+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help filling out the Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union (IMM 5409 E)

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Exactly, thank God for that! Make sure you provide as many evidence as possible to substantiate your common-law relationship. Let me know if you need help with that. :)

Reactions: marineking

marineking

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Exactly, thank God for that! Make sure you provide as many evidence as possible to substantiate your common-law relationship. Let me know if you need help with that. :)
Thanks! I have actually started this other topic the other day asking for opinions about the evidence, and the general consensus there was that it should be enough.

Reactions: tapioca and EE456

Rafraf

Star Member
Dec 12, 2018
They did it :) and the notary even gave her business card in case CIC wants to contact her. No need for extra reals, I guess some people are just inherently nice. And some others, well...

Hi marineking,

Could you please tell me how you got the imm5409 form notarized?

1-If in Canad, how is this possible?

2- If in country of origin, who is supposed to sign it or to have it notarized?
a-The Embassy of Canada in my country? In this case, what should I provide to the Embassy?
b- or just any notary public in my country?

Thank you so much

KDRoy

Dec 7, 2018
Hi all,
Can anyone tell what to do in case one is separated for more than 6 years, already filed for divorce , but divorce is not yet finalised as the estranged spouse is absconding from the court appearances ? There is no information about the current whereabouts of that person and the legal notices are sent to last known office address .
What to attach in exhibit in this case where it is already declared as legally separated in the personal details section?
Any informed reply will be appreciated.

Thanks .

marineking

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi marineking,

Could you please tell me how you got the imm5409 form notarized?

1-If in Canad, how is this possible?

2- If in country of origin, who is supposed to sign it or to have it notarized?
a-The Embassy of Canada in my country? In this case, what should I provide to the Embassy?
b- or just any notary public in my country?

Thank you so much
I got it notarized from a local notary who notarizes english documents. Not all of them do it in non-english speaking countries. I went to like 3 places until found someone who "supported" english.

1 - If in Canada this should be easy, just take it to a notary public
2 - Outside of Canada, that was my case. As I said, find a notary who accepts english documents.
The Canadian Embassy surely does that, I've seen cases of other folks here saying how nice and willing to help they were. However, since Canadian Embassy is too far away from where I was, I had to try first the regular public notary offices, thankfully found one that accepted it.

Reactions: Rafraf

marineking

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi all,
Can anyone tell what to do in case one is separated for more than 6 years, already filed for divorce , but divorce is not yet finalised as the estranged spouse is absconding from the court appearances ? There is no information about the current whereabouts of that person and the legal notices are sent to last known office address .
What to attach in exhibit in this case where it is already declared as legally separated in the personal details section?
Any informed reply will be appreciated.

Thanks .
This seems like a complex/delicate case, I would suggest you create a new topic for it

Reactions: KDRoy

woti

May 26, 2018
They did it :) and the notary even gave her business card in case CIC wants to contact her. No need for extra reals, I guess some people are just inherently nice. And some others, well...
Hi, I am also from Brazil, and I want to know from you how much did you pay for a Notary Public Officer to sign out the form for you?
Thanks ;)

woti

May 26, 2018
Don't worry, it's standard notary seal charges, I don't remember exactly, maybe 5 bucks
Oh I see... did the Immigration accept it?
How is you application going? Any update?
I am in Canadá under OWP, and I want to bring my girl, she is Br.

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
Wow, I am in Florianopolis Brazil, and am currently having the very same issue. Were you able to go to any lawyer to have them witness the declaration? Or did you go to a Cartório de Notas? Marineking, I think you and I are very similar. I am also applying FSW, with an IT NOC code. I saw your other post too, about common law start dates. I am in a similar boat.

marineking

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Were you able to go to any lawyer to have them witness the declaration? Or did you go to a Cartório de Notas?
No need for laywers, just find a notary office (aka Cartorio) willing to notarize an english document (the IMM 5409 E). Eventually you'll find one that does it.

Last resort is to go to the Canadian embassy/consulate, they'll happily notarize it for you there. I didn't need to resort to that so I can't give much information about it.

tatotato

Dec 8, 2017
Wow, I am in Florianopolis Brazil, and am currently having the very same issue. Were you able to go to any lawyer to have them witness the declaration? Or did you go to a Cartório de Notas? Marineking, I think you and I are very similar. I am also applying FSW, with an IT NOC code. I saw your other post too, about common law start dates. I am in a similar boat.
My in-laws live in FLN. They had to notarize a Deed of Gift in english and just went to a Cartório. As long you already have a signature registered with them, they don't care about the document language.