+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Necessary Documents for Open Work Permit.

qlwkej1

Sep 23, 2013
Hello. I'm an international student in Canada, and I am going to apply for open work permit (spousal work permit).
I have searched several websites to prepare all documents for the permit, but I'm still confused.
So, what kinds of documents must I have in order to apply for the permit?
I think this is kind of silly question, but all people who are interested in the permit will get benefit if someone replies this topic, because preparing documents are the most important works in order to proceed visa application successfully. Thank you ! :)

vizag_canada

Star Member
Nov 28, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-dec-2010
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
-
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
-
Med's Done....
13 dec 2010
Interview........
--waived--
Passport Req..
--waived--
VISA ISSUED...
14/jan/2011
LANDED..........
21/jan/2011
Hello

chk this link and download the forms on the worker visa
http://www.vfs-canada.co.in/visaapplication.html

Here are the list of things which i think are good for OWP-S

your docs (applicant)
-work permit Application IMM1295E
-TRV made outside canada IMM5257B
-chk list
-family info IMM5645E
-original passport
-educational certificates
-employment letter(if she is working in india)
- Her previous job 3 month paystubs (if applicable)
-Marriage Certificate
-financial assessment ( to prove home ties)
-bank statements
-your wedding photographs

sponsor's documents ( in your case ...your wife)
-work permit copy
-employment letter with noc code and salary
-passport copy
-visa copy
- 3 month bank statements
-3 pay stubs
-last years tax assessment
-cover letter( stating that she will cover her for airtickets, housing and food in canada)

I am not sure if these are enough......but good to start with.

qlwkej1

Sep 23, 2013
vizag_canada said:
Hello

chk this link and download the forms on the worker visa

Here are the list of things which i think are good for OWP-S

your docs (applicant)
-work permit Application IMM1295E
-TRV made outside canada IMM5257B
-chk list
-family info IMM5645E
-original passport
-educational certificates
-employment letter(if she is working in india)
- Her previous job 3 month paystubs (if applicable)
-Marriage Certificate
-financial assessment ( to prove home ties)
-bank statements
-your wedding photographs

sponsor's documents ( in your case ...your wife)
-work permit copy
-employment letter with noc code and salary
-passport copy
-visa copy
- 3 month bank statements
-3 pay stubs
-last years tax assessment
-cover letter( stating that she will cover her for airtickets, housing and food in canada)

I am not sure if these are enough......but good to start with.
Hello.
Thank you for your reply.
I want to ask a little bit more question about this. I would like to know your opinion.

1. In the near future, I am not going to work in Canada because I want to focus on studying, but in order to apply for the permit for my partner,
should I apply for work permit application too? (I noticed this in "your docs (applicant), first line."
2. We are going to Canada from TRV visa-exempt country (we are currently living in our native country). In this case, we do not need to prepare "TRV made outside Canada, IMM5257B," right?
3. I thought that my partner should begin to work after getting the permit. According to your reply, however, I notice that my partner need to get a job and employment letter from his employer. I'm not sure which ways are right.

I really want to say that I appreciate your valuable reply !! :)
Thank you~!

vizag_canada

Star Member
Nov 28, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-dec-2010
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
-
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
-
Med's Done....
13 dec 2010
Interview........
--waived--
Passport Req..
--waived--
VISA ISSUED...
14/jan/2011
LANDED..........
21/jan/2011
If you are from a visa exempt country ..I think

you can just enter canada very easily.

I would apply for a work permit after you enter canada. It is much faster and easier.

If you have a work permit in canada. Your wife is eligible to get a open work permit and she dont need LMO or job offer.

Hope it helps

qlwkej1

Sep 23, 2013
vizag_canada said:
If you are from a visa exempt country ..I think

you can just enter canada very easily.

I would apply for a work permit after you enter canada. It is much faster and easier.

If you have a work permit in canada. Your wife is eligible to get a open work permit and she dont need LMO or job offer.

Hope it helps
Thank you very much. Have a good weekend :)

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
qlwkej1 said:
Hello.
Thank you for your reply.
I want to ask a little bit more question about this. I would like to know your opinion.

