+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to renew PR Card, but do not think I have met the Residency Obligations

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
5,120
1,510
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello mate,
Thank you for the quick response. I’ve couple of more doubts on the first point that you have mentioned.
1) As mentioned earlier this is her first 5 year term on PR status. So if she travels in august/ September(hoping vaccine will be available by then, as we have a toddler travelling with her) will she be eligible for renewal if she stays longer after she comes back here( with out being reported)

2) As we still have lockdown in India and Canada both , she will not be able to travel before June. She actually planned to travel in February itself but due to Corona she had to stay back( we cancelled the ticket twice taking toddler’s safety into consideration)

Thanks
1. If she is allowed in without being reported (this is highly likely), then she just has to stay in Canada till she has met RO and then apply for renewal. Do not apply for renewal unless you are certain that she meets RO. The only real chance of being reported happens when you interact with CBSA/IRCC in some way - either at the border, or when you apply for PR renewal.

2. Yeah, June is fine. As others have said, the sooner she can travel the better. Waiting for a vaccine is not a good idea since there's absolutely no real information on when or whether a vaccine is going to happen. Best to fly back when the flights open and then you don't need to stress about RO/PR. I understand your thought process - as it happens, I'm stuck in India right now with a toddler myself. I have no RO (already stayed more than 850 days in my first five years) issues so I could stay in India till 2022 if I wanted, but I'm still going to fly back as soon as commercial travel reopens. India isn't all that safe to be in either.
 

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
8,683
1,265
Category........
PNP
I understand your thought process - as it happens, I'm stuck in India right now with a toddler myself. I have no RO (already stayed more than 850 days in my first five years) issues so I could stay in India till 2022 if I wanted, but I'm still going to fly back as soon as commercial travel reopens. India isn't all that safe to be in either.
I hope you get to fly back soon. I have a trip planned myself sometime in late August, looks like I'm not gonna be able to make it.
 

kalyan0606

Member
May 2, 2020
10
0
1. If she is allowed in without being reported (this is highly likely), then she just has to stay in Canada till she has met RO and then apply for renewal. Do not apply for renewal unless you are certain that she meets RO. The only real chance of being reported happens when you interact with CBSA/IRCC in some way - either at the border, or when you apply for PR renewal.

2. Yeah, June is fine. As others have said, the sooner she can travel the better. Waiting for a vaccine is not a good idea since there's absolutely no real information on when or whether a vaccine is going to happen. Best to fly back when the flights open and then you don't need to stress about RO/PR. I understand your thought process - as it happens, I'm stuck in India right now with a toddler myself. I have no RO (already stayed more than 850 days in my first five years) issues so I could stay in India till 2022 if I wanted, but I'm still going to fly back as soon as commercial travel reopens. India isn't all that safe to be in either.
Thank you for your time . After a long discussion, now we have decided to travel in June (hoping lockdown will be lifted in June) by leaving our baby in India. Once we get the vaccine for Covid, my parents will bring the baby.

Thanks for your support.
 

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
5,120
1,510
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I hope you get to fly back soon. I have a trip planned myself sometime in late August, looks like I'm not gonna be able to make it.
Thanks. Yeah, I hope so too - but on the other hand, I'm very fortunate to be staying with family here. I have no real issues with food, stay, expenses, and my job supports fully remote as well. And Etihad is being very good with rescheduling flights - we can fly anytime between now and July 31 with no extra charge.

That's why I chose not to fly back on the evacuation flights. There are many other Canadians in India who really had to return. I spoke to a few and it really is difficult if you're stuck here (or anywhere, I guess) because you came for a work trip/tourism, and you're in a hotel without any local support.

It was crazy how quickly it happened though. We flew to India on 10th Feb, and at that time no one had any inkling that the whole world would essentially just shut down! A month later (return flights were 20 March), and we were stuck.
 

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
8,683
1,265
Category........
PNP
Thanks. Yeah, I hope so too - but on the other hand, I'm very fortunate to be staying with family here. I have no real issues with food, stay, expenses, and my job supports fully remote as well. And Etihad is being very good with rescheduling flights - we can fly anytime between now and July 31 with no extra charge.

That's good to know - Nothing like being with family in these tough times. Consider this a long vacation :cool: lol.

That's why I chose not to fly back on the evacuation flights. There are many other Canadians in India who really had to return. I spoke to a few and it really is difficult if you're stuck here (or anywhere, I guess) because you came for a work trip/tourism, and you're in a hotel without any local support.

Oh yeah, for sure.

It was crazy how quickly it happened though. We flew to India on 10th Feb, and at that time no one had any inkling that the whole world would essentially just shut down! A month later (return flights were 20 March), and we were stuck.

Yeah, that's really unfortunate. The good thing is, it is *slightly* getting better and hopefully, we'll all be able to enjoy being outside in the near future!
 

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
26,636
5,734
Thanks. Yeah, I hope so too - but on the other hand, I'm very fortunate to be staying with family here. I have no real issues with food, stay, expenses, and my job supports fully remote as well. And Etihad is being very good with rescheduling flights - we can fly anytime between now and July 31 with no extra charge.

That's why I chose not to fly back on the evacuation flights. There are many other Canadians in India who really had to return. I spoke to a few and it really is difficult if you're stuck here (or anywhere, I guess) because you came for a work trip/tourism, and you're in a hotel without any local support.

It was crazy how quickly it happened though. We flew to India on 10th Feb, and at that time no one had any inkling that the whole world would essentially just shut down! A month later (return flights were 20 March), and we were stuck.
Wasn’t that quick. I advised anyone travelling in the beginning of March to be ready to get stuck there for months or cancel their trip. Also advised people to return home earlier in March. Some did, some got stuck and some got back with strict quarantine for 14 days. Once the virus left China there was a high chance that it could have spread. SARS spread and global travel has increased dramatically since then.