+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Necessary Documents for Open Work Permit.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I am not absolutely positive, but i don't think the job change has any impact.

It is a good idea though to submit latest info to CIC on your file. May be submit the new job offer letter and pay stubs as proof of current employment via email. If you do not have a file information, just send name, dob, passport number and contact details and you should be fine.

In order to apply for spousal open work permit, the post graduate work permit should be valid for at least another six months.

estilo

Feb 22, 2013
Thank you fkl for the response to my question,am happy now to know more on this issue,since the change of job does not affect the application for OWP.so what i see now is that since my sister have submitted already ,this will make it the third month now that the documents is with the Embassy.sending the information to them will be difficult on less the Embassy ask for it or further information on current job.so i think we would wait and see how it goes,what do u think

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
estilo said:
Thank you fkl for the response to my question,am happy now to know more on this issue,since the change of job does not affect the application for OWP.so what i see now is that since my sister have submitted already ,this will make it the third month now that the documents is with the Embassy.sending the information to them will be difficult on less the Embassy ask for it or further information on current job.so i think we would wait and see how it goes,what do u think
I don't think it should be difficult. You can just email them the scanned copies along with a letter explaining the situation. Every CIC office has an official email for immigration inquiries and they officially ask every one on website to "immediately notify us of any change in your situation".

If they decide to verify details of your principal applicant's current employer (not very common, but possible) and discover that he is not working there any more on their own, then it will NOT be a good situation for you guys. At the very least it will make them suspicious and delay your case. At worst it could result in refusal once.

If i were in your shoes, i won't waste a day and submit the updated info, only for the sake of getting my file processed correctly and as fast as possible

estilo

Feb 22, 2013
Thanks a lot fkl for the information you made me understand,we will try and do as you said to update the information

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
You are most welcome. If you are sending by email, do not forget to add the following info (otherwise it will be lost).

Your full name, DOB, passport number, file number (if available), contact info (address, phone number) and details of submission (courier / VFS id etc.).

Maling

Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi (online)
NOC Code......
N/A (SOWP)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
Hi to all...

I just created my online account yesterday for my sowp application. I was just concerned with the question if I have a written job offer from an employer in Canada. I first answered yes because I actually have and just last Monday my LMO came after how many months. Shall I mention that I actually have one? Is it necessary? Would it be a reason for refusal since my husband is already in Canada holding TWP and I will follow him and work there. Will the VO question my purpose / intention of stay? Shall I mention that I do have an offer letter or no need to.

Appreciate your advices :)

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Maling said:
Hi to all...

I just created my online account yesterday for my sowp application. I was just concerned with the question if I have a written job offer from an employer in Canada. I first answered yes because I actually have and just last Monday my LMO came after how many months. Shall I mention that I actually have one? Is it necessary? Would it be a reason for refusal since my husband is already in Canada holding TWP and I will follow him and work there. Will the VO question my purpose / intention of stay? Shall I mention that I do have an offer letter or no need to.

Appreciate your advices :)

If i understand you correctly, you husband already has a job in Canada in the skilled catagory and you are about to apply for an open work permit based upon that. Now you also got a job offer independently and you have gotten LMO for that too.

If above understanding is correct, it is a little difficult situation. Normally for a sowp you don't need any of that. Rather you attach a copy of your husband's LMO and job offer with your application. I don't know why you didn't consider this when applying for LMO through your employer on your own.

However, i think the best course would be to show job offer and apply for SOWP. That way you can switch employers too since your work permit would be open. Also the job offer makes your case stronger.

It is hard to say any thing beyond that without knowing details of job offers for each of you. If your husband's job is skilled but not as good as the one you have, may be it is better to apply on yours. OR may be if CIC knows some how that you already got an approved LMO they migth question this.

Advantage of separate twp is that yours won't be cancelled / terminated if for instance the one for your husband does. The disadvantage is that you will be tied to only one employer

Maling

Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi (online)
NOC Code......
N/A (SOWP)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
fkl said:
If i understand you correctly, you husband already has a job in Canada in the skilled catagory and you are about to apply for an open work permit based upon that. Now you also got a job offer independently and you have gotten LMO for that too.

If above understanding is correct, it is a little difficult situation. Normally for a sowp you don't need any of that. Rather you attach a copy of your husband's LMO and job offer with your application. I don't know why you didn't consider this when applying for LMO through your employer on your own.

However, i think the best course would be to show job offer and apply for SOWP. That way you can switch employers too since your work permit would be open. Also the job offer makes your case stronger.