1. In the near future, I am not going to work in Canada because I want to focus on studying, but in order to apply for the permit for my partner,
should I apply for work permit application too? (I noticed this in "your docs (applicant), first line."
2. We are going to Canada from TRV visa-exempt country (we are currently living in our native country). In this case, we do not need to prepare "TRV made outside Canada, IMM5257B," right?
3. I thought that my partner should begin to work after getting the permit. According to your reply, however, I notice that my partner need to get a job and employment letter from his employer. I'm not sure which ways are right.

I really want to say that I appreciate your valuable reply !! :)
Thank you~!
If you are from a visa exempt country (and not apply for a live in caregiver for your spouse), you can apply for open work permit at the port of entry i.e. airport / border where you land in Canada.

The LMO and job offer are required for the case where the principal applicant received a job offer (skilled worker) and LMO and is applying for a spousal open work permit on behalf of that.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
To be clear, your job should not require you to undergo a medical evaluation. But if your job does, such a work permit cannot be issued at the port of entry. Because they cannot perform medicals there.

qlwkej1

Sep 23, 2013
fkl said:
If you are from a visa exempt country (and not apply for a live in caregiver for your spouse), you can apply for open work permit at the port of entry i.e. airport / border where you land in Canada.

The LMO and job offer are required for the case where the principal applicant received a job offer (skilled worker) and LMO and is applying for a spousal open work permit on behalf of that.
But, because I am going to enter Canada as a student, not a foreign worker, we don't need to get a job offer and LMO in order to apply for a spousal open work permit, right? Thank you for your advices :)

By the way, I want to ask another question if anyone knows about this.
I checked CIC and I saw this part:

o You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if you:

are currently in Canada and have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit,

have graduated from a program at a
Canadian university,
community college,
CÉGEP,
publicly funded trade/technical school or
other eligible school,

have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or
are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada (you will have to pass certain stages in the main application process to be eligible for a work permit).

The questions are that
1. if my spouse graduated from national university in foreign country, is my spouse still eligible applying in Canada? My concern is that there isn't any word like "international," "Domestic," or "Canadian."

2. My spouse and I are citizens of visa-exempt country. According to sentences I cited, it seems that my spouse still needs to apply for temporary resident permit to apply for the spousal permit in Canada. Does my spouse have to apply for that? or it does not need because my partner can enter Canada without visitor visa?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
qlwkej1 said:
But, because I am going to enter Canada as a student, not a foreign worker, we don't need to get a job offer and LMO in order to apply for a spousal open work permit, right? Thank you for your advices :)

By the way, I want to ask another question if anyone knows about this.
I checked CIC and I saw this part:

o You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if you:

are currently in Canada and have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit,

have graduated from a program at a
Canadian university,
community college,
CÉGEP,
publicly funded trade/technical school or
other eligible school,

have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or
are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada (you will have to pass certain stages in the main application process to be eligible for a work permit).

The questions are that
1. if my spouse graduated from national university in foreign country, is my spouse still eligible applying in Canada? My concern is that there isn't any word like "international," "Domestic," or "Canadian."

2. My spouse and I are citizens of visa-exempt country. According to sentences I cited, it seems that my spouse still needs to apply for temporary resident permit to apply for the spousal permit in Canada. Does my spouse have to apply for that? or it does not need because my partner can enter Canada without visitor visa?

* yes you do not need a job offer to apply for spousal open work permit because you are a student.

* Applying "In side" Canada is not the same as applying at "the port of entry". You are not eligible to apply inside canada from what i know. But being from a visa exempt country, you can apply for Open work permit at the port of entry. But you should confirm this further.

* I don't know where you got the idea mentioned in your point 2. There are two things one is called "temp resident visa" stamped on passports which allows one to visit / temporarily stay in Canada. That is issued to workers and students too from non visa exempt countries. You are your spouse don't need that. However, trv does not allow you to work / study in Canada. You already must have gotten your study permit and your spouse can get her OWP at the port of entry (on in the worst case, can apply from your home country, be issued a 'letter of introduction' and would still receive the final OWP at the port of entry.

qlwkej1

Sep 23, 2013
fkl said:
* yes you do not need a job offer to apply for spousal open work permit because you are a student.

