+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

needscoffee

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
RN_0001 said:
You can also apply as LPN. You would have to change your request with NNAS and ask them to review your education for how well it compares to LPN/RPN too. Of course, there is a fee for that.

I think that the system is set up to almost force RNs into LPN/RPN roles. We are in higher need for RPN/LPNs in Canada and they are also paid less. So I sometimes wonder if NNAS is channelling RNs into RPN/LPN roles by finding them more comparable and thus making it easier for RN's to be licensed as RPN/LPNs. Depending on where you were educated, you will probably have a better chance of becoming an LPN first. But you will be doing exactly as they hoped you would do by creating a good supply of overqualified RPNs/LPNs. But of course, you have to do what is right for you and applying to be an LPN might be what is right for you.
Actually, applied for both (RN&LPN)
I'm really hoping that will get a good result though

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
needscoffee said:
Actually, applied for both (RN&LPN)
I'm really hoping that will get a good result though
I think with education from Philippines you will get a better result with LPN but not likely RN. I wonder if it will be possible for you to become registered as LPN (if CARNA allows) and at the same time continue with your RN application by doing the things they ask you to do to prove yourself, like take the SEC or the Alberta Registered Nurse Assessment Program exam. The thing I worry about though is that by the time you get the go-ahead to register for it, SEC will be full and it will have switched over to the ARNAP exam (the switch is supposed to happen in June 2017), and this is going to cost $1900 CAD.

needscoffee

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
RN_0001 said:
I think with education from Philippines you will get a better result with LPN but not likely RN. I wonder if it will be possible for you to become registered as LPN (if CARNA allows) and at the same time continue with your RN application by doing the things they ask you to do to prove yourself, like take the SEC or the Alberta Registered Nurse Assessment Program exam. The thing I worry about though is that by the time you get the go-ahead to register for it, SEC will be full and it will have switched over to the ARNAP exam (the switch is supposed to happen in June 2017), and this is going to cost $1900 CAD.
I know. that will be more expensive.

RN_0001 are you from the Philippines? In what province you apply? Did you apply directly for RN or you get LPN first? thank you very much

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
needscoffee said:
RN_0001 are you from the Philippines? In what province you apply? Did you apply directly for RN or you get LPN first? thank you very much
No, not from Philippines. I got my nursing education in the USA and my NNAS Advisory Report said "non-comparable". I applied for a license in Ontario.

trxter41

Star Member
Oct 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2014
AOR Received.
25-02-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-03-2015
Med's Done....
12-03-2015
Passport Req..
06-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2015
LANDED..........
30-07-2015
RN_0001 said:
Customer service is horrible, they don't treat people nicely. In their defence they seem very understaffed and it's not the fault of the people answering the phones that they are understaffed. But at the same time, they have a contract with the provincial licensing bodies to provide a service within the amount of time that they say they will do it in. They are not meeting this deadline. Therefore they should hire more staff. But, they wouldn't make as much money if they hired more staff! I wish the licensing bodies held them accountable to applicants.

The assessors are not nurses. Just people trained to look through your school syllabi.
the fees we paid are not exactly cheap, so we deserve better treatment from them.

SGtoCAD

Jan 27, 2017
Ugh how can the Nurses' association in Canada allow what NNAS is doing. My goodness its horrible. I have waited 6 months and the application still says "Ready for review". I have no hopes at all whatsoever that it will be done even by this year. Might even change career as this is taking too much time and money with no results! :mad:

needscoffee

Star Member
Feb 17, 2017
SGtoCAD said:
Ugh how can the Nurses' association in Canada allow what NNAS is doing. My goodness its horrible. I have waited 6 months and the application still says "Ready for review". I have no hopes at all whatsoever that it will be done even by this year. Might even change career as this is taking too much time and money with no results! :mad:
have you tried to phone them? tell them that you've been waiting for 6 months already

SGtoCAD

Jan 27, 2017
needscoffee said:
have you tried to phone them? tell them that you've been waiting for 6 months already
Hmmm i have not. Would they pick up the phone?? Have you tried it before?

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
SGtoCAD said:
Hmmm i have not. Would they pick up the phone?? Have you tried it before?
Yes, definitely call them. That's what customer service is for. They can be quite rude, but be persistent and ask to talk to a manager and then usually they will start being nicer then.

SGtoCAD

Jan 27, 2017
RN_0001 said:
Yes, definitely call them. That's what customer service is for. They can be quite rude, but be persistent and ask to talk to a manager and then usually they will start being nicer then.
Wow! I am suprised! Such bad service and they choose to be rude? Interesting. Will try this out

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
SGtoCAD said:
Wow! I am suprised! Such bad service and they choose to be rude? Interesting. Will try this out
You have to be assertive and stick up for yourself. You are the only one who is going to advocate for yourself. Can't rely on a big company to keep track of your personal file. I know they should, but, you're your best advocate.

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012
I sympathize with you my friend because i use to think that these people know me personally and was being spiteful in keeping me waiting longer than others did. but don't give up and if you can afford to apply for both RN and RPN/LPN because it is more likely to get through as RPN/LPN as mention by others.

All the best, keep the faith and keep strong and things will work out eventually.

Legentellison said:
Well lets see what they say ill take it from there....but going back to school definitely would mean a change in careers for me