+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice licensing my car in Canada

border9999

Star Member
Sep 24, 2007
Dear all,

I already landed in Canada few months ago.i am still going to school in USA. I do not know if it is a good idea to import my car in Canada now or should I wait until I graduate and move to Canada then I will import my car? I do stay in Canada sometimes and sometimes in USA. Let em know the advantages and disadvantages of importing my car now or later? The car insurance in Canada is more expensive than in USA.

your feedback is greatly appreciated

todiefor

Star Member
Jul 9, 2008
buying a NEW car is much expensive in Canada than in US but buying a USED car is not much of a difference.

importing a car from US to Canada is very easy. i already did it and didn't have much trouble as long as you prepare all the paper works. below is what I did.

1. get a NO recall clearance letter from the manufacture of your car
2. get a letter from you US insurance company stating how long you've been insured with them. 6 yrs. or more of insurance is much better (the agent from RBC required it from me). bring also a copy of your latest insurance.
3. get a driving history record from DMV. this is very important so you can easily exchange your driving license from US to Canada. you can't insure your car unless you have a Canada driving license.

when you land, the custom officer will provide you instructions on what things/changes you need to do before you can register your car. just follow it and your good to go.

I did my daytime running light modification at Canadian Tire and safety inspection. They are accredited by DMV Canada.

Hope this helps.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Depends, have you changed your driver's license yet to a Canadian license? Where is your legal residence? In Ontario, new residents legally have 1 month to change the registration and 2 months to change the driver's license (but go figure, the vehicle registration place made me change my license BEFORE they would register my car).

Depends on where you're claiming legal residence at this point... your DL and registration should match - if you get stopped, it could be an expensive ticket.

Otherwise, if you can still legally claim residence in the US, it will be a lot cheaper to keep everything there as long as you can.

border9999

Star Member
Sep 24, 2007
Thank you jes_ON, todiefer and jasbir78,

Let me tell you what I did. I have landed in April, they gave me the import custom Form 1. I have exchanged my licence to Ontario driving licence.
Next, I did no recall from RIV, then I did my emission and safty test at Canadian Tires. They gave me the certificate of the tests. The only thing left is to go to licensing office and get the plates. Todiefor that is a good advice, I will get a letter from my insurance in USA to state how many years I am insured with them. Is RBC insurance is cheaper than the others? why did you choose RBC?

jes_ON, what do you mean when you say my legal residence? what ground can I claim about my residency? I do have a place in Ontario, also in USA? how do I claim where is my legal residency? What I was thinking was since I am still a student in USA, and most of the time I am in USA, I can keep my car registered in USA since the insurace is cheap, and when I go to Ontario to live (since you need 3 years physical present in Canada in order to get your citizenship) then I will do my licensing? Can I do that or it is not legal if they stop me and ask me for my registration, and they will see that I landed but I have not registered my car? So I am thinking if I can legally have a choice not to import my car at this point since I am not going to gain anything but to keep the USA registration.

todiefor

Star Member
Jul 9, 2008
hey border, RBC insurance was the cheapest from 3 companies I inquired with that's why I choose them. Insurance in Canada is very expensive, mine is 4x on what I'm paying in the US.

border9999

Star Member
Sep 24, 2007
Hi Todiefor, i searched many insurance companies in Canada but very expensive, do you know any US companies that covers Canada as well? do ou live in Canada now or you commute to US, in my situation should I get my license plates now or wait until I gratuate and move to Canada?

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
I have actually recently registered my US-registered car in Canada. I was living in Michigan and had to leave and wanted to move my car to Ontario, Canada. I had it registered in my father's name because I don't yet have any status in Canada.

Basically you will have to contact an import agent. They will do all the paperwork for you and ask you to fax over required documentation (VIN number, registration, title, recall letters, value, etc.). The agent's fee was about $250.00

You will need to get your car valued at a dealer. But because I was "selling" the car to my dad, I just put a sale price and printed out a bill of sale. I listed my 2003 Mazda 6 for $6500.00 even though it was valued at about $9500 at that time. You will need to pay a fee to the agent, and a number of taxes, including GST. If your car wasn't made in North America (VIN numbers starting with 1), then there is an additional tax. The GST and other charges amounted to about $800.00, paid to the Agent, so I ended up paying the agent a little over $1000.

If your car is already in Canada, regulations require you to bring it to the US for 72 hours. When you bring your car from Canada to the US, you will have to let your title be stamped by the US Customs to prove that you are bringing it out of Canada for the required amount of time.

When you bring your car into Canada from the US, you will have to tell the customs officer that you are importing the car and he will redirect you to an office where all the import agents are and they will stamp your registration there and give you a few forms required to register your car in Canada.

