+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice on TRV refusal

taq12345

Jul 31, 2020
Applied: 28th June 2022
Biometric: 29th June 2022
Rejection: 19th Oct 2022

Hi. I applied for a visitor visa from Pakistan to visit my brother who is a Canadian citizen. I received the following reasons for refusal and want to ask for what to do next.
  1. You have significant family ties in Canada
  2. You do not have significant family ties outside Canada
  3. Your current employment situation does not show that you are financially established in your country of residence

Point 1:
I only have my brother and his wife in Canada. I don't know how they've said I have significant family ties in Canada. How can I improve this point?

Point 2:
I am not married but I live with my mother and 3 siblings in Pakistan. Can this point be improved?

Point 3:
I had shown 20k+ CAD in savings and my bank statement had increased savings every month with good salary according to Pakistani standards. My salary had even increased during the visa process.

Given the above points, what should my next step be?

Thanks in advance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Hi. I applied for a visitor visa from Pakistan to visit my brother who is a Canadian citizen. I received the following reasons for refusal and want to ask for what to do next.
  3. Your current employment situation does not show that you are financially established in your country of residence

Point 1:
I only have my brother and his wife in Canada. I don't know how they've said I have significant family ties in Canada. How can I improve this point?

Point 2:
I am not married but I live with my mother and 3 siblings in Pakistan. Can this point be improved?

Point 3:
I had shown 20k+ CAD in savings and my bank statement had increased savings every month with good salary according to Pakistani standards. My salary had even increased during the visa process.

Thanks in advance.
1 & 2. You are not married so your siblings are not your immediate family, only your mother. Since you are single, you are viewed as mobile with no significant ties.
3. How long was your visit? Did you include a job letter with approved leave? So the 20k is in a bank account (liquid funds) and is yours. Depending on the length of visit and once you include airfare, it may look as if you are spending all your savings on a trip.

taq12345

Jul 31, 2020
1 & 2. You are not married so your siblings are not your immediate family, only your mother. Since you are single, you are viewed as mobile with no significant ties.
3. How long was your visit? Did you include a job letter with approved leave? So the 20k is in a bank account (liquid funds) and is yours. Depending on the length of visit and once you include airfare, it may look as if you are spending all your savings on a trip.
My visit was of 14 days. Yes I included a job letter with approved leave. My only expenses were the ticket as my brother was to take care of lodging and food. I would be spending max 2000 CAD.

For points 1&2 so the only way to get a visa for me is to get married :/ ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My visit was of 14 days. Yes I included a job letter with approved leave. My only expenses were the ticket as my brother was to take care of lodging and food. I would be spending max 2000 CAD.

For points 1&2 so the only way to get a visa for me is to get married :/ ?
No. Order GCMS notes. So $2k includes your airfare/insurance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What are GCMS notes and how do you get them ?
GCMS notes are the officer’s notes. Google Order GCMS notes and there are several companies that do it. If you have in Canada, you can order them from the government - ATIP

Rainbow777

Star Member
Aug 24, 2022

Point 1:

Point 2:

Point 3:

Thanks in advance.
Can you please share when did your review of eligibility start? Which month after your application was submitted?

User4859

Apr 27, 2021
Depending on what the officer's notes say and depending on if you're willing to incur the cost, I would consider consulting with a reputable Canadian lawyer to see if there is chance of success through the judicial review process. I was successful in this path and so, for me, it was worth every penny. If it is something you are considering, however, you should be aware that there is a time limit on when you need to start the judicial review process by following receipt of the rejection letter. Some may say this is a pointless pursuit, however, I can tell you from my own personal experience that it worked for me.

taq12345

Jul 31, 2020
Depending on what the officer's notes say and depending on if you're willing to incur the cost, I would consider consulting with a reputable Canadian lawyer to see if there is chance of success through the judicial review process. I was successful in this path and so, for me, it was worth every penny. If it is something you are considering, however, you should be aware that there is a time limit on when you need to start the judicial review process by following receipt of the rejection letter. Some may say this is a pointless pursuit, however, I can tell you from my own personal experience that it worked for me.
How much would it cost approx?

User4859

Apr 27, 2021
How much would it cost approx?
Well it depends on a number of factors. Some lawyers are more expensive than others. I'd try to find someone outside of Toronto as lawyer's rates in Toronto tend to be higher than rates outside of the city. For example, Matkowsky is good (they're in Toronto), but they're more on the expensive side. I think that Dean Szikinger is good and his fees may be a bit less because he's in Winnipeg rather than Toronto. You're likely looking at $3,000 - $4,000 to start the JR process and attempt to settle. If you can settle before getting to the actual hearing phase then that's what you're in for. If the DOJ doesn't settle and you decide to continue fighting it, then it could get up to the $10,000 range. If you're lucky, the DOJ settles and that's usually it. It's a gamble. It's not cheap and it doesn't always work out, but sometimes it's more effective than just re-applying.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Point 1:

Point 2:

Point 3:

Thanks in advance.
Given the current state of Pakistan and the fact that you don’t have significant ties to Pakistan there would be valid concern that you would try to remain in Canada. Have you been personally affected by the floods? Assume that everyone has been affected somehow but in a serious fashion? Did you save all the 20k? Is it realistic that you could save that much on your current salary? Having a brother and his family in Canada without having a spouse or kids yourself means that you have minimal ties to Pakistan and significant ties to Canada. Even if your brother will be covering your costs you have to show that you can pay for your travels. There have been cases were families argue and refuse to house a family member and stop paying their costs. How did your brother get PR?

taq12345

Jul 31, 2020
Given the current state of Pakistan and the fact that you don’t have significant ties to Pakistan there would be valid concern that you would try to remain in Canada. Have you been personally affected by the floods? Assume that everyone has been affected somehow but in a serious fashion? Did you save all the 20k? Is it realistic that you could save that much on your current salary? Having a brother and his family in Canada without having a spouse or kids yourself means that you have minimal ties to Pakistan and significant ties to Canada. Even if your brother will be covering your costs you have to show that you can pay for your travels. There have been cases were families argue and refuse to house a family member and stop paying their costs. How did your brother get PR?
I have not been affected by the floods.

I save around 750 cad per month and have been working for 3 years so yes it is realistic.

My brother became a Canadian citizen through his wife (she was on Canadian PR when they married).

This is what I showed as ties to Pakistan. Please let me know what I am missing apart from wife/kids:
  1. Job where I save 750 cad per month
  2. Car worth 18k cad (was gifted by my parents)
  3. Savings worth 20k cad
  4. Living with mother, 2 brothers and 1 sister
  5. House ownership which will pass from mother to her children including me (house is worth around 400k cad)
My trip was of 14 days and I think 20k cad is more than enough to cover the costs even if my brother didn't contribute.

Last edited: