+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Help please on planning a short Landing!

SaadM

Jan 20, 2016
Hello Friends,

As stated on the subject, I need help planning a short Landing.

Current situation :

Me and my (pregnant) Wife and my daughter are Express Entry Applicants that need to land by the End of March as a deadline on the Visa.
We are planning to land in Montreal and settle in Toronto as planned.

The plan so far :

Take a flight on end of november, Arrival airport will be Montreal where we will proceed with the PR process (I will Give them my brother in law Adress in Montreal).

We will stay one night there and move the next day by car to Toronto to open a bank account and proceed with the SIN.

For OHIP i understand that you should be there (Ontario) for 3 months to be able and eligible to apply. what can i do in that case ?

we will be staying on a Air BNB accomodation For a Month

Then here is where I get really confused ??? :

1 - can we all go back to our country and come bac to Canada once PR issued ? will it be valid? won't the Officers at airport deny us entry for short landing ?

2 - OHIP will cover us after 3 months of initial landing or starting from our come back ?

3 - Thinking of letting my wife in Montreal with her brother and his wife until she giver birth and then get her home ? (delivery planned on April)

4 - Come back Home (all 3 of us) get the baby delivered in home country and ....

Any idea ? what should we do ? :'(

PS : we require a visa to go to canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to provide a non-Quebec address for the mailing of your PR cards. If you provide a Quebec address you could be refused landing.

The three month wait time for OHIP will start once you have returned to Canada.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi,

first of all, you cannot give an address in Montreal when you are landing. FSW and CEC (I assume you immigrated through one of these two programs) do not allow you to settle in Montreal (which is in Quebec, a province with its own immigration program). Later, as a PR, you are of course allowed to move anywhere. But you can't settle in Montreal in the beginning.

I am aware that you don't want to settle in Montreal, but Toronto instead. However, when entering Canada you have to give them your own address. You can't give them the Montreal address and say that it's the address of a relative. A lot of people do a short landing and give the address of relatives, but you have to at least pretend it is your own address. As Montreal is in Quebec, you can't do so.

Doing a short landing itself is not a problem. However, do not wait for more that three years after the short landing to actually land or you would be in breach of your residency obligation.

Regarding OHIP: You can't apply for OHIP before you actually move to Ontario. You have to stay in Ontario for 153 out of the first 183 days (only 30 days abroad!) when you apply for OHIP.

Regarding your pregnant wife: If your wife will give birth before the waiting period is over, the birth won't be covered by public health insurance. Since your wife already is pregnant, no private insurance will accept to insure her birth anymore. So if she gives birth in Canada, you will have to pay for all expenses yourself.

Good luck!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If baby is born in Canada they will be a Canadian citizen at birth.

If baby is born in your home country they will be a citizen of your home country and you will then need to sponsor baby for PR. To do this at least 1 parent must be physically residing in Canada. If your country is not visa-exempt to come to Canada, the baby will need to apply for a TRV or TRP simply to come here. If those are refused (which is quite possible), then 1 parent must live in Canada and the other in home country to care for baby while PR app is processing. This could be a long time to spend apart (up to 1 year).

Keep in mind to deliver baby in Ontario, your wife will need to be here 3 months first to qualify for OHIP. During the 3 months waiting time any hospital visits or check-ups due to pregnancy will need to be paid by you out of pocket. Be careful if getting travel medical insurance on exactly what they do and don't cover for pregnancy related issues.

SaadM

Jan 20, 2016
Thanks a lot for your help.

Considering all these new infos, I think a short landing will bring more complications since i can't afford my wife to stay alone in any other province but quebec :'(

one more thing please :

I told the CIC officer that i'm willing to settle in Toronto and he notified that on the 'Copr' ( i think it's the name of the documents they gave us with the visa), Can I upon arrival change destination and move to Alberta for exemple ? as theyr health system coverage starts on day. And is there any obligations of staying in Alberta as for ontario and OHIP ?

Ohh and in the case I rent an appartement, how will they know that i'm actually staying at that province and not moved to another one if I i pay rent on time ? will they come looking ?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
SaadM said:
Can I upon arrival change destination and move to Alberta for exemple ? as theyr health system coverage starts on day. And is there any obligations of staying in Alberta as for ontario and OHIP ?
if you go to Alberta just to qualify for health care ASAP, get the care you need and then immediately leave, Alberta can ask for reimbursement for any treatments covered under their provincial health care since you never really established yourself as a true resident. I don't know how long you need to stay to avoid having to reimburse the province after leaving. Some people say 6 months should be enough.