You will need to have an address in Canada to put on the registration. Since I was passing the car to my father, I didn't have to pay any PST because there was some rule in Ontario about not taxing if you are passing a vehicle to a relative.

If your car doesn't have daytime running lights, it is mandatory to have them installed if importing them to Canada and they will make you do it before they give you the registration. That cost me another $400 at Mazda Canada.

Basically all in all, if your car is old and/or worth less than $5000, sell it off and get a new one in Canada because all the taxes and fees will cost almost as much as the car and it is simply not worth the trouble. If you have a relative in Canada to register it to you can avoid the Provincial Sales Tax and probably undervalue your car to avoid paying as much taxes. There is a ton of paperwork and a ton of running around.

Canadian insurance companies will not insure a car with a US registration and vice versa. I believe that if your car is going to remain in Canada for more than a few months (not sure of the actual time period), you are required to register it there. Even if you keep your US registration and insurance and you get into an accident in Canada

If you get US driving record from the state you live in you can greatly reduce your insurance rates. When I first got my Ontario drivers' license, they quoted me $400 a month based on having no driving history. But when I showed them my driving record and "no claim" record from my insurance company from the US printed out by the State of Michigan, it was reduced to $120, and it is about $100 now because I've been with them for a while. I also put my name on the insurance of my brother's car (he's newly licensed with no driving experience and he had an accident that was his fault) and it brought his insurance down from $600 a month to about $300 a month.

border9999

Star Member
Sep 24, 2007
hello mediajunkie, thank you for your detail explanation of importing the car to Canada. Actually, i have done most of the process of importing the car. I went to Canadian Tires and did the safety and emission test, both of them past. This means that my car have daytime running lights? or it doesnt? I also did provicial test RIV. Now I not sure what to do, because the car worths less than $5000, and currently I am paying around $200 insurance per 6 months, which is very good. But I looked into some insurance companies in Ontario is almost $2000 per 6 months, which is too high, i do not know should I keep the car here in USA or just sell it in Canada since the cars are expensice there?

C

cchabert

"Basically all in all, if your car is old and/or worth less than $5000, sell it off and get a new one in Canada because all the taxes and fees will cost almost as much as the car and it is simply not worth the trouble."

Does this apply also if you get your PR and bring the car as "things to follow"? Do you still need to pay taxes? I have a 2003 Saturn Ion that according to the Blue Book is around $2800

Thank you!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Border 9999,

Sorry, was away for a few days. Looks like you got some good info from other members. If you are a student who is not a dependent on a parents' tax return, and is studying legally in the US, you could legally claim residence in the US state where you live, but you would need a driver's license there, too. Depends on how long before you make the move, I guess... I would say that if you already have an Ontario driver's license, unless you want to change it back to a state license, better make your car legal and get it registered in Ontario. They legally need to be the same... Don't know what the penalties are if you get caught for failing to properly register your vehicle, but I wouldn't want to find out...

Just a quick note - I got lucky when I crossed the border last year w/my car because I was not aware of the import requirements (had a lawyer that told me everything except that). Turns out if the car is at least 15 years old, it's exempt from the import requirements. It's a '94 model, and I had a kind customs agent who told me to go out and look on the car for the year of manufacture - it was 1993, which meant that I met the 15 year exemption. WHEW!

As for insurance - no, no US agency will insure a Canadian resident or vice-versa. The rate depends a lot on your driving record, I got a letter from my former insurance agency in the US - "no claim" record (think for the past 7 years?) and the driving record from my former state (no violations), so I got a rate of $750/year - still double what I'm used to paying, but it IS a lot better than $4000/year. But it also depends on where you live, I understand Toronto is a LOT higher than where I live...

border9999

Star Member
Sep 24, 2007
ccbert, when you say taxes you mean the car insurance that I have to pay? I know that is too much insurance, it is not worth it at all, I could buy a new car altogether. But I notice the cars in Canada is more expansive than in USA. What do you mean when you say things to follow? when I landed they gave me a form to fill out the items I am going to import without any taxes, so one of the item i included was my car. What you mean by taxes? you do not need any taxes if you want to import your car, did I answer your question?

border9999

Star Member
Sep 24, 2007
Hi jes_ON, Its Ok, i felt that you were not here for few days. I am getting some information from the internet. I kind of thing that it is not worth to import my car to Canada because I am not going to gain anything from it? correct? Because currently I do stay most of my days in USA, and those days do not count for my citizenship in Canada. If they did count it would have been worth importing my car to Canada. Basically, now I can claim that I am resident in US (because I am legal here) as well as in Canada(i am landed immigrant).

That is good that you passed your car. I would be happy if my insurance goes up to $750/year, and $2000/year is too high, I am going to call few more companies and will provide a letter from my insurance here in US (i have been driving in US for 3 years now) so that might help hopefully, I do not know yet what to do if the insurance is too high