+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need advice for citizenship with some issues

raja041

Apr 16, 2017
hi,
i have some concern about my application for citizenship,i send my application this month, but in the last year i have some issues with the police ,i want to know if it will affect my application?

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
hi,
i have some concern about my application for citizenship,i send my application this month, but in the last year i have some issues with the police ,i want to know if it will affect my application?
Check https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/situtations-prevent-citizenship.html to find out which situations may prevent you from becoming a Canadian citizen.

You may want to consult a lawyer, as well, to decide what you should do next. You may need to withdraw your application, and may need to do so soon, depending on the particulars of your case.

Question 16 of your application asked you to declare that you are not prohibited, i.e. that some situations did not apply to you. If you falsely claimed that none of those situations applied to you, that can count as misrepresentation, which may cause you to become ineligible for citizenship for 5 years.

If anyone else is in a similar situation: read the list of prohibitions carefully. If you have any doubts, consult a lawyer (hire a lawyer) who is familiar with citizenship law (and, depending on the case, criminal law) to clarify matters before you submit your application.

raja041

Apr 16, 2017
no there is no convictions, and none of this situation apply to me,i will try to talk with a lawyer..
thanks for the reply

raja041

Apr 16, 2017
well i had some problem with my husband,and i took my son and i go to shelter,and he call the police on me and he told them that i kidnap my son and that i have suicide ideas,so the police come and talk with me in the shelter and i say to them that i will go back to my husband and we try to solve our problem,then after that time go ,and i call the police on him ,because he cut TV and internet on me,,(he is so controlling)that's it ,the police couldn't do nothing ,they go,so i was thinking maybe it will cause me some trouble this situation,because the police have my name in their files...

jebok79

Feb 9, 2013
well i had some problem with my husband,and i took my son and i go to shelter,and he call the police on me and he told them that i kidnap my son and that i have suicide ideas,so the police come and talk with me in the shelter and i say to them that i will go back to my husband and we try to solve our problem,then after that time go ,and i call the police on him ,because he cut TV and internet on me,,(he is so controlling)that's it ,the police couldn't do nothing ,they go,so i was thinking maybe it will cause me some trouble this situation,because the police have my name in their files...
do you believe its a criminal record?

Reactions: raja041

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
If you don't have pending charges or have been convicted, I don't believe you have any issues in terms of the police where your citizenship application is concerned.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
i don't have pending charges ,not convicted ,
good to hear that ,thank you
Just being in contact with the police is not an issue, at all. The type of interactions you've described won't even be visible to IRCC, so there's nothing to worry about on that front.

raja041

Apr 16, 2017
Just being in contact with the police is not an issue, at all. The type of interactions you've described won't even be visible to IRCC, so there's nothing to worry about on that front.
thank you brother ,i was worry about this matter,so in the interview if they ask me ,if i had issues with police ,what i should say ,yes or no?

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
thank you brother ,i was worry about this matter,so in the interview if they ask me ,if i had issues with police ,what i should say ,yes or no?
At your interview they will ask you to sign a form confirming you've not been prohibited. That form basically is the same question that was asked in question 16 of your application. They may ask you to verbally confirm that none of the conditions apply to you.

They are unlikely to ask if you've had issues with the police. If they ask something it's more likely to be more specific (like if you have been arrested or if you have been charged). Based on what you've described, none of that applies, you can just respond with a "no".

If (and this seems extremely unlikely) they were to ask something generic, like if you've been in contact with the police, you can just mention that a while ago the police had been called in a dispute with your spouse, but that no arrests were made and no charges were filed.

raja041

Apr 16, 2017
At your interview they will ask you to sign a form confirming you've not been prohibited. That form basically is the same question that was asked in question 16 of your application. They may ask you to verbally confirm that none of the conditions apply to you.

They are unlikely to ask if you've had issues with the police. If they ask something it's more likely to be more specific (like if you have been arrested or if you have been charged). Based on what you've described, none of that applies, you can just respond with a "no".

If (and this seems extremely unlikely) they were to ask something generic, like if you've been in contact with the police, you can just mention that a while ago the police had been called in a dispute with your spouse, but that no arrests were made and no charges were filed.
good,thank you so much