It is hard to say any thing beyond that without knowing details of job offers for each of you. If your husband's job is skilled but not as good as the one you have, may be it is better to apply on yours. OR may be if CIC knows some how that you already got an approved LMO they migth question this.

Advantage of separate twp is that yours won't be cancelled / terminated if for instance the one for your husband does. The disadvantage is that you will be tied to only one employer

Hi fkl, yes you are right. I am actually applying for an open work permit since my husband is holding a skilled level wp. In the online questions, there is a question if i have a job offer from an emplpyer in canada. Actually what happened was, when my husband came to Canada he was only under low skilled category. And for me to be able to join him was either for him to become skilled or I should find my own employer. I first found an employer before he cecame skilled but unfortunately my lmo took so long to come and so my husband was able to finalize his skilled wp.

We both decided then to apply for open wp for me. So my question is that is it ok to mention that I have an offer letter or not necessary since Im applying for owp. It confused me more because just last monday my lmo came which I was not expecting anymore. I will be purauing my owp application but will my job offer become a cause for ny refusal?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Maling said:
Hi fkl, yes you are right. I am actually applying for an open work permit since my husband is holding a skilled level wp. In the online questions, there is a question if i have a job offer from an emplpyer in canada. Actually what happened was, when my husband came to Canada he was only under low skilled category. And for me to be able to join him was either for him to become skilled or I should find my own employer. I first found an employer before he cecame skilled but unfortunately my lmo took so long to come and so my husband was able to finalize his skilled wp.

We both decided then to apply for open wp for me. So my question is that is it ok to mention that I have an offer letter or not necessary since Im applying for owp. It confused me more because just last monday my lmo came which I was not expecting anymore. I will be purauing my owp application but will my job offer become a cause for ny refusal?
No, i think that your job offer would play a positive role on your owp application. Though i am a little doubful about the LMO situation. Perhaps it's best to apply for open work permit, submit your job offer along and attach a letter explaining your situation above.

On another note, it is your personal call whether to apply for sowp (which lets you work for any employer as long as your husband is on skilled twp) or your own TWP using the LMO (which has the benefit that if your husband is layed off, may be he could apply on your behalf too.

If yours is not skilled, then you should definitely apply for sowp.

Maling

Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi (online)
NOC Code......
N/A (SOWP)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
fkl said:
No, i think that your job offer would play a positive role on your owp application. Though i am a little doubful about the LMO situation. Perhaps it's best to apply for open work permit, submit your job offer along and attach a letter explaining your situation above.

On another note, it is your personal call whether to apply for sowp (which lets you work for any employer as long as your husband is on skilled twp) or your own TWP using the LMO (which has the benefit that if your husband is layed off, may be he could apply on your behalf too.

thank u very much fkl for the very uplifting insights. I should better speak to my employer or consultant with regards to the lmo if possible for my name to be removed from there. :)

Maling

Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi (online)
NOC Code......
N/A (SOWP)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
fkl said:

Do you think CIC would be able to trace that I have an existibg lmo?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I think they might be able to trace that. But generally they are very rigid about not being able to corelate files UNLESS you provide will all the info. You see CIC seems to be pretty busy round the year so they apparently act quite sluggisly on their own.

The above is MERE SPECULATION and not some official info. If your husband is in Canada he might call up cic's helpline and ask for advice anonymously though often the agent handling these calls is not well informed himself as well. So might be a good idea to call at different times, being served by different agents and verify if they all give you the same advice.

Maling

Jan 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi (online)
NOC Code......
N/A (SOWP)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-12-2013
AOR Received.
26-12-2013
Med's Request
N/A
fkl said:
I think they might be able to trace that. But generally they are very rigid about not being able to corelate files UNLESS you provide will all the info. You see CIC seems to be pretty busy round the year so they apparently act quite sluggisly on their own.

The above is MERE SPECULATION and not some official info. If your husband is in Canada he might call up cic's helpline and ask for advice anonymously though often the agent handling these calls is not well informed himself as well. So might be a good idea to call at different times, being served by different agents and verify if they all give you the same advice.
thank you fkl... your time and insights are more than enough :) I would now have to work on my LMO so that it would not complicate my sowp application.

Abhidavi

Jun 22, 2017
Hello...I am from India and my wife is studying in canada...I am planning to apply for open work permit...can anyone tell me what are the documents required for open work permit canada?

0801A

May 16, 2018
hey
can anyone suggest me. Me, my husband and my child applied for work permit from india. before that we applied for trv and now we got rejection in trv. please suggest me what to do next. my sister is in canada it must be one of the reason. they gave comman reason as they give to everyone.