* Applying "In side" Canada is not the same as applying at "the port of entry". You are not eligible to apply inside canada from what i know. But being from a visa exempt country, you can apply for Open work permit at the port of entry. But you should confirm this further.

* I don't know where you got the idea mentioned in your point 2. There are two things one is called "temp resident visa" stamped on passports which allows one to visit / temporarily stay in Canada. That is issued to workers and students too from non visa exempt countries. You are your spouse don't need that. However, trv does not allow you to work / study in Canada. You already must have gotten your study permit and your spouse can get her OWP at the port of entry (on in the worst case, can apply from your home country, be issued a 'letter of introduction' and would still receive the final OWP at the port of entry.

1. I'm a little confused whether there are any other requirements except what I already mentioned in the last my message.

2. Thank you for your explaination about TRV. When I saw introduction about the work permit and TRV, I was not sure whether my partner has to get TRV even though he will come from visa-exempt country.
Unfortunately, because we can marry among very few countries, we consider marrying in Canada. Based on your saying, if we have to apply for that at the port of entry, is it possible that my partner stays in Canada before we apply for the permit?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
qlwkej1 said:
1. I'm a little confused whether there are any other requirements except what I already mentioned in the last my message.

2. Thank you for your explaination about TRV. When I saw introduction about the work permit and TRV, I was not sure whether my partner has to get TRV even though he will come from visa-exempt country.
Unfortunately, because we can marry among very few countries, we consider marrying in Canada. Based on your saying, if we have to apply for that at the port of entry, is it possible that my partner stays in Canada before we apply for the permit?
Oh, you didn't exactly explain that earlier. So you guys are not married yet. In that case you have to fill forms for common law union and have to be living together for at least a year i think. Plus they would ask for several additional documents. Please note, this common law requirement is for your partner to get OWP as your spouse i.e. you being the principal applicant. Being from visa exempt country, he can travel to Canada on visit, but cannot work there. He can only apply for OWP at port of entry, if you have sufficient proof of your relationship such as address being same for both on official docs, shared bank accounts may be and other similar stuff.

qlwkej1

Sep 23, 2013
fkl said:
Oh, you didn't exactly explain that earlier. So you guys are not married yet. In that case you have to fill forms for common law union and have to be living together for at least a year i think. Plus they would ask for several additional documents. Please note, this common law requirement is for your partner to get OWP as your spouse i.e. you being the principal applicant. Being from visa exempt country, he can travel to Canada on visit, but cannot work there. He can only apply for OWP at port of entry, if you have sufficient proof of your relationship such as address being same for both on official docs, shared bank accounts may be and other similar stuff.
Thank you for your reply. We also consider common-law relationship, and thanks to your opinion, I believe we can think further now.

estilo

Feb 22, 2013
Good day all,please i need your advice,my sister husband is in canada and intent to bring her to canada,so she applied for OWP which is still under processing but now the husband now changed his job becos this new job pays better,my question is will this affect the OWP they applied for knowing that the previous job employment letter and pay subs that he was working before was added to the application and now he has change jobs.plz help my brothers and sisters

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Please describe how did her husband exactly switched job i.e. if he was on a temp work permit which is closed i.e. tied to one employer only, then he is required to get a new LMO and a new work permit to legally continue with the new job. The previous work permit and LMO are no longer valid.

If this was the case and he got a new work permit, then i am not sure what would happen. Perhaps sending updated LMO and work permit immediately to the embassy might help and they would substitute it. But i wonder how that happen "suddenly" because getting LMO + wp takes time.

If the husband is a PR already or holds an open work permit, then i don't think it affects the application in any way. Just that it is a good idea to send the updated job info i.e. Contract + pay stubs etc. as proof of current status of primary applicant to CIC

estilo

Feb 22, 2013
Thanks a lot fkl for your response,actually he is doing is master degree program in canada for two years now,so he want to bring myy sister his wife to canada on open work permit.so all documents hav been submitted to canada Embassy through vfs but the issue is one the documents that was submitted which is his recent employment letter and pay slips also to the Embassy as part of supporting documents to bring his wife on OWP.he has just changed his job because this job pays higher than the one he had before.my question is will this change of job affect the visa they applied for OWP because now this new job document is not among the documents they submitted,please i would be happy if u could educate me on this issue,thanks