Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
@gabrielvillani

I never read all the thread and just jumped to commenting. So if your question have been answered, great. If not, I hope these helps.

CIC wanted to ascertain that your marriage was genuine at the time and they want proof to make sure it is true.

You need to answer all their questions and provide them photocopy of your marriage license if your married. Bills receipt, apartment rent meaning your cohabiting. Joint bank account if you have any. Pictures of both of you and with your child. Flight to an pro. Divorce proceedings. If you made an intimate video, show it to them. Add more that you think will exonerate you from their doubt and prove your together and that the marriage is genuine.

Send those in their alloted days. Otherwise, you risk admission of guilt.

If you can afford an immigration lawyer, the better.

Short story, immigration wanted to know your not in a sham marriage.

Reactions: gabrielvillani

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Should I start with good or bad news?

Good news: I received an email from Cic that I have citizenship test on March 5, 2018.

Bad news: out of nowhere I received an email from IRCC Calgary saying:

On 25 oct 2012, You were granted permanent residence status in Canada, based on an Application and Undertaking submitted by your sponsor, XXX. We have reason to believe that you may have misrepresented your relationship with that sponsor in order to gain status as a permanent resident of Canada.

It is alleged that you may be inadmissible to Canada under section 40 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, specifically:

40. (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation

(a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act;

Regulation 4 of the Act states:

4. (1) For the purposes of these Regulations, a foreign national shall not be considered a spouse, a common-law partner or a conjugal partner of a person if the marriage, common-law partnership or conjugal partnership

(a) was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the Act; or

b) is not genuine.

You are requested to provide the following;

· Please provide a detailed account of what happened with your marriage to your sponsor including:

o How and when you met and when you decided to marry

o The circumstances that led to the breakdown of this marriage, to explain why and when your relationship ended, if applicable

o Any efforts that were made to save your marriage

· Provide evidence to support that you were in a genuine relationship before and after the date you became a permanent resident of Canada.

Please send the requested information/documents to this office within forty-five (45) days of the date of this letter. If you do not, a decision will be made based on the information available on your file. Should you not comply with the above request, a determination that you have not complied, could be made. Furthermore, this may result in the preparation of a section 44 report for non-compliance and may be referred to the Immigration Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board for an admissibility hearing and subsequent issuance of a removal order, if applicable.

A decision to allow you to remain in Canada or to seek to have a removal order issued against you will be made in the near future. The next step in this process is to conduct a review of the circumstances of your case. If an opinion is made that your case should be referred for review by the Immigration and Refugee Board, a report will be written and, along with the details of your case, will be forwarded for review.

You may make a written submission providing reasons why a removal order should not be sought. Etc.....

Long story short, Edmonton is making me citizen, Calgary on the other hand, trying to strip off my PR. We got seperated on feb 2014 and divorced finalized july 2015. She wanted a divorce. I have a son born july 2012. So don’t know what to do... and why am I facing this after more than 5 years?? So what is going to happen when I write and pass my test? Is this going to be an issue?

So I APPRECIATE ALL KINDS OF HELP AS TIME IS THE ESSENCE...

Thanks in advance
Are you guys on good terms?

Best believe they investigated because sometimes divorce raise red flags if hey had to contact her mayb she said some things. You need a lawyer asap get the right advice from a professional. Videos on a usb or disk pictures photos from the wedding and dating oics your child hospital receipts every single thing that helps ypur case send

Last edited:

Officer Green

Nov 10, 2017
She is a citizen. But she agreed to Write a letter would that help?
If she agreed to write a letter for you, then I doubt that she called CIC. Once she sponsored you she was in the system as she was not eligible to sponsor someone else for 5 years. Once she became eligible, she is sponsoring another. Definitely her act raises attention of CIC and they might have thought it in that way. How a person who says was a victim of marriage fraud (if she claims that), again sponsors someone in the same way? May be, in your case you got separated and you both live in 3 hour different time zone, as well as her new sponsorship make CIC to suspect your marriage. Fake marriages for PR are very common (as I read somewhere, roughly 15,000 a year or so?) and CIC is behind it seriously. You have already approached a lawyer. As you have genuinely lived together, have a child and she supportive to admit the relationship, I believe you will not have problem. Just try to gather as much evidences as you can.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018
If she agreed to write a letter for you, then I doubt that she called CIC. Once she sponsored you she was in the system as she was not eligible to sponsor someone else for 5 years. Once she became eligible, she is sponsoring another. Definitely her act raises attention of CIC and they might have thought it in that way. How a person who says was a victim of marriage fraud (if she claims that), again sponsors someone in the same way? May be, in your case you got separated and you both live in 3 hour different time zone, as well as her new sponsorship make CIC to suspect your marriage. Fake marriages for PR are very common (as I read somewhere, roughly 15,000 a year or so?) and CIC is behind it seriously. You have already approached a lawyer. As you have genuinely lived together, have a child and she supportive to admit the relationship, I believe you will not have problem. Just try to gather as much evidences as you can.
Thank you!

FrankieJJJ

Mar 16, 2018
This makes no sense..
You got Married, got pr split up 2 years later and after 5 years they are asking you this info?

How long were you together before you applied?

What is your original country?

Did one of your friends/enemies lie and say something malicious?

Did you send in plenty of proof you guys were legit when applying for pr ?

Is she now sponsoring a new fiance/husband? If so what country, common law or marriage?

Any criminal convictions on your record or hers?

Something doesn't add up here. Please keep us updated

Lawrence137

Oct 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
PNP

Good news: I received an email from Cic that I have citizenship test on March 5, 2018.

On 25 oct 2012, You were granted permanent residence status in Canada, based on an Application and Undertaking submitted by your sponsor, XXX. We have reason to believe that you may have misrepresented your relationship with that sponsor in order to gain status as a permanent resident of Canada.

It is alleged that you may be inadmissible to Canada under section 40 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, specifically:

40. (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation

(a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act;

4. (1) For the purposes of these Regulations, a foreign national shall not be considered a spouse, a common-law partner or a conjugal partner of a person if the marriage, common-law partnership or conjugal partnership

(a) was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the Act; or

b) is not genuine.

· Please provide a detailed account of what happened with your marriage to your sponsor including:

o The circumstances that led to the breakdown of this marriage, to explain why and when your relationship ended, if applicable

· Provide evidence to support that you were in a genuine relationship before and after the date you became a permanent resident of Canada.

Please send the requested information/documents to this office within forty-five (45) days of the date of this letter. If you do not, a decision will be made based on the information available on your file. Should you not comply with the above request, a determination that you have not complied, could be made. Furthermore, this may result in the preparation of a section 44 report for non-compliance and may be referred to the Immigration Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board for an admissibility hearing and subsequent issuance of a removal order, if applicable.

A decision to allow you to remain in Canada or to seek to have a removal order issued against you will be made in the near future. The next step in this process is to conduct a review of the circumstances of your case. If an opinion is made that your case should be referred for review by the Immigration and Refugee Board, a report will be written and, along with the details of your case, will be forwarded for review.

You may make a written submission providing reasons why a removal order should not be sought. Etc.....

Long story short, Edmonton is making me citizen, Calgary on the other hand, trying to strip off my PR. We got seperated on feb 2014 and divorced finalized july 2015. She wanted a divorce. I have a son born july 2012. So don’t know what to do... and why am I facing this after more than 5 years?? So what is going to happen when I write and pass my test? Is this going to be an issue?

Thanks in advance
Hey buddy,I think the answer is here: “ based on an Application and Undertaking submitted by your sponsor, XXX. We have reason to believe that ....”

I believe it is because your ex’s new application.

You ex applied a new sponsorship application, the Story she told in the new application might be different from what she told in the old application. For example, the timeline did not match.

the gap between two applications is long enough for her to forget something important. I will recommend you to ask your ex to check what is included in her love story in the new application, expecially the content that you have involved. (She need to tell how she broke up with you and how she met the new boyfriend) Then you will find out what part doesn’t match or does not make sense.

Good luck with you, man!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Hey buddy,I think the answer is here: “ based on an Application and Undertaking submitted by your sponsor, XXX. We have reason to believe that ....”

I believe it is because your ex’s new application.

You ex applied a new sponsorship application, the Story she told in the new application might be different from what she told in the old application. For example, the timeline did not match.

the gap between two applications is long enough for her to forget something important. I will recommend you to ask your ex to check what is included in her love story in the new application, expecially the content that you have involved. (She need to tell how she broke up with you and how she met the new boyfriend) Then you will find out what part doesn’t match or does not make sense.

Good luck with you, man!
Yeah that sounds like it to me too. Basically the ex had to wait 5 years to sponsor again and did so shortly after she was eligible to do so. Her sponsorship application had to mentioned the divorce, etc and hence put the spotlight on you. Who knows what exactly she wrote about your relationship in her application. Her intent may not have been to hurt your case (did she even know you were applying for citizenship?), but obviously her priority was to make her application look good. As Lawerence127 mention, she might have contradicted things written in her sponsorship application for you (probably not intentionally, but just forgot) and it made them question the first sponsorship.

Last edited:
Reactions: faithfulcanadian
Mar 18, 2018
LANDED..........

b) is not genuine.

Thanks in advance
What baffles me most is the fact that this communication came out of IRCC Calgary. Why not their HQ, Sydney or Ottawa. Very strange.

I may be wrong and stand corrected.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
What baffles me most is the fact that this communication came out of IRCC Calgary. Why not their HQ, Sydney or Ottawa. Very strange.

I may be wrong and stand corrected.
OP's citizenship application is probably In Process, and hence was transferred to the local office in Calgary before they started investigating the ex's previous marriage during the ex's sponsorship application.