+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Need help] Regarding foreign work experience CEC.

nad_16

Star Member
Nov 19, 2022
Hello everyone, I am confused about how much foreign work experience you have while applying under the CEC category. I do have one year of Canadian work experience but back home I work for 11 months for one company and 2 months for another company but there is a big break between both jobs, Can I still claim points for foreign work experience as there is a break?
Someone told me if you are applying for FSW then it should be continuous, but is this the same requirement for CEC?
Thanks

Reactions: classico33

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone, I am confused about how much foreign work experience you have while applying under the CEC category. I do have one year of Canadian work experience but back home I work for 11 months for one company and 2 months for another company but there is a big break between both jobs, Can I still claim points for foreign work experience as there is a break?
Someone told me if you are applying for FSW then it should be continuous, but is this the same requirement for CEC?
Thanks
To count your first year of foreign experience, you need at least one year, of continuous skilled experience in one NOC. If you have a break then you cannot count your foreign experience.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Do you have 1yr of work experience in Canada? That's the requirement for CEC not your previous work back home.

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
To count your first year of foreign experience, you need at least one year, of continuous skilled experience in one NOC. If you have a break then you cannot count your foreign experience.
That one full year is for eligibility for EE, which the OP already has because he stated it is CEC.
His questions is about foreign exp, about claiming points only.
Based on what I know, there is no rules that invalidate OP's exp in this case.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
That one full year is for eligibility for EE, which the OP already has because he stated it is CEC.
His questions is about foreign exp, about claiming points only.
Based on what I know, there is no rules that invalidate OP's exp in this case.
But to count any foreign experience, you need at least one year of continuous skilled work experience in one NOC.

ihrudai

Apr 17, 2017
I’m currently on open WP currently working for an employer( Company A) in Canada in NOC B job and opened up my profile. Since I didn’t meet the CRS score, I got an LMIA from a different employer ( Company B). Can I use this LMIA to claim 50 points, while working for company A on PGWP? I don’t have plans to leave my current job and start working for the employer who gave an LMIA for me.

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
But to count any foreign experience, you need at least one year of continuous skilled work experience in one NOC.
This is not what I have learned.

For example, this Youtube video,
, says that as long as you meet the eligibility requirement, which the OP does because he already said "I do have one year of Canadian work experience", all the other work exp can simply be combined without any further requirements.

But, of course, no guarantee that that video is 100% correct.

The requirement you quoted, "you need at least one year of continuous skilled work experience in one NOC", that is for FSW applicants to meet the minimum eligibility requirement, which doesn't apply to the OP, because he is a CEC applicant

nad_16

Star Member
Nov 19, 2022
This is not what I have learned.

For example, this Youtube video,
, says that as long as you meet the eligibility requirement, which the OP does because he already said "I do have one year of Canadian work experience", all the other work exp can simply be combined without any further requirements.

But, of course, no guarantee that that video is 100% correct.

The requirement you quoted, "you need at least one year of continuous skilled work experience in one NOC", that is for FSW applicants to meet the minimum eligibility requirement, which doesn't apply to the OP, because he is a CEC applicant
Yeah, I also saw this video that's why I ask on this forum, got confused a bit.

nad_16

Star Member
Nov 19, 2022
Hey did you ever figure this out? I am in the same position as you
Hi,
I research on this and it feels like we cannot claims point for this if it's below 12 months and not continuous so in my case, I am short of 30 days so I will not be claiming any points for foreign experience.

Jul 31, 2023
I actually asked an immigration consultant about this today and he said you can claim foreign experience. The continuity requirement only applies to the foreign experience under FSW. As long as you're eligible under one class everything else can be aggregated.

classico33

Jul 4, 2023
I actually asked an immigration consultant about this today and he said you can claim foreign experience. The continuity requirement only applies to the foreign experience under FSW. As long as you're eligible under one class everything else can be aggregated.
That is awesome!

Can I still claim this experience by combining 3month in-canada experience with 9mo foreign experience?

Context:
1. The "foreign experience" was me working remotely for my Canadian Employer through a PGWP for 9months from outside canada across 3 different periods (1mo, 7.5mo, 0.5mo)
2. Combined with 3mos of working inside Canada
3. All taxes, paystubs and bank statements in Canada

I already meet the minimum eligibility for CEC through an addtional year of experience working inside Canada for the same employer.

Please help!! I have an ITA and am unsure what to do.

Daman1223

Sep 25, 2023
Hi, I just came across this problem after talking to some people. I am 13 days short of one year exp. in India but at the time of application I got the invite as the system sends invite based on months. Do you know anything about this? Will i be able to still claim points?

ksreek123

Sep 5, 2023
Hey ,
Any updates on this.Did u claim point ?