+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Advice regarding PhD admission

braveguy

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Dear Seniors,
I just landed in Canada last month. I want to apply for Phd in Computer Science.
I have done my Masters in Computer Networks and Communication. My CGPA in Masters in 2.98 which is equivalent to 73%, and have B grade(71.2%) in Bachelors in Computer Science(4 years). Now I have few questions

1. Which universities should I look to apply for a Phd program in Ontario?
2. What are the funding aspects available as Permanent resident and a Phd student?
3. Would you suggest that I should do Masters in Computer Science again(if CGPA not sufficient)? If yes, then which universities should be targeted for Masters in Computer Science Admission?
4. I have not done IELTS or TOEFL, so should I appear in one of the tests also?

Will appreciate seniors' urgent response.

braveguy

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Dear Seniors,
I just landed in Canada last month. I want to apply for Phd in Computer Science.
I have done my Masters in Computer Networks and Communication. My CGPA in Masters in 2.98 which is equivalent to 73%, and have B grade(71.2%) in Bachelors in Computer Science(4 years). Now I have few questions

1. Which universities should I look to apply for a Phd program in Ontario?
2. What are the funding aspects available as Permanent resident and a Phd student?
3. Would you suggest that I should do Masters in Computer Science again(if CGPA not sufficient)? If yes, then which universities should be targeted for Masters in Computer Science Admission?
4. I have not done IELTS or TOEFL, so should I appear in one of the tests also?

Will appreciate seniors' urgent response.
???

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
You will need to review Toronto universities websites about their PhD admission requirements.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
In that case, you need to contact directly the admission departments of the universities that you found to get clarification. PhD admission is very specialized and differs per university. It is unlikely that you find someone who will be able to provide a review of multiple PhD programs for you. Even paid education consultants are rarely involved in PhD admissions. At the PhD level first there are very few candidates and second one would assume that conducting research about the options can be done easily by the candidate.

Regarding the funding as a permanent resident you should qualify for OSAP if your last two years income is not too high. There must also be some research grants available from universities. But again you will need to contact them directly to find out what is available based on your specific profile.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just wanted add that your grades will likely not get you into a masters program. PhD program really depend on whether you can find a supervisor that is interested in your proposed thesis/area of research. Many of the PhD programs in Ontario are the best in Canada and your marks are not that strong. You should be looking at other provinces as well.

braveguy

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
In that case, you need to contact directly the admission departments of the universities that you found to get clarification. PhD admission is very specialized and differs per university. It is unlikely that you find someone who will be able to provide a review of multiple PhD programs for you. Even paid education consultants are rarely involved in PhD admissions. At the PhD level first there are very few candidates and second one would assume that conducting research about the options can be done easily by the candidate.

Regarding the funding as a permanent resident you should qualify for OSAP if your last two years income is not too high. There must also be some research grants available from universities. But again you will need to contact them directly to find out what is available based on your specific profile.
thanks for your detailed reply, I really appreciate it.
Any other member having experience of above profile and admission??

braveguy

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Just wanted add that your grades will likely not get you into a masters program. PhD program really depend on whether you can find a supervisor that is interested in your proposed thesis/area of research. Many of the PhD programs in Ontario are the best in Canada and your marks are not that strong. You should be looking at other provinces as well.
Well thanks for your kind reply. Yes I will look other options also.