+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need advice -- cannot apply for BC medical

AdrianVilnius

Jul 31, 2020
Hi,

In June we submitted a PR application for my wife via the outland method and we arrived earlier this month. We landed in BC and submitted an MSP application, but they want to see the online status pages or the AOR letter to approve her for medical coverage. They rejected the application as incomplete. We can't seem to get either of those things due to the COVID delays. I've tried to check status using the receipt number R + nine digits, but it does not work, presumably because they haven't even looked at our application yet. I tried calling immigration but can't figure out how to get to a human. Has anyone else been through this and have any advice? I suppose we can wait, but would like to know more quickly if we can successfully get her medical coverage.

Thanks,
Adrian

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
Did you try submit the MSP application or just talk to someone about it?

Did you send the IRCC receipt you were given when you paid all the PR fees? That's all my wife had to submit and it seemed to be enough. No AOR was required.

AdrianVilnius

Jul 31, 2020
We submitted the MSP application and I gave them the receipt, along with a letter explaining why we don't have the AOR/status page. Also we gave them some details about our relationship and said we would be happy to provide more. I called them today and they told me it's been rejected.

So you got MSP in the similar circumstances?

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
Strange. Myself and a few others on this forum recently received MSP simply by providing the receipt (along with passport & marriage certificate). Did you pay all the fees for your PR application, including the Right of Permanent Resident Fee?

The only difference I can think of is that we applied inland. Perhaps the policy is different for outland applications...

Skywalker09

Star Member
Sep 22, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
07/09/2014
Med's Request
07/20/2015
Med's Done....
08/07/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/23/2015
VISA ISSUED...
09/11/2015
LANDED..........
05/07/2016
We submitted the MSP application and I gave them the receipt, along with a letter explaining why we don't have the AOR/status page. Also we gave them some details about our relationship and said we would be happy to provide more. I called them today and they told me it's been rejected.

So you got MSP in the similar circumstances?
I followed the advise of Chutsk10 and got approved. I called MSP three times, they advised to submit the following:

a. Member update form
b. Marriage Certificate
c. Official Receipt of payment for spousal sponsorship
d. Flight itinerary include the boarding pass if you have it.

After above docs have been submitted through mail, they replied within the 21 day expected period to reply and got their approval. They further advised that the MSP card will be sent through mail. I would highly suggest to call MSP and re file the application depending on their advise.

KingKcaj

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
Yes I also got my wife's MSP the same way.
Inland app in July
Sent in the paper form with copy of her passport and flight itinery/bording pass and the payment receipt page from the sponsor app, I don't remeber if I included marriage cert.
We got reply in about 3 weeks and her MSP will be active on Oct1.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have a suspicion it may be due to outland processing but you should try again. Getting MSP for a spouse that has only applied to be sponsored is a relatively new change.

AdrianVilnius

Jul 31, 2020
Thank you everyone for your responses. It's amazing to be able to hear other people's experiences.

The guy I talked to on the phone at MSP yesterday (level 3) said "yes" when I asked if it was rejected, but today the first person I talked to said that it was still in progress and she transferred me to a level 3 operator and this person told me they need more information. A letter was sent on September 24. I Don't have that still so I don't know exactly what's in it.

She said that you need either a letter from IRCC or the first 2 status pages when you login on the IRCC website. I don't have any communication like everyone else and I can't check the status online since it's a paper application and sitting in a pile in Sydney. I even called IRCC support today and she said you just have to wait for it to get processed before you get a letter or can check status online. Be patient was the answer.

When I explained to the level 3 operator today that I can't get the things she is saying we need, and that nobody can she said I should contact the operations director in writing. Also I was transferred to an information line about how to submit an appeal. That happened yesterday too. I guess I wait for the letter. Keep calling. Submit letters.

Wow I have to say this whole process is stressful. Full of unknowns. Can really make you feel like you've done something wrong by marrying a non-Canadian.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you everyone for your responses. It's amazing to be able to hear other people's experiences.

The guy I talked to on the phone at MSP yesterday (level 3) said "yes" when I asked if it was rejected, but today the first person I talked to said that it was still in progress and she transferred me to a level 3 operator and this person told me they need more information. A letter was sent on September 24. I Don't have that still so I don't know exactly what's in it.

She said that you need either a letter from IRCC or the first 2 status pages when you login on the IRCC website. I don't have any communication like everyone else and I can't check the status online since it's a paper application and sitting in a pile in Sydney. I even called IRCC support today and she said you just have to wait for it to get processed before you get a letter or can check status online. Be patient was the answer.

When I explained to the level 3 operator today that I can't get the things she is saying we need, and that nobody can she said I should contact the operations director in writing. Also I was transferred to an information line about how to submit an appeal. That happened yesterday too. I guess I wait for the letter. Keep calling. Submit letters.

Wow I have to say this whole process is stressful. Full of unknowns. Can really make you feel like you've done something wrong by marrying a non-Canadian.
Would be thankful that at least BC has changed their policy and your spouse will get coverage before they are a PR Others provinces will require spouses to wait until they have PR or get a WP with longterm employment and that was the case in BC until very recently.

AdrianVilnius

Jul 31, 2020
@canuck78 I didn't know that. When I was researching this and in the spring when we were trying to figure out what to do that never came up that it was a new policy. Can I ask how you find this information out? I would like to know more.

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
@Chutsk10 Yup we paid full fees. $1200 approx. Can I ask how long ago this was? Maybe MSP was informed that IRCC is active again and changed the policy.
Ours was processed two months ago, I know some others on this forum had theirs processed less than that. From what I can tell it is a new policy, there are old posts on this forum from 2-3 years ago talking about not being able to get MSP until the OWP or PR is approved. I am not sure when the policy was put in place though.

Hopefully you are just getting the wrong information from the call centers. The letter should help sort you out when you get it.

AdrianVilnius

Jul 31, 2020
Got the letter. They want
  1. Completed Account Change Form to add (WIFE's NAME) to your account
  2. pages 1 and 2 from the IRCC e-Client Application Status web site (www.cic.gc.ca) showing the receipt and processing date of the application for permanent resident status. (On that website click on Check Application Status.)
So number (1) I already did, albiet some time after the initial application I made for her (I didn't know at the time I had to link it).

But number (2) is what confuses me. I can't yet check the status because I applied outland and our paper application is sitting in a pile awaiting scanning somewhere. I tried to use the site given to check the status using the receipt number and it didn't work. IRCC confirmed on the phone for me that won't work because it's not been scanned yet. I also tried linking the application to a GCKEY.

So I guess everyone who does this is using the inland method and has what they want. Maybe they are just unaware of the separate types of applications. We did ours outland because we were ready to apply and wanted to get going. We thought it would make things easier to get it in. Now it seems to be working against us, assuming I understand this situation correctly.

KingKcaj

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
I can be completely wrong here, but I thought outland application are for people that are stationed not in Canada and wants to come to Canada when their PR is approved. So in that case they will see you as a non-residence of BC? So to the gov, you are just a visitor with no status currently? Also, don't outland need to do interview at the country they did their app at? Just curious.

AdrianVilnius

Jul 31, 2020
My understanding is that you can decide if you do outland or inland. The border agent confirmed that we can apply to extend her vistor visa regardless if it's outland or inland. IRCC also confirmed this. We were outland when we decided we would move to Canada so it seemed to make sense to apply that way as it gets the application going sooner.

I think this is mostly a problem for us because outlands are still paper based and not entered into the system and COVID has slowed that. In the absense of COVID we would have our AOR1 and would just provide them that letter.