+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need some information (Sponsoring wife)

rick2005

Nov 21, 2007
Hi everybody,

I am getting married next Spring to my fiance. She is a Chinese national. I'm a Chinese-Canadian citizen. Lived in Canada for the last 20 years. I am 26. We met about 2.5 years ago and got engaged this past summer. I have visited her three times in the last 2.5 years including staying there for 6 months as a student. I was wondering what is the process of sponsoring her to Canada? We will get married in China since it is easier for her family and my family as well (most of my extended family live throughout Asia). Will this be a problem? I also don't want her to drop her Chinese citizenship (we only plan on her getting PR status) since I have plans to possibly relocate to China in 5-10 years. I know we will have to attend an interview? What do I need to bring to the interview. I have kept all our photos and videos of us together, phone logs, emails, and chat logs. I even kept the plane and train tickets. I was also wondering how long does the process usually take and whether I should start the process now or after we are married?

Thanks to anybody who answers! I know I am really clueless. I actually didn't start doing research about immigration issues until now.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rick2005 said:
Hi everybody,

I am getting married next Spring to my fiance. She is a Chinese national. I'm a Chinese-Canadian citizen. Lived in Canada for the last 20 years. I am 26. We met about 2.5 years ago and got engaged this past summer. I have visited her three times in the last 2.5 years including staying there for 6 months as a student. I was wondering what is the process of sponsoring her to Canada? We will get married in China since it is easier for her family and my family as well (most of my extended family live throughout Asia). Will this be a problem? I also don't want her to drop her Chinese citizenship (we only plan on her getting PR status) since I have plans to possibly relocate to China in 5-10 years. I know we will have to attend an interview? What do I need to bring to the interview. I have kept all our photos and videos of us together, phone logs, emails, and chat logs. I even kept the plane and train tickets. I was also wondering how long does the process usually take and whether I should start the process now or after we are married?

Thanks to anybody who answers! I know I am really clueless. I actually didn't start doing research about immigration issues until now.
1. Start your reading at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp all the information and forms are here.
2. You can't start the sponsorship process until you are married.
3. She can have the medical and obtain the PCCs (Police Certificate) before marriage, but only a month or two as the medical is only valid for 12 months, and the PCC can't be older than 6 months. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3903e.pdf
4. If you document your relationship really well, she may not require an interview.

PMM

rick2005

Nov 21, 2007
Thanks for the information!

Do you have any advise for documenting our relationship?

Basically over the last 2 years, I have kept logs of our chats on MSN, my phone bills, photos and videos of us together. I'm not really sure what we are suppose to give? Do you have an idea of what they usually want?

Thanks!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Re documenting your relationship, it sounds like you're doing a good job. Be sure to include pictures from your wedding, bank statements (if you did any international wire transfers, for instance), vacation pictures, copies of hotel bills, and air ticket stubs.

If you are asked to interview, be prepared to answer any question that a husband/wife would know about each other.