+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice regarding mothers surname at birth

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
When I first came to Canada in 2010 and went to service Canada for the first time to apply for SIN number they asked me my dad full name and mom full name. (At birth) They have to be birth names.service Canada uses this info to verify id whenever someone visits the centre. I accidentally provided my moms married last name. Fast forward to today I’m applying for my first Canadian passport and I noticed the form has a section titled mothers surname at birth.

should I correct the error with service Canada before applying for the passport?

will this cause any issues?

Shushmoy Mahid

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
When I first came to Canada in 2010 and went to service Canada for the first time to apply for SIN number they asked me my dad full name and mom full name. (At birth) They have to be birth names.service Canada uses this info to verify id whenever someone visits the centre. I accidentally provided my moms married last name. Fast forward to today I’m applying for my first Canadian passport and I noticed the form has a section titled mothers surname at birth.

should I correct the error with service Canada before applying for the passport?

will this cause any issues?
Hello..
What did u do?