+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help filling out the Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union (IMM 5409 E)

bandwidth

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2010
AOR Received.
05-10-2010 1st AOR; 23-03-2011 2nd AOR; 08-03-2012 In Process
Med's Request
23-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 (Passport Submitted: 16-01-2013)
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2013
I see, ok. Back to your original question: I was gonna say that if the notary is willing to notarize the IMM5409 doc without both signatures then it should be fine. However, upon looking at the form, I see that there's only one field for the name and signature of the person (not people) who administered the declaration. Who would sign it? The notary who notarized your signature or your partner's? So this is a bit tricky, I guess in the end depends on the willingness of the notary to attest an already signed document. In my case, the notary had to see us both sign the doc before she could attest it, which makes sense.
Thank you so much for your response. I reached out to a commissioner of oath here in Canada and they're OK to process the form with only me present but have to make sure that the other party outside Canada is also good to do the same with only my partner present there.

tapioca

Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
22-02-2020
Passport Req..
13-01-2022
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2022
Does this form need to be signed by both at the same time IN FRONT of notary public/commisioner of oaths? My problem is declarant (me) is here in Canada, while my partner lives outside Canada.
My partner brought the document I had already signed to the notary. As my signature is registered with this notary and they can recognize my signature on public documents, it was too much of a hassle. This was in Brazil, so YMMV. Although, you could explore whether similar options are available in Canada or your partner's country.

tapioca

Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
22-02-2020
Passport Req..
13-01-2022
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2022
Thank you so much for your response. I reached out to a commissioner of oath here in Canada and they're OK to process the form with only me present but have to make sure that the other party outside Canada is also good to do the same with only my partner present there.
This is great news!

bandwidth

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2010
AOR Received.
05-10-2010 1st AOR; 23-03-2011 2nd AOR; 08-03-2012 In Process
Med's Request
23-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 (Passport Submitted: 16-01-2013)
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2013
Are there supporting documents need to bring to notary public or commissioner of oaths to support the statutory declaration?

tapioca

Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
22-02-2020
Passport Req..
13-01-2022
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2022
Are there supporting documents need to bring to notary public or commissioner of oaths to support the statutory declaration?
My FSW Express Entry application reached the final approval waiting stage (passed all the necessary eligibility requirements) having to notarize only this common-law realtionship document.

tapioca

Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
22-02-2020
Passport Req..
13-01-2022
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2022
Hi Mel_da and marineking, here's a follow up on my case.
I got a recommended pass for my application after submitting a notarized IMM 5409 form with a letter of explanation including life insurance, a bit more than a year of rental receipts, and photos of me with my partner going back a few years.
Here's a quick follow-up on that matter and the necessary documents to send with the IMM 5409.
Those documents were enough to prove we were common-law partners.
Our application was approved without any additional document request.
We received our CoPRs.

german_flyer

Jun 27, 2022
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Thank you so much for your precious help!
This saves me from some headaches.

The only problem I have now is that all notaries in Amsterdam can only legalise my and my girlfriend's signature. They don't want to sign the IMM form itself. Also the embassy refused to help us. Still looking around and calling all notaries I can find, otherwise I think I'll just send it to IRCC together with the legalised signatures + apostille from the notary. As well as proofs of addresses from the municipality and some bills that both of us have at the same address.

Thx again!
Hey, @andreiger , I am in the same position as you back then, that the notary would not sign the form itself but rather legalise and notarize it on a separate page.
Did you go ahead with sending the form without the notary's signature on the form itself but rather on a separate page?
Did you get approved despite that or were there problems?
Thanks! :)

ElMexi

Aug 21, 2020
I couldn't find this information anywhere, and seeing all the rejection cases, I don't want to take any risks...

The Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union (IMM 5409 E) has a "from" and "to" field to insert the dates of the relationship. For an ongoing relationship, should I leave the "to" field blank, or should I use the date the document was signed and notarized? Which direction you took when filling out yours?

I would appreciate any help.
Hi, @marineking thank you very much for helping a lot of people in this thread even though you already got the answer you was looking for. I am glad there is still people willing to help the community :D

I do have a question, did you got the imm5409e form apostilled? I just went back home from notarizing our signatures, but I am not sure if this document needs to be apostilled or the signature & stamps of the notary is enought.

Regards and again thank for helping the community :D I will take a look at some post here once I got my student visa approved, then I will know that I did everything right and can start helping other people :)!

Last edited:

marineking

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I do have a question, did you got the imm5409e form apostilled? I just went back home from notarizing our signatures, but I am not sure if this document needs to be apostilled or the signature & stamps of the notary is enought.
I am not familiar with the term so, no. I did not get the docs apostilled. Getting the signature and stamps of the notary was enough in my case.

Reactions: ElMexi

Maria04

Oct 4, 2021
Hello Everyone, I´m trying to fill out the IMM 5409 however I have some doubts in the first box in the blank space that says ___________( name of city, townm village) country of _____________( if applicable) in ________________(name of province, state, territory) in the country of ______________ ( name of country). I am confused which information should I put in each section.

My other question is: I am in Canada as a protected person and my partner is in the USA, how can we both sign the document if we are in different places? anyone with similar experience . I would really appreciate your help!