship a new born. Obviously website says up to 11months, but want to know various real time experience.
The timeline can vary. It also depends on which visa center is processing the applications. Some visa centers receive a lot of applications and take more time than others. New Delhi Visa Office is one such. Again, the timeline can still vary for the same visa office too. For instance, if the child is an infant, the time taken for background checks will be lesser. I have heard about timelines as varying as 5 months to 10 months for New Delhi and that too for an infant. So, it is better to plan for 8 to 10 months for an infant.

Secondly, does the TRV, has any restrictions as in 6 months at a stretch of stay etc.
There are two types of TRV. Less than 6 months and more than six months. You can choose the category when you apply. Further, even if you bring the child on a TRV of less than six months, you can apply for extension from Canada itself

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The timeline can vary. It also depends on which visa center is processing the applications. Some visa centers receive a lot of applications and take more time than others. New Delhi Visa Office is one such. Again, the timeline can still vary for the same visa office too. For instance, if the child is an infant, the time taken for background checks will be lesser. I have heard about timelines as varying as 5 months to 10 months for New Delhi and that too for an infant. So, it is better to plan for 8 to 10 months for an infant.

There are two types of TRV. Less than 6 months and more than six months. You can choose the category when you apply. Further, even if you bring the child on a TRV of less than six months, you can apply for extension from Canada itself
There are 2 types of TRV (normal and multiple entry) but you don't choose what you want. We have seen many instances on this forum where TRVs are not granted to newborns.

Venkkrishy

Apr 8, 2017

Thank you so much. On a situation when i move there and apply the child's PR & TRV and the child joins me, can the visa office be changed from one country to other?

tozach

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
Thank you so much. On a situation when i move there and apply the child's PR & TRV and the child joins me, can the visa office be changed from one country to other?
I am not quite sure about that. But you could always email or call CIC and let them know that your child is in Canada. Like others have mentioned, TRV has a lower chance of approval. I could have been lucky but I dont think it is entirely down to luck either. From what I learned, be upfront and honest about the application. Apply for the sponsorship first and include a proof (I only included the post office receipt) for it. Request for considerations like 'you and your family miss each other' or that you want to spend time together on a birthday or something similar. Also make it clear that you will confirm to the requirements for the TRV if it is granted. Your own travel history might be useful as a proof if it is a strong one. I also included fully paid non-refundable return flight tickets and insurance for the period of stay. But do note that it is a BIG risk and you might end up losing money if the TRV is not granted. All the best

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am not quite sure about that. But you could always email or call CIC and let them know that your child is in Canada. Like others have mentioned, TRV has a lower chance of approval. I could have been lucky but I dont think it is entirely down to luck either. From what I learned, be upfront and honest about the application. Apply for the sponsorship first and include a proof (I only included the post office receipt) for it. Request for considerations like 'you and your family miss each other' or that you want to spend time together on a birthday or something similar. Also make it clear that you will confirm to the requirements for the TRV if it is granted. Your own travel history might be useful as a proof if it is a strong one. I also included fully paid non-refundable return flight tickets and insurance for the period of stay. But do note that it is a BIG risk and you might end up losing money if the TRV is not granted. All the best
Yes the visa office can be changed. Putting things down like your family doesn't want to be separated doesn't work. Plenty of spouses are separated due to visa issues when they gave birth. Also you chose to go back and give birth in the UK when you could have given birth in Canada. You can either apply for a TRV now or one parent can move to Canada and start the PR process and then apply for a TRV and hope that helps. If TRV is refused try TRP and if that is refused you will have to remain separated. By giving birth in the UK there were some potential risks of separation.

Reactions: tozach

tozach

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
Yes the visa office can be changed. Putting things down like your family doesn't want to be separated doesn't work.
It works if the applicant is able to explain the circumstances convincingly. It might not work all the time but it does work at times. It worked for me.