+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED HELP AND ADVISE - PLEASE !

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello board members,

My spouse applied for Canadian LPR and our entire family was granted LPR status in Canada.

Ever since we landed and returned to US my wife was browsing Canadian job sites, trying to get an interview for a job.
She was applying for jobs directly related to her Skilled Imm. Code, as well as for jobs in other fields.
She even used our Canadian mailing address in resumes, so it wouldnt look at first glance that someone was applying from abroad (and, presumably, needed a sponsorship). Lately, I have added my efforts, also applying for various jobs in Canada.

But, to no avail. We don't even get a call to an interview.

I personaly am doing fine, me and my spouse are both employed full time in US.
We are not doctors, engeneers nor in IT or Oil sector, but we are solidly middle class income wise.
I would not move to Canada right now if it was up to me , but my spouse really wants to and wants our kids go to school/college, mature and live over there.
And I understand why: it's more secure over there for children, it's more peaceful, people are gentler towards each other (which I can't deny, even though I love US very much) and quality of life is perhaps higher in Canada, despite incomes and buying power being lower than here. These are the things that are more important for a mother of growing children than her own personal comfort. And for me, whatever my family wants is what I will stand by and support.

But my question is this: how do we go about finding a job in Canada? Could anyone give any advise, as to how we go about finding a job? After applying for so many jobs with zero responce I am getting a feeling that there are no professional jobs ,or even entry level jobs .And if there are any jobs then they are either not advertised on the net or are filled by personal reference, or are competitive to the point that you may never land an interview or actual job (simply because there are always dozens upon dozens of candidates who are better qualified than you and who apply for each advertised job that you apply for).

So, what shall we do? How can we get a job?

If we don't move there within a certain deadline our permant residency will no longer be valid (we will not be able to meet 730 days in 5 years requirement), and to be fair to all the other LPR's our family will NOT try to get into country past the deadline. As much as the regulaiton is unfair in current economic conditions, where people are unable to find jobs and therefore forced to stay out of Canada, still, these ARE Canadian regulations, and we will not make a home of our new adoptive country by breaking any of the rules it has imposed as a condition of accepting us as one of her own. So, please don't ask or suggest anything in that regard.

But how do you find a professional job in Canada as a newcomer, in current economic conditions?

Please advise!

chs2yyc

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Hi,

Networking is key. Building a relationship with someone or using existing relationships to help you find a job. Think of everyone you know in every group or circle you affiliate with. They are your network. You can expand it online and by joining professional groups or going to industry events.

In terms of online application, familiarize yourself with ATS system that companies use in the hiring process. They receive lots of resumes, so they use software to weed out applicants.

Kijiji can be useful, as some companies who don't have a HR department post jobs there and don't use ATS systems. I landed my current job (which is excellent in pay, hours, benefits, and excellent for advancing my career) from applying on Kijiji.

Volunteering helps you, your community, your resume, can build your network, or lead to a job.

I know the challenges and frustrations of job searching. Hang in there, make some progress every day.

EK

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you EK.

Networking as a way of landing a job is a challenging proposition, and for two main reasons:

Generally, to network you have to be in a network. It takes an individual of rare skills to establish a good relationship (or even casual relationship) with a complete stranger. Some professional salesmen can do that. But for most part, people you approach as a stranger also assess your value as a potential networking asset and show lack of interest of further communication if you don't have such a potential (thus not a good asset for them, rather a waste of time).

Also, even if I tried it as a salesmans' approach ,basically trying to sell myself and present as an asset to complete strangeres, while I offer no benefit at all, other than a potential to become someone valuable in future, still how I can do it from outside of Canada?

I think I am going to try kijiji, this sounds as the best approach in our circumstances. And let things happen as they will.
If it's meant for us to move I guess we will get an offer. If not, then at least we will know we have tried what we could.

Thank you for a valuable advise.

Wish you all the best.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
david1697 said:
As much as the regulaiton is unfair in current economic conditions, where people are unable to find jobs and therefore forced to stay out of Canada, still, these ARE Canadian regulations, and we will not make a home of our new adoptive country by breaking any of the rules it has imposed as a condition of accepting us as one of her own.
FYI, if you think Canada's PR rules are unfair you should take a look at the restrictions the US imposes on it's green card holders. They are even more strict. Compared to the US green card system, the Canadian PR system is very easy to maintain status.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I partiallly agree with you, but please keep in mind that this is not the reason I posted a question and I would prefer not to debate it, because it's irrelevant in practical terms subject. Whether it's fair or not, it is what it is, I can't change or control it.
Thre only reason I brought it up is, it's inevitable that we will loose our LPR in Canada if we don't arrive there wihtin a statutory deadline.
And it's really hard to move there with no prospect of a job.

So, thinking in practical terms I try to figure out how can we get a job in Canada in current economic conditions.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to all who reply!