+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help filling out the Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union (IMM 5409 E)

Mel_da

Jul 15, 2020
Hi Mel_da and marineking, here's a follow up on my case.
I got a recommended pass for my application after submitting a notarized IMM 5409 form with a letter of explanation including life insurance, a bit more than a year of rental receipts, and photos of me with my partner going back a few years.
Hi Tapioca,

:) glad to hear that , I am under stress right now . I hope that our evidences will be enough and sufficient.

just some questions: for the pictures : How many did you send? was it only with your partner or was there some friends or family members on the pictures? and most importantly how did you send them? because now I have them only in digital format, did you print them individually like normal photos ?

Best Regards,

marineking

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hii @marineking ,
Thank you very much for your return, I really liked the way you detailed the proofs (so clear!) . I am not sure about your origins, but i'am leaving in Turkey right now , and all the documents are in Turkish language (rental agreement, bills , residency certificate ..ect). I know I have to translate everything , is that enough ?
Can you please tell how did you proceed if the language of your documents was different than English or French (which are the only languages accepted by IRCC)?
For every document not in English or French (including bills, rental agreements or anything else), you'll have to provide both the original document as well as a version translated by a certified translator (sometimes called notarized translator). That applies to everything you are sending as part of your application, not only related to the common-law stuff. More info here.

Can you please tell how did you proceed if the language of your documents was different than English or French (which are the only languages accepted by IRCC)?
When attaching proof to the application, for each "category" (common-law being one of them), you'll create a PDF document containing all the supporting proofs. So I had several pages of original scans followed by several pages of translations and that worked for me.
I had many documents in foreign language in my application. I have used docsbase.ca to translate them.

Mel_da

Jul 15, 2020
For every document not in English or French (including bills, rental agreements or anything else), you'll have to provide both the original document as well as a version translated by a certified translator (sometimes called notarized translator). That applies to everything you are sending as part of your application, not only related to the common-law stuff. More info here.

When attaching proof to the application, for each "category" (common-law being one of them), you'll create a PDF document containing all the supporting proofs. So I had several pages of original scans followed by several pages of translations and that worked for me.
I had many documents in foreign language in my application. I have used docsbase.ca to translate them.

:) Well, I don't really think that "thank you! " would be enough, but have nothing left to say ; Thank you !

So If I got the point , you make a PDF document for the online application , but when you receive an acceptance to apply for PR , you gotta send everything in the same envelope , right? what about the pictures that proofs your conjugal relationship, do I need to send them as real photos? and approximately, how many did you send?

For the website you have provided (docsbase.ca), do they apply expensive charges for the translated articles?

Once again, I'm really happy you are replying to my posts , you already made everything clear!

have a nice day!

marineking

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
So If I got the point , you make a PDF document for the online application , but when you receive an acceptance to apply for PR , you gotta send everything in the same envelope , right? what about the pictures that proofs your conjugal relationship, do I need to send them as real photos? and approximately, how many did you send?
You make several PDF docs, not just one, but only when you receive the Invitation to Apply (ITA) is that you need to attach them in the online system. More info here. You don't ever need to send physical documents (unless something changed in the past two years, best you do your own research to find out).
I did not send any pictures in my application.

For the website you have provided (docsbase.ca), do they apply expensive charges for the translated articles?
They can get you a free quote if you show them what you want to translate. To me, they were the cheapest and quickest option by far, and you don't need to be in Canada in order to use their translation services.

tapioca

Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
22-02-2020
Passport Req..
13-01-2022
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2022
Last edited:

tapioca

Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
22-02-2020
Passport Req..
13-01-2022
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2022
Hi Tapioca,

:) glad to hear that , I am under stress right now . I hope that our evidences will be enough and sufficient.

just some questions: for the pictures : How many did you send? was it only with your partner or was there some friends or family members on the pictures? and most importantly how did you send them? because now I have them only in digital format, did you print them individually like normal photos ?

Best Regards,
I pasted them in a word document in landscape mode. About 2 to 3 photos for every year of the relationship. 4 photos per page max, they were reduced in size but definitely still discernable. Again this is a collage in a PDF document, so I wrote each corresponding date in bright text over the photos as IRCC officers would not be able to actually see the original photos' timestamps (only proof of a photo being shot on a given date).

