+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help about my PGWP

leozhang55

Jul 5, 2017
Hi there. I just recent finished my 2yeras tourism and hospitality Canadian Experience Coop Diploma and tourism management diploma from Eton college Canada(private college) my question is that am I engage with PGWP, I heard a lot of negative comment about private college student apply PGWP but just wanna know.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Many private colleges don't qualify for PGWP. It depends on the school and program.

leozhang55

Jul 5, 2017
Your college isn't eligible, sorry,
Should I give a try or no? I work hard at school and doing very good job when I doing my Coop(I even got a recommadtion letter from my work place and job offer), I just feel so sad that I study for 2yrs for nothing.

mosor

Star Member
Jun 28, 2017
Should I give a try or no? I work hard at school and doing very good job when I doing my Coop(I even got a recommadtion letter from my work place and job offer), I just feel so sad that I study for 2yrs for nothing.
You should have researched which schools are eligible before you paid them good money. There are many public schools that have similar programs that would have been eligible.

That being said there is no harm in trying to apply. Sometimes you get an inexperienced officer who might approve it, especially at the border where you don't have to pay up front to get an answer.

leozhang55

Jul 5, 2017
You should have researched which schools are eligible before you paid them good money. There are many public schools that have similar programs that would have been eligible.

That being said there is no harm in trying to apply. Sometimes you get an inexperienced officer who might approve it, especially at the border where you don't have to pay up front to get an answer.
Thank you so much for your help...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's too bad you didn't do research before coming to Canada to study to understand the rules.

You can certainly try applying for the PGWP but should expect it to be refused. Once it's refused, you'll need to stop working immediately and leave Canada. If at all possible, you should try to find an employer willing to give you a job offer and who can obtain an approved LMIA. You can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

leozhang55

Jul 5, 2017
It's too bad you didn't do research before coming to Canada to study to understand the rules.

You can certainly try applying for the PGWP but should expect it to be refused. Once it's refused, you'll need to stop working immediately and leave Canada. If at all possible, you should try to find an employer willing to give you a job offer and who can obtain an approved LMIA. You can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.
thank you for your reply. If I got refused, can I still apply for my study permit? I'm thinking to keep studying here tho.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you for your reply. If I got refused, can I still apply for my study permit? I'm thinking to keep studying here tho.
You would need to apply to restore your status. If the restoration application is approved, you can stay. Otherwise you would have to leave Canada and apply for the new study permit from outside of Canada.

leozhang55

Jul 5, 2017
You would need to apply to restore your status. If the restoration application is approved, you can stay. Otherwise you would have to leave Canada and apply for the new study permit from outside of Canada.
I would just apply at border so I will know the answer immediately. My study permit/coop work permit is going to expire end of this months, if I got rejected I will apply for new study permit immediately, sounds ok?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would just apply at border so I will know the answer immediately. My study permit/coop work permit is going to expire end of this months, if I got rejected I will apply for new study permit immediately, sounds ok?
You can't restore your status at the border. You can only restore your status from within Canada. You also cannot apply for a study permit at the border unless you are a US citizen.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

leozhang55

Jul 5, 2017
You can't restore your status at the border. You can only restore your status from within Canada. You also cannot apply for a study permit at the border unless you are a US citizen.
I am thinking if they rejected me at border, can I still come back to Canada, since I still got time on my study permit, so I can apply for my new study permit in Canada?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I am thinking if they rejected me at border, can I still come back to Canada, since I still got time on my study permit, so I can apply for my new study permit in Canada?

You can try applying your study permit at the border but do take note that CSBA officers can refuse to process your application there and recommend you apply online.