+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to travel due to family emergency without citizenship certificate

eastguy123

Star Member
Oct 26, 2019
My citizenship ceremony was on sep 9 and on application tracker application closed down on September 15. I will receive citizenship certificate after 2 to 4?weeks. I need to travel to home country got a valid passport for home country due to family health emergency. My question is that can I travel to home country without Canadian passport and second can I apply for Canadian passport outside of Canada in my home country if yes what would I need and how to apply?

Star Member
Aug 6, 2021
My citizenship ceremony was on sep 9 and on application tracker application closed down on September 15. I will receive citizenship certificate after 2 to 4?weeks. I need to travel to home country got a valid passport for home country due to family health emergency. My question is that can I travel to home country without Canadian passport and second can I apply for Canadian passport outside of Canada in my home country if yes what would I need and how to apply?
I think you might need to call IRCC and explain your situation, they have expedited service or pick up from IRCC office.
With certificate you can apply for passport abroad, but it will take time to get it, especially if country doesn't have Canadian embassy (covid restrictions, etc)
Passport offices in Canada have 1 day passport service/ out of regular hours.
But I'm not sure how it works with 1 Canadian passport.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport/apply-how.html

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for passport from outside Canada. Someone has to mail you the citizenship certificate, since you need submit original to apply for passport.

Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
You can travel to your home country without a Canadian passport, but you must enter Canada with one.

Depending on how close your office is to your residence, it can take as soon as 1 week.

As previously mentioned you can apply for a passport at a consulate/embassy, but the original citizenship certificate is a must. Keep in mind processing times will take longer as the passports are produced in Canada and will have to be sent abroad.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Orgcom

Feb 27, 2020
Someone from this forum, who works in the US, was told by the clerk during the citizenship ceremony that he has to stay in Canada and wait for the certificate and then apply for a passport in Canada too. This person had to quickly come back to the US. I don't know what he/she eventually did... You can try to find the thread and contact him personally.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Someone from this forum, who works in the US, was told by the clerk during the citizenship ceremony that he has to stay in Canada and wait for the certificate and then apply for a passport in Canada too. This person had to quickly come back to the US. I don't know what he/she eventually did... You can try to find the thread and contact him personally.
There is a case for special authorization

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

Reactions: nicolass

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
What about the guarantor and references when applying for passport from outside Canada? Do they need to be in Canada?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Indeed, having a guarantor and references after being vetted for the citizenship doesn't make sense. I saw you commented there that someone got their passport without even a guarantor. How did that happen? I am not following that thread, and not sure about the details, as I know that a guarantor is mandatory, isn't it?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Indeed, having a guarantor and references after being vetted for the citizenship doesn't make sense. I saw you commented there that someone got their passport without even a guarantor. How did that happen? I am not following that thread, and not sure about the details, as I know that a guarantor is mandatory, isn't it?
Not sure either, if that story is to be believed at all….

A guarantor isn’t required, but you have to make a statutory declaration that you can’t get one.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#no-guarantor

According to that member, her friend didn’t go through that step either, the agent simply called the references. I’m taking the whole story with a grain of salt though. Still best to follow all the instructions of course.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
If you applying at service Canada in person what docs u need along original citizenship certificate?
The application form duly filled along with photos as per specification (one photo signed by the guarantor), an ID document (I was able to use my health card as ID) and the original citizenship certificate. I don't think you need anything else.

Reactions: eastguy123

eastguy123

Star Member
Oct 26, 2019
The application form duly filled along with photos as per specification (one photo signed by the guarantor), an ID document (I was able to use my health card as ID) and the original citizenship certificate. I don't think you need anything else.
I got Alberta health card which have not photo. Will it be accepted? And what about reference?