Anyway, this seems to have met the IRCC's standards.

Last edited:

tapioca

Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
22-02-2020
Passport Req..
13-01-2022
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2022
You make several PDF docs, not just one, but only when you receive the Invitation to Apply (ITA) is that you need to attach them in the online system. More info here. You don't ever need to send physical documents (unless something changed in the past two years, best you do your own research to find out).
I did not send any pictures in my application.

They can get you a free quote if you show them what you want to translate. To me, they were the cheapest and quickest option by far, and you don't need to be in Canada in order to use their translation services.
I too used Docbase Canada and cannot recommend their services enough. Free quote with Canadian official recognition for translations are a must.

tapioca

Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
22-02-2020
Passport Req..
13-01-2022
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2022
:) Well, I don't really think that "thank you! " would be enough, but have nothing left to say ; Thank you !

Once again, I'm really happy you are replying to my posts , you already made everything clear!

have a nice day!
By the way, the photos only serve to show the emotional dimension of the common-law partnership to the IRCC. Financial support and physical proximity are two other aspects, among others, that immigration officers need to review to actually validate the existence of your relationship under the Canadian law. I would recommend not spending too much time on the photos themselves. Rather try and gather as many proofs as you can so your application bears sufficient and enough informations for them to not ask twice.

The IMM 5409 form is to be included and signed at all cost. This is the most important document of all. Trust me, one of my applications got rejected for not understanding that clearly from the get-go.

tapioca

Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
22-02-2020
Passport Req..
13-01-2022
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2022
You do not need to send anything by physical mail. This can be entirely done over the Internet on the CIC website. It will be easier, cheaper, and faster for all parties involved.
More on Docbase, I paid CA$ 54 for two police certificates (I had a discount code, but original price was CA$ 57, so not a big difference). They did great as they sent me the scanned certified translations by email in just two working days.
Docbase provided more affordable rates than all certified translators recognized under Canadian law.

It is worth spending a little on translations. One other application I initially submitted got rejected because I overlooked the fact that all of the application documents, including foreign police certificates, have to be either in English or French.

marineking

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Dear all,

the date "from" "to" on my IMM 5409 goes until Nov. 13, 2020 but was signed at the bottom on Nov. 11, 2020.

Is the document still valid or should I redo it?

Thanks
It may not make any difference, who knows. But if going back there and fixing it is an option, personally I would do it, even if it means paying notary fees again.

tapioca

Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
22-02-2020
Passport Req..
13-01-2022
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2022
It may not make any difference, who knows. But if going back there and fixing it is an option, personally I would do it, even if it means paying notary fees again.
Agreed. Also, I can't think of any option that would not constitute a crime. Backdating, postdating, or trying to alter any written information can amount to falsifying this document. That is a criminal offense in Canada. It gets worse if the document has already been signed by an official.

bandwidth

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2010
AOR Received.
05-10-2010 1st AOR; 23-03-2011 2nd AOR; 08-03-2012 In Process
Med's Request
23-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 (Passport Submitted: 16-01-2013)
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2013
Does this form need to be signed by both at the same time IN FRONT of notary public/commisioner of oaths? My problem is declarant (me) is here in Canada, while my partner lives outside Canada.

marineking

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Does this form need to be signed by both at the same time IN FRONT of notary public/commisioner of oaths? My problem is declarant (me) is here in Canada, while my partner lives outside Canada.
So you don't share a household together? This may not be considered common law to the IRCC. You better consult with an expert.

Last edited:

bandwidth

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2010
AOR Received.
05-10-2010 1st AOR; 23-03-2011 2nd AOR; 08-03-2012 In Process
Med's Request
23-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 (Passport Submitted: 16-01-2013)
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2013
So you don't share a household together? This may not be considered common law to the ICCRC. You better consult with an expert.
We lived together for one year.

marineking

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
We lived together for one year.
I see, ok. Back to your original question: I was gonna say that if the notary is willing to notarize the IMM5409 doc without both signatures then it should be fine. However, upon looking at the form, I see that there's only one field for the name and signature of the person (not people) who administered the declaration. Who would sign it? The notary who notarized your signature or your partner's? So this is a bit tricky, I guess in the end depends on the willingness of the notary to attest an already signed document. In my case, the notary had to see us both sign the doc before she could attest it, which makes sense.