+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Change

assassin022

Jan 23, 2023
I have a surname change (totally a different one) done after my graduation. So in my bachelor's, my surname said 'x', and in my passport, etc it's 'y'. So do i face any issues while applying for VISA or PR? Or only a name change gazetted copy annexure will do while am applying for the PR? Please help..

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have a surname change (totally a different one) done after my graduation. So in my bachelor's, my surname said 'x', and in my passport, etc it's 'y'. So do i face any issues while applying for VISA or PR? Or only a name change gazetted copy annexure will do while am applying for the PR? Please help..
Yes, the legal name change doc should be sufficient to demonstrate you changed your name. It won't hurt to include a short letter of explanation so that it's clear (eg "changed name legally in XXXX and therefore documents before that date show original name", possibly detailing which is which if any confusion).

This is, of course, assuming that what youv'e described as local name change legal/docs procedure is accurate.

Reactions: assassin022

assassin022

Jan 23, 2023
Yes, the legal name change doc should be sufficient to demonstrate you changed your name. It won't hurt to include a short letter of explanation so that it's clear (eg "changed name legally in XXXX and therefore documents before that date show original name", possibly detailing which is which if any confusion).

This is, of course, assuming that what youv'e described as local name change legal/docs procedure is accurate.
Thanks for the info. Yup, as per the Indian legal process, I have an affidavit, Newspaper publication, and Gazatte copy stating my name change and I hope that will be enough to support a legitimate proof of the name change.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the info. Yup, as per the Indian legal process, I have an affidavit, Newspaper publication, and Gazatte copy stating my name change and I hope that will be enough to support a legitimate proof of the name change.
Since the IRCC staff cannot be experts of change of name docs of every jurisdiction in the world, will definitely help to include documents (eg ID cards) that reflect that change of name having been acceptd by others.

Reactions: assassin022
Dec 11, 2023
I have a similar case ,
where my spouse has a different last name " X" and after our marriage she has a different last name "Y" .
I have a marriage certificate stating that the name is changed from "X" to "Y" .

Will this Marriage certificate will be sufficient for explaining that the Educational Certificates with "X" last name and Passport "Y" last name are the same person when applying for a student visa .

I am assuming that the Visa officers will look into all this things properly