+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

richard311

Dec 7, 2019
Hello, I have been reading this thread and I noticed that many senior members are saying that we need to get the reference letter from the HR department.

However, I noticed that IRCC specified "signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer" on their website:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

Does this mean that it is also acceptable to have the letter issued and signed by our immediate supervisor/manager instead of the HR officers?

Hope you can share your view or experience here, thanks!

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hello, I have been reading this thread and I noticed that many senior members are saying that we need to get the reference letter from the HR department.

However, I noticed that IRCC specified "signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer" on their website:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

Does this mean that it is also acceptable to have the letter issued and signed by our immediate supervisor/manager instead of the HR officers?

Hope you can share your view or experience here, thanks!
If they have the mandate in the organization to issue such letter why not..

HimanshuS712

Jul 6, 2019
Dear All,

Can we have a letter addressed by Human Resource Department and not a single person. I mean is it mandatory to add a referee to sign it or just a company seal with generalised signatory would suffice?

aseemrastogi2

Feb 16, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have two designations in the organization I have submitted as part of my work history. In the pre - ITA stage, I had submitted it as one entry with the latest designation.

But now since I needed to indicate my personal history in detail, I was thinking whether I should include both my designations as separate entries in my work and personal history? The roles and responsibilities were same as mentioned on my reference letter.

The documents I was thinking of uploading (which I currently have). Please confirm if they are fine to go ahead.
1) Reference letter which has the last designation
2) Joining letter which has the first designation
3) Promotion letter
4) Resignation letter
5) LOE explaining this in detail including the change from pre-ITA stage

Additionally, kindly advise if I need to ask the company to reissue this reference letter with both designations? Thanks in advance

Oct 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have two designations in the organization I have submitted as part of my work history. In the pre - ITA stage, I had submitted it as one entry with the latest designation.

But now since I needed to indicate my personal history in detail, I was thinking whether I should include both my designations as separate entries in my work and personal history? The roles and responsibilities were same as mentioned on my reference letter.

The documents I was thinking of uploading (which I currently have). Please confirm if they are fine to go ahead.
1) Reference letter which has the last designation
2) Joining letter which has the first designation
3) Promotion letter
4) Resignation letter
5) LOE explaining this in detail including the change from pre-ITA stage

Additionally, kindly advise if I need to ask the company to reissue this reference letter with both designations? Thanks in advance
It should be one entry with latest designation. Basically, one entry per employer.

And regarding the reference letter, as per CIC requirements:

a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
  • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
  • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits;
Most employers won't mention annual salary, for which you can attach pay stubs, increment letters, form16, etc. anything that indicates your salary credits.
As for the other details: all titles held, mention of "full-time" and "40-hr per week" and role and responsibilities - insist your employer to provide the same. They are important, at least roles and responsibilities. Make sure it is signed and sealed on company letterhead.

MJSAM

Jan 15, 2020
My HR (current and the previous company I've worked for) refused to disclose my salary details on reference letter as it's against their confidential policy. What should I do? Please advise.

Oct 30, 2019
My HR (current and the previous company I've worked for) refused to disclose my salary details on reference letter as it's against their confidential policy. What should I do? Please advise.
It's common for companies to NOT mention salary information on employment letters. Attach your payslips and increment letters if you have them. And mention in LOE that you have attached them to substantiate your salary information

Wedding Crasher

Jan 29, 2018
Hello, For anyone reading this, I got PPR on Friday. HR refused to put the duties on the letterhead reference letter, and they informed me this verbally, so I couldnt provide proof to IRCC that they refused my request. What I did was provide from HR a reference letter with the usual details like salary,title,joining date etc. ,and then got the duties from my supervisor on a white paper and had it notarized. I also provided his business card, a couple of payment slips, contract, and promotion letter. Apparently IRCC accepted it without any ADR or job verification.

Good luck everyone.

Pjs94

Jan 12, 2020
Hello everyone, i have total 4.5 year experience under same NOC. Out of these, 3.5 were with previous employer and 1 is with current employer. For express entry, can i only provide reference letter of previous employer, and NOT of current employer. Both have the same NOC but can i put the current employer in the other list of work experience.

Walle_007

Aug 8, 2019
For those who are looking for a reference letter format, I have drafted one and used this for me as well. This is in line with the requirement that has been mentioned in the OINP Application Guide (http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNP_EE_CAPITAL.html). Please feel free to tewek it to meed your requirement.

Reference Letter Format

Date: _____________

To Whom it May Concern

This is to certify that Mr. ____________ (Name) is currently employed with __________ (Company Name) in ___________ (Location, Country).

Details of his employment are given below:
• Designation:
• Date of Joining:
• Employee ID:
• Type of Employment (Full time/permanent/part-time):
• Hours of Work/Week:
• Department:
• Reporting Manager:
• Annual Salary:

Duties and responsibilities handled by ___________ (Name) are as follows:

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

For (Company Name)

<Signature of the Referee> <Company Seal>
<Name & Designation of the Referee>
<Contact No. and Email of the Referee>
have a quick question. what if designation of person (in my case owner of the restaurant) signing the letter is missing?

raj90

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Good post, Stanlee.

