+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to renew Ontario health card, still have no PR card.

KhaledAR1994

Feb 5, 2021
I need to renew my Ontario health card next month, however, I still don’t have my PR card. I do have my CoPR, but that expired in March 2022. Would by SIN documentation and driver’s license be enough?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I need to renew my Ontario health card next month, however, I still don’t have my PR card. I do have my CoPR, but that expired in March 2022. Would by SIN documentation and driver’s license be enough?
Driver license and health card don't have the same expiry dates?

KhaledAR1994

Feb 5, 2021
Driver license and health card don't have the same expiry dates?

nope. My driver’s license expires in 2025, and my OHIP card expires this September (not sure why they only gave me 2 years with my health card)

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
nope. My driver’s license expires in 2025, and my OHIP card expires this October (not sure why they only gave me 2 years with my health card)
Unless your address has changed, there is a good chance you will be able to renew OHIP without having to present documentation of your PR status. You may even be able to do it online.

Other than an initial application for OHIP coverage, I am not sure what might trigger being required to present documentation of status. Maybe if your address has changed, but I am not sure about this.

Personal experience (FWIW): Other than when I initially applied for OHIP, I have not been asked to present any documentation of my status in Canada for any of the several times my OHIP has been renewed over the last decade plus. I have not changed my address in all these years (been in this exact house for a decade and a half now). In fact, even though I have been a citizen for nearly a full decade, in my last two renewals I noticed that OHIP still shows me as a PR, something which I have been meaning to fix with OHIP but, well, I'm old and slow and tend to be a bit careless about such things.

KhaledAR1994

Feb 5, 2021
Unless your address has changed, there is a good chance you will be able to renew OHIP without having to present documentation of your PR status. You may even be able to do it online.

Other than an initial application for OHIP coverage, I am not sure what might trigger being required to present documentation of status. Maybe if your address has changed, but I am not sure about this.

Personal experience (FWIW): Other than when I initially applied for OHIP, I have not been asked to present any documentation of my status in Canada for any of the several times my OHIP has been renewed over the last decade plus. I have not changed my address in all these years (been in this exact house for a decade and a half now). In fact, even though I have been a citizen for nearly a full decade, in my last two renewals I noticed that OHIP still shows me as a PR, something which I have been meaning to fix with OHIP but, well, I'm old and slow and tend to be a bit careless about such things.

My address has changed, actually. And true - when i renewed my license some years ago they didn’t ask for any further documentation. That being said, my SIN should be enough of an indicator if they do ask + i’ll have my CoPR in case seeing that I don’t have any other documentation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When did you land in Canada and have you been living in Ontario through that time period?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My address has changed, actually. And true - when i renewed my license some years ago they didn’t ask for any further documentation. That being said, my SIN should be enough of an indicator if they do ask + i’ll have my CoPR in case seeing that I don’t have any other documentation.
A SIN will no be enough. Have you been living in Ontario since you landed and when did you land? Why don’t you have a PR card yet? If you can proof that you have been living continuously in Ontario then that can be used as proof.