+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice for what information to include in a letter

zzaa2323

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going through sponsoring my husband for PR (inland) and I think we will have no issues getting accepted - except for one thing. I'm currently unemployed and don't have the best work history. We've been living together with no money issues for 1.5 years so clearly we are able to support ourselves, and the only reason I'm currently unemployed is because we recently moved and I haven't found a new job yet. My husband is currently working on a working holiday visa and he makes more than enough to support us both while I'm unemployed.

I saw some people say that they got their parents to write a letter saying that if we need financial support, they are willing to help provide it, and I thought that might be a good addition to our application *just in case* as another layer to prove we will be okay financially.

Is it a good idea to include?

Also, what information should I make sure this letter has? Or any samples would be appreciated!

Thanks!

smallcoffee

Apr 4, 2018
Paris
There is no income requirement for spouse sponsorship. IRCC doesn't care how much you're making (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
There is no income requirement for spouse sponsorship. IRCC doesn't care how much you're making (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
There is a rule for not receiving welfare. If the OP is receiving Welfare they cannot sponsor, otherwise it is ok.

zzaa2323

Jul 29, 2019
Ah alright, so should I not bother with the letter for financial support from parents at all? I'm not nor have ever been on welfare.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Remember they can't claim welfare for at least 3 years either. This is from the website so may or may not apply:
Note: In most cases, there is no low-income-cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships. However, if either a spouse or partner you’re sponsoring has as dependent child who has dependent children of their own, or a dependent child you are sponsoring has a dependent child of their own, you must meet a minimum LICO score, which is determined by the Canadian government each year.

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Ah alright, so should I not bother with the letter for financial support from parents at all? I'm not nor have ever been on welfare.
I am in a similar situation and I am submitting a letter from family AND a letter explaining my situation and how I intend to support ourselves with supporting documents.

DEFINITELY submit a letter written by you explaining your situation. In this letter make sure to explain how you support yourselves currently and how you intend to support yourselves while the application is processing and for the 3 years of being a sponsor if need be. Even though there is no income requirement, they still want to see that you are able to support yourself. This letter is also about giving them enough evidence that they believe YOU specifically as the sponsor are able to support the applicant and yourself should you need to. So a detailed explanation of how YOU would do that if you needed to and this does not include your husbands work/finances. Basically, they want to know that if your husband (applicant) had no funds/lost job/visa expired, how would YOU as the sponsor support him and yourself without asking for government financial help.

I am in a similar situation, unemployed, and here's what I put in my letter followed by some supporting documents:

- Detailed explanation of why i'm not employed i.e. just moved back to Canada, husband was sole money earner, pregnant
- Explained how I intend to provide support if need be which included: business plan, job search results, resume, bank statement of savings, and letter from family saying they are willing to support if needed.
- Listed the support given to the applicant by means of accommodation/personal items/food/utilities (they not only look at finances they want to know that the applicant has a basic standard of living such as food, shelter, etc)
- Stated that I bought him 6 months Health Insurance to cover him during the application
- Stated that I am not receiving any social benefit nor have I gone through bankruptsy or have any outstanding immigration loans. (Because I was unemployed I did not have an Notice of Assessment to submit which is the document they look for to prove you are not receiving any social benefit I also explained why this was not included)

Then.....
- I included a brief 1 page business plan of a business I am wanting to set up
- I included print outs of job searches for relevant jobs I could apply for
- Included a 1 page resume where it shows my education/work experience to prove I am employable
- Bank statements showing money in savings that can be used
- A letter from my Mom/Dad stating they are willing and able to provide support

In my letter from family it stated:
- Their full names, date of birth, citizenship, and address
- They declare that they are willing and able to support us financially and through accommodation/food/utilities if needed.
- Detailed what they do for a living, annual income, housing situation (if you are staying with them).
- Contact information
- Included 1 bank statement

Because there is no income requirement yet they want to see proof of being able to support the applicant, it's a very subjective and tricky part of our application! There's no right/wrong thing to do or guide on what to include. But I believe that explanation letters and letters of support are ALWAYS a good idea. It doesn't take very long to draft a letter, so why not include it. Furthermore, you may not want to submit all the supporting evidence like I did, but most of what I've decided to submit came from examples and ideas taken from other members of this forum in similar situations. I researched this forum extensively on this subject and in the end found these documents i.e. job search results, resume, letter from family to be most often submitted in our cases.

Best of luck :)

smallcoffee

Apr 4, 2018
Paris
I really doubt this is necessary. If it was, they would ask for it.

IRCC staff receive hundreds of kilos of documents every day, better to send only what is listed as mandatory to shorten the processing time for everyone.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I think that is a bit of overkill. As above, if they wanted it they would ask, but every application is different. In mine the both of us have good jobs, good savings, common-law for tax, insurance (dental, medical, life). So ours should be less complicated. We are not really picture people. We have maybe 5 or 6 with each others family, but I think with everything else it will be no issue at all. Yours is a bit different.

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
I really doubt this is necessary. If it was, they would ask for it.

IRCC staff receive hundreds of kilos of documents every day, better to send only what is listed as mandatory to shorten the processing time for everyone.
If you are unemployed and can not submit an NOA/T4s or letter of employment, etc. they DO say to provide evidence of how you intend to support yourselves. On the checklist form IMM5533 it says "If you are not working in Canada, provide other documentation showing that you can support the person(s) you are sponsoring. This must include a detailed explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person(s) on a separate piece of paper"

So in my mind, this was the best evidence to provide. Yes, it is being overly cautious but from my many days of scrolling through related threads on this subject matter in this forum, I found most people submit similar evidence.

Like I said, no hard rules on it, but it's only a few extra pages so why not.

Last edited: