+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need an advice

Lilly1208

Dec 14, 2009
Hi there,

I am a foreign worker now. I graduated from Post Grad program (1 year) in April 2008. I am dating a Canadian guy for about 1,5 years. We met in BC where we used to work but after I found out that my employer at that time were not going to extend my visa I moved to Alberta. We are in love but live separately and have long distance relationships. And it's crazy hard for both of us. I work in Alberta and he works in BC, but he is from Ontario. So he plans to marry me and go back to Ontario as soon as we can.

My questions are:
1) Can I go to Ontario with him while my papers for Immigration are still in process if I hold work permit with an employer in Alberta?
2) What would be the best option for us so we can be together?

Thanks!!!
Lilly

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Depends on the conditions on your work permit.
2. If you are not able to immigrate under another category (provincial, skilled worker, CEC), either live with him for a year to become common-law or get married and then have him sponsor you for PR.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't see him coming to live with you in Alberta listed as an option. Why doesn't he do that??

If you are planning to marry then it would faster for him to sponsor you as his wife than applying through one of the other immigration categories (skilled worker etc.)

Depending on where you're from, it would likely be faster for you to apply outland (i.e. your application is processed by the visa office responsible for your country) than applying inland (where your application is processed in Canada).

I don't know the details or the conditions of your work permit, so you'd have to check to see if you are able to move to Ontario.

Lilly1208

Dec 14, 2009
thanks for the prompt reply!
I am from Russia and for now I hold the work permit that allows me to work for the current employer only, I wish I could change it...And another thing is that I was planning to apply for Immigration under PNP but it doesn't seem working for another year.

Lilly1208

Dec 14, 2009
I am just wondering wether I will be able to go to Ontario with him while my papers for mmigration are in process? or I have to wait till I get the finale result?

thanks alot!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are allowed to stay in Canada until your work permit expires, even if you quit your job but if you apply for PNP immigration based on your employers support, you will have to stay in this job until you have your PR. If you quit your job, your PNP may be cancelled. You can also look into if you qualify for CEC.

If you get married and move to Ontario and your partner applies to sponsor you, you can stay at least until your work permit expires. When it is about to expire, you can apply to change your status to visitor while you wait for your application to get processed.

Lilly1208

Dec 14, 2009
So it means that I can move to Ontario and apply for visitor visa when my work permit is about to expire but it means that would not able to work...

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, exactly.

Lilly1208 said:
So it means that I can move to Ontario and apply for visitor visa when my work permit is about to expire but it means that would not able to work...