+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

Hils

Dec 8, 2018
Good day,

I finished my BNsc from Nigeria in 2016, I got my RN in 2017. I don't really have a clinical experience (job) aside my clinical experience/posting during my years in school. I only got to work in an IT company as their nurse not up to a year and then I moved down to Canada. I really do not know what to do, if I have to do an assessment with NNAS or WES or better still go back to school for two years to do an accelerated nursing program. Please I need an advise because I heard NNAS wants a clinical experience (job) and that it takes a year for the assessment. Please what do you guys think?

febinjoy11

Dec 24, 2011
Where did you get your nursing education? You have to apply to NNAS, just like any other internationally trained nurse. Whether you were trained in the USA, Ghana, India, Australia or Ivory Coast, the process is the same. So you'll have to pay the money so that an American non-nurse in Philly can determine how well your US nursing education compares to a Canadian nursing education.
do I have to do courses for getting the license in Canada?

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Good day,

I finished my BNsc from Nigeria in 2016, I got my RN in 2017. I don't really have a clinical experience (job) aside my clinical experience/posting during my years in school. I only got to work in an IT company as their nurse not up to a year and then I moved down to Canada. I really do not know what to do, if I have to do an assessment with NNAS or WES or better still go back to school for two years to do an accelerated nursing program. Please I need an advise because I heard NNAS wants a clinical experience (job) and that it takes a year for the assessment. Please what do you guys think?
NNAS does not assess nursing work experience. They ONLY assess your nursing education. The provincial licensing body will be interested in your nursing work experience AFTER you have completed NNAS. There is no way for you to become a nurse in Canada without going through the NNAS process, unless you start in the beginning and complete an entire BScN at a Canadian university. Yes NNAS can take up to one year just to receive the Advisory Report.

arawa

Feb 16, 2016
Hello,
I finished my nursing in 2011 from Nigeria and moved to the UK this year . I am presently qualified in the UK and i am planning on moving to canada next year . I am presently confused on how to start my application . Will I make reference to my registration in Nigeria or can I start from me being a RN in the UK . Please I need help

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Hello,
I finished my nursing in 2011 from Nigeria and moved to the UK this year . I am presently qualified in the UK and i am planning on moving to canada next year . I am presently confused on how to start my application . Will I make reference to my registration in Nigeria or can I start from me being a RN in the UK . Please I need help
You need to apply to NNAS and will be applying in reference to your nursing education from Nigeria. NNAS only evaluates nursing education, not experience. The licensing body may later evaluate your experience, but they won't even touch your paperwork until you have gone through NNAS first.

arawa

Feb 16, 2016
You need to apply to NNAS and will be applying in reference to your nursing education from Nigeria. NNAS only evaluates nursing education, not experience. The licensing body may later evaluate your experience, but they won't even touch your paperwork until you have gone through NNAS first.
Thank you

God's babe

Mar 16, 2018
got following email from HEALTH FORCE.

Ryerson, Trent, Windsor and York universities have announced that they are now accepting applications for their new competency-based consortium courses. Those courses will help Internationally Educated Nurses (IENs) with small competency gaps to meet the educational requirements for registration as a Registered Nurse in Ontario.

An estimated 10% of IENs who have completed the Internationally Educated Nurses Competency Assessment Program (IENCAP) have competency gaps exclusively in the following areas:
Ethical Practice,
Self-Regulation,
Professional Responsibility and Accountability, and
Service to the Public.

If you have competency gaps exclusively in one or more of the four areas listed above, you may be interested in learning more about these competency-based courses.

If you are interested in learning more, please visit rncompetencies.ca for details.

The competency bridging courses offered by the four-university consortium will assist some IENs in meeting the nursing education requirement outlined on the CNO website. Please note, however, that all requirements listed on the CNO website must be met to achieve registration.

God's babe

Mar 16, 2018
Hi Group this may be my last post. I just have a few things to add before i go.
I joined this forum to learn and see what others are going through and to be honest i have had negative as well as positive responses from other applicants on this very same forum. Listen guys we are from all over the world joined by this forum.
I am from the Caribbean, Jamaica to be exact. I did my nursing program of 3yrs bachelor in Jamaica, my nursing experience in Jamaica of 5yrs too. I did my NCLEX in the states in 2016 and passed. This process has taken some time:
I applied in August 2016 to NNAS
Report issued March 2017 Non Comparable 50%
Jursidiction Exam done March 2017
I wrote letters and called as i heard nothing after that
OSCE directions given Feb 2018
Passed OSCE, Very Well

I didnt attend any classes or anything like that. I studied and practiced and simply applied myself to the scenarios.

The process is a lengthy one so be prepared for that. If you dont hear anything or if you're unsure write and call CNO.

I was so discouraged from some of the feedback i got here some stated that i would need "First World Experience" , rubbish once you are a confident nurse, knowledgeable and know how to relate to patients you will be fine. believe in yourself. Seek help if you think you need it and do your best.

1 tip send all the documents you know they are going to need dont wait if you know they are going to need them as this will only result in delays in your processing.
Wow, congratulations.
Did you feel very confident after the exam that you were going to pass?
Did you actually do everything well in all stations?
I mean answering questions,communicating effectively and actually performing a step by step examination.
How long did it take for results to be released by CNO?
Did you get a breakdown of your result?

Hils

Dec 8, 2018
NNAS does not assess nursing work experience. They ONLY assess your nursing education. The provincial licensing body will be interested in your nursing work experience AFTER you have completed NNAS. There is no way for you to become a nurse in Canada without going through the NNAS process, unless you start in the beginning and complete an entire BScN at a Canadian university. Yes NNAS can take up to one year just to receive the Advisory Report.
Like I said earlier, I don't really have a working experience aside my clinical postings in school. I only worked in a place for few months before leaving my country and it wasn't an hospital. Do you think the provincial licensing body will accept that, does any body have an idea for such.

Believe08

Sep 13, 2018
Hiii to everyone,
Thanks you RN 001 for your great reply and support to everyone. I have few clarifications that anyone could assist . 1) CNO have asked me to do OSCE . Can anyone suggest any preparation courses that I could enroll in Brampton. ?And also I am worried whether it could be achievable to pass the OSCE. Please specify any institute which is worth to spend money for preparation. 2) If not other choice given to me is ,I have to enroll a cours which would help me toto me my competency gaps . I'm really not sure where do I need to join and what kind of course I have to join. Really too worried about finding a college who could accept. Please share your suggestions. Thank you everyone . Much appreciated.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Like I said earlier, I don't really have a working experience aside my clinical postings in school. I only worked in a place for few months before leaving my country and it wasn't an hospital. Do you think the provincial licensing body will accept that, does any body have an idea for such.
you will still need to tell them that you have these few months of experience but i think in the end it wont be enough and you will have to do IENCAP (OSCE).

Last edited: