+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Change Considerations - Need Advice

redhilltree

Jul 14, 2016
I am a permanent resident in Canada and hold an Indian passport.

I have a relatively unpronounceable Indian name and am considering changing it to a simpler (Indian) name that people can call and I too am more comfortable with

I understand the process is relatively straightforward here in Canada. Once I go through that and change my name on my PR card, I imagine problems arising when I travel to India with my Indian passport that has my old name, can I get through with a name change certificate? Or do you suggest I change my name in the Indian passport as well? (I prefer having one name in both countries but I want to know if it is going to be insanely difficult to get it done)

Is there anything else I am missing?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I am a permanent resident in Canada and hold an Indian passport.

I have a relatively unpronounceable Indian name and am considering changing it to a simpler (Indian) name that people can call and I too am more comfortable with

I understand the process is relatively straightforward here in Canada. Once I go through that and change my name on my PR card, I imagine problems arising when I travel to India with my Indian passport that has my old name, can I get through with a name change certificate? Or do you suggest I change my name in the Indian passport as well? (I prefer having one name in both countries but I want to know if it is going to be insanely difficult to get it done)

Is there anything else I am missing?
1. You will have to change the name on your passport as well, since your passport and PR card should match, carrying your name change certificate, probably won't work in a lot of countries to explain the dependency
2. For the name change on the passport http://www.blsindia-canada.com/name_chan.php

".In all other cases of change of name/surname in the passport, inserting advertisements in two English newspapers – one in local area where the applicant is residing and another in the area of permanent residence in India – is compulsory."

Reactions: redhilltree

redhilltree

Jul 14, 2016
Hi

1. You will have to change the name on your passport as well, since your passport and PR card should match, carrying your name change certificate, probably won't work in a lot of countries to explain the dependency
2. For the name change on the passport http://www.blsindia-canada.com/name_chan.php

".In all other cases of change of name/surname in the passport, inserting advertisements in two English newspapers – one in local area where the applicant is residing and another in the area of permanent residence in India – is compulsory."
Thanks PMM. Am a bit confused about the local newspaper ad in India. Newspapers might need an affidavit - Is it something I can fill and send from Canada?

Reactions: CECInlandCA

redhilltree

Jul 14, 2016
Just to make sure, is the below the right order to go about doing this

1. Change legal name as per process of the province in Canada (via Dept of Vital Statistics)
2. After receipt of name change certificate, put an ad in Canadian local newspaper and a newspaper in India
3. After a month from the ad, apply via BLS for new passport (The BLS application needs my PR card, which will be in my new name since that would be changed during step 1)

Does that sound right?

Reactions: HAchar

HAchar

Dec 9, 2017
Brampton
Category........
FSW
Hey redhilltree,

Did you make progress? Im thinking of getting the same thing done. I too have a name which is difficult to pronounce :(.

What is the order of steps I need to take to have the same names in both countries? It would be super helpful of you if you could provide this information.

Just to make sure, is the below the right order to go about doing this

1. Change legal name as per process of the province in Canada (via Dept of Vital Statistics)
2. After receipt of name change certificate, put an ad in Canadian local newspaper and a newspaper in India
3. After a month from the ad, apply via BLS for new passport (The BLS application needs my PR card, which will be in my new name since that would be changed during step 1)

Does that sound right?