+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New born baby after getting COPR and VISA

saeed000

Jan 20, 2018
Hello everyone I have a query regarding my application for the outland spousal sponsorship. So I am a PR and I have applied to sponsor my spouse on February 2021. Her medical was passed on August 6, 2021. The current status is background check is in progress in Singapore visa office. My wife is currently pregnant and we are expecting our child to be born on around February 18, 2022. So even if she gets her PPR and passport stamped, she might not be able to make the long travel as she will be on her final stages of pregnancy. So my question is, if our child is born outside of Canada and my spouse already have her visa stamped, will we still be able to include our child into the application after the birth? If so, what if my wife’s COPR gets expired while my child’s application is in progress? Will she be able to renew her expired COPR? Or be required to enter Canada without our child to have her PR card?

Please share your expertise on this, and let us know about our required actions right now. I am really confused about the situation. Thank you.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone I have a query regarding my application for the outland spousal sponsorship. So I applied to sponsor my spouse on February 2021. Her medical was passed on August 6, 2021. The current status is background check is in progress in Singapore visa office. My wife is currently pregnant and we are expecting our child to be born on around February 18, 2022. So even if she gets her PPR and passport stamped, she might not be able to make the long travel as she will be on her final stages of pregnancy. So my question is, if our child is born outside of Canada and my spouse already have her visa stamped, will we still be able to include our child into the application after the birth? If so, what if my wife’s COPR gets expired while my child’s application is in progress? Will she be able to renew her expired COPR? Or be required to enter Canada without our child to have her PR card?

Please share your expertise on this, and let us know about our required actions right now. I am really confused about the situation. Thank you.
Are you a PR or citizen?

taegee07

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
As long as you do not land in canada, the application is considered still active nd changes can me made (to add the baby to the application) if the baby is born prior to landing. Just let IRCC know. When you land, the application is considered closed and you will have to file a dependent sponsorship application for PR which is pretty easy and straightforward

Reactions: saeed000

taegee07

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
As long as you do not land in canada, the application is considered still active nd changes can me made (to add the baby to the application) if the baby is born prior to landing. Just let IRCC know. When you land, the application is considered closed and you will have to file a dependent sponsorship application for PR which is pretty easy and straightforward

Hope this helps

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Important warning: if baby is born before landing, you MUST advise IRCC. At landing you will sign a document saying family size has not changed - and if that's wrong it will cause serious problems later.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Actually, it's 2 different cases:
1) As long as you do not land in canada, the application is considered still active nd changes can me made (to add the baby to the application) if the baby is born prior to landing. DO NOT use the COPR to land. Add the baby to the application and wait for medical request ...etc. Once the application is finalized, they will send new COPR that includes the baby.
2) If wife lands before the baby is born, just let CBSA know that you are landing. And if the baby is born outside of Canada after your landing (which... isn't really possible if she is late in her pregnancy and travelling to land and coming back to home country to give birth is a lot of travelling), then you can sponsor the new born if sponsor stays in Canada.

nickprado

Nov 17, 2021
Hi, Unfortunately we are in a limbo. I am a PR who sponsored my pregnant wife in March, she gave birth during the process and we updated IRCC with babys documents (Birth certificate, passport, photo and fees) in July. She got a ready for visa on August (NDVO) and when we sent the passport we thought baby is included but when we received the passport back with visa and copr we saw they didn't include the baby at all. We then asked them several times through webform and submitted the above information again along with forms this time (IMM0008, IMM5406) and it has been few months they haven't included the baby and my wife has PRV and copr. When we call agent says to wait and it was their mistake that the decision was made before they could process the addon and all. We dont know what to do as our lawyer wants to go to federal court for this. My suggestion is please be careful in this addon and let us know if you guys have any advise for us as I haven't been able to see my baby yet? Thanks

saeed000

Jan 20, 2018
Hi, Unfortunately we are in a limbo. I am a PR who sponsored my pregnant wife in March, she gave birth during the process and we updated IRCC with babys documents (Birth certificate, passport, photo and fees) in July. She got a ready for visa on August (NDVO) and when we sent the passport we thought baby is included but when we received the passport back with visa and copr we saw they didn't include the baby at all. We then asked them several times through webform and submitted the above information again along with forms this time (IMM0008, IMM5406) and it has been few months they haven't included the baby and my wife has PRV and copr. When we call agent says to wait and it was their mistake that the decision was made before they could process the addon and all. We dont know what to do as our lawyer wants to go to federal court for this. My suggestion is please be careful in this addon and let us know if you guys have any advise for us as I haven't been able to see my baby yet? Thanks
That is a terrible mistake from them. I am so sorry to hear that. I can only imagine how hard it must have been for you guys to stay apart in these times. Hopefully your family will get the new COPR soon as you guys did everything correct from your side. Thanks for your suggestion. I will keep IRCC updated about our case.

taegee07

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
If your wife has not landed, I will suggest calling your MP to ask they contact IRCC directly on your behalf (If you are living in Canada as the sponsor) if you arent in Canada. the only other option would be for your wife to wait and pray IRCC responds before her COPR expires / if it is getting too close and still no response, she will have to come in and land ** you do not want to have to deal with IRCC for multiple problems**, then file a new dependant sponsorship application for your child. its very unfortunate but only an MP would get you a reply from IRCC right now.. *due to the Afghan situation*

saeed000

Jan 20, 2018
If your wife has not landed, I will suggest calling your MP to ask they contact IRCC directly on your behalf (If you are living in Canada as the sponsor) if you arent in Canada. the only other option would be for your wife to wait and pray IRCC responds before her COPR expires / if it is getting too close and still no response, she will have to come in and land ** you do not want to have to deal with IRCC for multiple problems**, then file a new dependant sponsorship application for your child. its very unfortunate but only an MP would get you a reply from IRCC right now.. *due to the Afghan situation*
Even if her COPR expires, wont she be able to add her baby in it and get a new COPR? As they have already applied for the add on and I believe her case will still be open until she lands. I am guessing filing a new dependent sponsorship would take longer time.

nickprado

Nov 17, 2021
Finally added as a dependent and requested for medical. But took two months and had several follow up webform and even involved local MP to track