+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Help/Suggestion for Sponsoring Mom & Bro (minor)

xtrmr2003

Aug 11, 2010
Hi everyone !!

I have gone through several pages on CIC's website but unfortunately did not find any relevant information. So thought to check with all the experts out here and probably someone might have an answer to my question.

For the last 5 years I was in Canada where I completed my post grad studies and right after studies started working. In 2015 my dad passed away back home leaving my mom and younger brother alone. When i say back home it means Pakistan but my family lived their life in Abu Dhabi, UAE on Dads sponsorship residence visa. Due to critical illness of my dad they went back home for the treatment where he eventually passed away.

Right after my dad passed away, I returned back to Abu Dhabi to look after my mom and brother. Am currently a PR of Canada but since my mom and bro were alone, I had to leave Canada and be with them. I am looking forward to travel back to Canada to work and live there but cannot do so without leaving my mom and bro behind.

If anyone can guide or suggest me the best action to take or if there is a way to take my family along or ask cic for consideration under H&C. Please let me know.

Appreciate your suggestions and help.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Their only option for returning to Canada with you immediately is a visitor visa (TRV). However this won't allow them to move to Canada - it will only allow them to visit for a short permit of time (and they won't be able to work, study or take advantage of Canada's health care system). Note there's also no guarantee their TRVs will be approved. To be approved, they will need to demonstrate that they have strong ties to their home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

H&C is not an option for people outside of Canada. In order to apply for H&C, the applicant must be physically in Canada.

You may be able to eventually sponsor your mother for PR (and include your brother as a dependent provided he is young enough). However this won't be possible until at least four years after you have returned to Canada and started working here again.

Once you are in Canada and working, you may qualify to bring your mother to Canada on a super visa which would allow a longer visit than a regular visitor visa. However your brother cannot be included as a dependent on the super visa.

xtrmr2003

Aug 11, 2010
scylla said:
Their only option for returning to Canada with you immediately is a visitor visa (TRV). However this won't allow them to move to Canada - it will only allow them to visit for a short permit of time (and they won't be able to work, study or take advantage of Canada's health care system). Note there's also no guarantee their TRVs will be approved. To be approved, they will need to demonstrate that they have strong ties to their home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

H&C is not an option for people outside of Canada. In order to apply for H&C, the applicant must be physically in Canada.

You may be able to eventually sponsor your mother for PR (and include your brother as a dependent provided he is young enough). However this won't be possible until at least four years after you have returned to Canada and started working here again.

Once you are in Canada and working, you may qualify to bring your mother to Canada on a super visa which would allow a longer visit than a regular visitor visa. However your brother cannot be included as a dependent on the super visa.
Thanks for your reply.

So one aspect is clear that nothing can be done under H&C if outside Canada.

Secondly, as you mentioned I can sponsor mom and also add my brother in the application since hes 16 but why do I have to wait for next 4 years after arriving to Canada. Are you saying that i need to be a citizen before i can apply for them?

Please clarify on this.

Thanks once again Scylla. Appreciate it!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you don't need to be a citizen. However you need to meet the income requirements for three years in a row to qualify as a sponsor and this income must be from Canadian sources (i.e. from a job in Canada). You need to provide CRA notice of assessments to prove this income. Since it takes time for your tax returns to be processed, it will be a minimum of four years until you have three Canadian tax returns in a row that have the minimum income requirements to sponsor. All of this information is readily available on the CIC web site.