+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need urgent help:CEC: Wife's name different on Passport & birth certificate

chacks

Mar 31, 2013
Hi All, I need urgent help/info. Any help is much appreciated. I am in the verge of CEC application & I am the primary applicant. I am an Indian. I need a calcification on my wife's details. My wife's Surname is different in birth certificate/10th marks sheet and passport. She applied for passport after marriage so the surname on the passport is different from her birth certificate. Now I want to know is it ok to submit her birth certificate & passport copy (though surname is different in birth certificate and passport) for CEC application?. Is there any afidevit needs to get it?. Please advise on this asap.
Also, please advise, I want to put my wife's name as per passport. please let me know what else I need to do to make this happen.

astasi

Champion Member
Jun 12, 2010
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-09-2014
Med's Request
23-03-2015
Med's Done....
30-07-2014
Passport Req..
16-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
26-06-2015
LANDED..........
22-07-2015
Hi Chacks,

I am in the same situation. Could you please advise how you resolved this issue?

Thanks in advance.

decentgurl

Nov 1, 2013
i suggest u use what is on your wife's passport, but you have to declare it on the background information form where they ask: have you used any other name (e.g. nickname, maiden name, alias, etc)? you don't have to worry (as in my case) about any affidavit as you have to submit a copy of marriage certificate, passport, and birth certificate. Good luck. Hope this help.

gill656

Star Member
Jan 31, 2013
decentgurl said:
i suggest u use what is on your wife's passport, but you have to declare it on the background information form where they ask: have you used any other name (e.g. nickname, maiden name, alias, etc)? you don't have to worry (as in my case) about any affidavit as you have to submit a copy of marriage certificate, passport, and birth certificate. Good luck. Hope this help.
Hi Decentgurl,
I have kind of same problem. I don't have last name on my documents and i applied cec with my first name only and for the question" have you ever used other name" i answered NO. After i applied, i find out that during an incident, my family name was used. That family name is not official but someone suggest me that i had to inform about it.Is it possible, i can change the answer after I get my AOR. That is the only stress i have regarding my application. Please suggest something.

squishyface

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2013
AOR Received.
28-02-2013
Med's Request
26-11-2013
Med's Done....
23-12-2013 med's received 20-01-2014
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made 24-01-14
gill656 said:
Hi Decentgurl,
I have kind of same problem. I don't have last name on my documents and i applied cec with my first name only and for the question" have you ever used other name" i answered NO. After i applied, i find out that during an incident, my family name was used. That family name is not official but someone suggest me that i had to inform about it.Is it possible, i can change the answer after I get my AOR. That is the only stress i have regarding my application. Please suggest something.
Can you elaborate more on your last name being unofficial and why you did not put your last name on your application?
I do not want to sound ignorant and would like to understand your situation better.

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
AFAIK, you have to mention the surname as it appears in the passport, in the application form, next to the surname, it does ask for "other name(s) used", there, you should mention the surname as mentioned in the birth certificate.

I have applied like this and there is no issues with that (though I have only received AOR, but have done OWP-S in the past)

CECFEB2013

Star Member
Mar 11, 2013
You can use the same birth certificate and passport - no issues.

In the CEC Application form IMM-0008-ENU, Q2 - Have you ever used any other name (e.g., nick name, maiden name, alias etc)?

Select Yes, and write her first name and old last name. That would do.

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
CECFEB2013 said:
You can use the same birth certificate and passport - no issues.

In the CEC Application form IMM-0008-ENU, Q2 - Have you ever used any other name (e.g., nick name, maiden name, alias etc)?

Select Yes, and write her first name and old last name. That would do.
Perfect... thats exactly what I was trying to state..... :)

gill656

Star Member
Jan 31, 2013
squishyface said:
Can you elaborate more on your last name being unofficial and why you did not put your last name on your application?
I do not want to sound ignorant and would like to understand your situation better.
So here, what it is.
My name is sumit gill. But on my academic certificate, passport and all official documents, my name is sumit. I don't have any last name. But my friends and relatives knows that i have family name gill. But it is not used on any of my documents. During an accident, when my friend reported incident, he notified my name as sumit gill.
Now, i went for police clearance for my job purposes, they said there was a incident said that gill was used as my last name. On that clearance document, they filled gill under the question " othet last name used. They didn't filled any last name. But they stated that other family name used was gill.
But on my cec application, i didn't put any other name.

ruchiraset

Dec 30, 2013
Hi - I am having the same issue, could you guys please suggest if any other document is required here?
Or i would have to just mention wife's name in the CEC Application form IMM-0008-ENU, Q2 - Have you ever used any other name (e.g., nick name, maiden name, alias etc)?

your Reply will be highly Appreciated.

Thanks

prettykite

Jan 26, 2014
Hi question i am the spouse of the principal applicant in my birth certificate my father place of birth is written bataan but in the addional fam info and background declaration i write my father place of birth was sampaloc manila but same here in the country of philippines but in my father birth cert his place was really in sampaloc manila not bataan is that okay with cic im not the principal applicant only his dependent

Dr_Midnite

Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2014
Doc's Request.
21-03-2014
AOR Received.
19-02-2014
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
31-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 30-10-2014
LANDED..........
15-11-2014
Hi

This should be simple; your current married name is your current name and is being used on passports. By default it will be different from your Birth Certificate as you change your name when you marry, this is common in most cultures. The current (Married) name should be that used on the application.

As others have highlighted, in the CEC Application form IMM-0008-ENU, Q2 which asks have you ever used any other name (e.g., nick name, maiden name, alias etc)? You should select yes, here you write any other names you have used since Birth!

For the specific question regards fathers place of birth, you need to put in the place of birth that is on the official Birth Certificate. CIC will pick-up on any discrepancy where documents do not tie up to the application forms. This may delay the process.

For the person with only one name, what does your Birth Certificate state as your name?

A

prettykite

Jan 26, 2014
Dr_midnite thanks for the info my husband is fsw may this different info resluts to rejection actually in my birth cert my mother was the one who fill up my birth cert by handwriting and we only found out that my fathers birth place was wrong by my mom but im only the principal applicant dependent i just write the exact town in thr background and additional fam info sheet which is sampaloc but still same country of birth can we just submit my father birth cert for correction and support

Nav23

Star Member
Jun 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th sept 2013
Doc's Request.
3rdmarch 2014