I would like to mention my experience here. I tried my best to get a letter on the letterhead (for my OINP application). I contacted my manager first and requested him to provide a letter (I showed him the format). My manager refused to give me the letter (because he said he is not authorized to provide such a letter). I then e-mailed the HR and asked them to provide such a letter on the letterhead! I pursued them for 3 full weeks but to no avail.

I got the letter from the HR in the standard format of the company (It mentions only my name, date of joining, designation and employee ID). Then, I got the letter from a senior colleague in the required format in a plain paper. I suggest all applicants to get this letter notarized. To sum up, I submitted the following documents to OINP -

1) Letter of explanation for reference letter
2) Copy of the Standard format of the company’s letter
3) Reference letter(with all necessary details) by a senior colleague
4) Copy of the senior colleague's company ID card

Good post, Stanlee.

I would like to mention my experience here. I tried my best to get a letter on the letterhead (for my OINP application). I contacted my manager first and requested him to provide a letter (I showed him the format). My manager refused to give me the letter (because he said he is not authorized to provide such a letter). I then e-mailed the HR and asked them to provide such a letter on the letterhead! I pursued them for 3 full weeks but to no avail.

I got the letter from the HR in the standard format of the company (It mentions only my name, date of joining, designation and employee ID). Then, I got the letter from a senior colleague in the required format in a plain paper. I suggest all applicants to get this letter notarized. To sum up, I submitted the following documents to OINP -

1) Letter of explanation for reference letter
2) Copy of the Standard format of the company’s letter
3) Reference letter(with all necessary details) by a senior colleague
4) Copy of the senior colleague's company ID card
5) Copy of Email – 1 from the HR
6) Copy of Email – 2 from HR
7) Copy of the company’s HR policy
8 ) Copy of pay scale letter for 2015
9) Copy of pay scale letter for 2014
10) Copy of the pay slips for the past 6 months
11) Copy of appointment letter [joining letter]
12) Copy of initial job offer letter

Luckily, my application was accepted by OINP and I got my AOR. As you can see, I cannot provide any more documentation to prove my work - I had submitted ALL the documents that I had.

So, if your letter is not on the letterhead, you can just go ahead and submit a letter from your supervisor/colleague & get it notarized. Please note that the name, phone number, official E-mail ID and the designation of the person giving the reference MUST be mentioned on the letter. If you provide comprehensive documentation, it is likely that OINP/CIC will be satisfied and proceed with your application.

Check this post too ---> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/employer-hr-refuses-official-job-letter-with-addnl-detailed-job-duties-t316445.0.html
Hi, so i quit my job and join the other job lets say 15th October, but my pay slips show i worked till 8th November, because i had to get the pay that is on 7th November. since my new job letter shows that i joined this job on 15th October... what do i have to show to CIC?

thanks.
5) Copy of Email – 1 from the HR
6) Copy of Email – 2 from HR
7) Copy of the company’s HR policy
8 ) Copy of pay scale letter for 2015
9) Copy of pay scale letter for 2014
10) Copy of the pay slips for the past 6 months
11) Copy of appointment letter [joining letter]
12) Copy of initial job offer letter

Luckily, my application was accepted by OINP and I got my AOR. As you can see, I cannot provide any more documentation to prove my work - I had submitted ALL the documents that I had.

So, if your letter is not on the letterhead, you can just go ahead and submit a letter from your supervisor/colleague & get it notarized. Please note that the name, phone number, official E-mail ID and the designation of the person giving the reference MUST be mentioned on the letter. If you provide comprehensive documentation, it is likely that OINP/CIC will be satisfied and proceed with your application.

Check this post too ---> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/employer-hr-refuses-official-job-letter-with-addnl-detailed-job-duties-t316445.0.html

Walle_007

Aug 8, 2019
Canada experience letter ..
I have realized that my employer (restaurant owner) forgot to put his title in reference letter..
It ends like this...

If you have any questions or require further information, you can reach out at xxx-xxx-xxxx or xxx.xxxx@yahoo.com

Thank you,

SIGNATURE.......
Full Name

What should I Do. Cic instructions mentioned that title should be there.
Should I request a new letter and send it ?

13nitinsharma

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2012
Canada
Canada experience letter ..
I have realized that my employer (restaurant owner) forgot to put his title in reference letter..
It ends like this...

If you have any questions or require further information, you can reach out at xxx-xxx-xxxx or xxx.xxxx@yahoo.com

Thank you,

SIGNATURE.......
Full Name

What should I Do. Cic instructions mentioned that title should be there.
Should I request a new letter and send it ?
You should submit a new reference letter including owner's title and his specific email ID (instead of yahoo, it should be from official ID domain).