+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nail the Challenge of Getting Reference Letter from Current Employer!!

calgal90

Star Member
Jan 15, 2020
Hi All,

I received a NOI in the last tech draw. I luckily already have reference letters from 3 past employers, but not my current employer (where I have been employed for the last 3 years).

I don't particularly want to ask my current employer for a reference letter because I am concerned that it will negatively impact my career prospects at the organisation. In addition, I know that I am a valued employee so they might panic when they hear I want to leave.

In this situation, do you think it will be sufficient to provide:
1. A letter of explanation explaining why I am hesitant to ask for a reference letter.
2. A letter from a colleague outlining the duties I performed while working with him. This is a colleague that I have worked with on multiple projects and have a good relationship with.
3. A job description for my current job on the company letter head.
4. My employment contract
5. Payslips (first 3 months, last 3 months).
6. Bank statements showing my salary come into my account (first 3 months, last 3 months)
7. Increase / bonus letters (I don't have all, but I have most, especially the most recent ones).
8. Tax returns
9. A photo of my company access card.

Has anyone been in this specific situation (not comfortable to ask HR or your supervisor for a reference letter)? And was this accepted?

SeniorStakes

Nov 7, 2018
Toronto
Hi All,

I received a NOI in the last tech draw. I luckily already have reference letters from 3 past employers, but not my current employer (where I have been employed for the last 3 years).

I don't particularly want to ask my current employer for a reference letter because I am concerned that it will negatively impact my career prospects at the organisation. In addition, I know that I am a valued employee so they might panic when they hear I want to leave.

In this situation, do you think it will be sufficient to provide:
1. A letter of explanation explaining why I am hesitant to ask for a reference letter.
2. A letter from a colleague outlining the duties I performed while working with him. This is a colleague that I have worked with on multiple projects and have a good relationship with.
3. A job description for my current job on the company letter head.
4. My employment contract
5. Payslips (first 3 months, last 3 months).
6. Bank statements showing my salary come into my account (first 3 months, last 3 months)
7. Increase / bonus letters (I don't have all, but I have most, especially the most recent ones).
8. Tax returns
9. A photo of my company access card.

Has anyone been in this specific situation (not comfortable to ask HR or your supervisor for a reference letter)? And was this accepted?
Your NOC code needs to be in sync with the experience (of three years) that you show. Is it in sync? If yes, current employment can be shown in letter of explanation only..with whatever details you wanna provide. Keep in mind that NOC needs to be in sync and that experience needs to be fully substantiated.

ram22mar

Star Member
Jun 11, 2021
India
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
11-07-2021
If your spouse is the primary applicant, then she need to submit reference letters for all the work experience which will be used to claim points. Since you are the co-applicant, you can claim points only if you have Canadian work experience. If you are claiming points for Canadian work experience, then you will need the reference letters as well.

While selecting the NOC, the duties and responsibilities mentioned in the NOC should be a close match with the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you at the respective job. You need not match the duties and responsibilities word by word, but the idea is to have the closest match in terms of the spirit of the duties and responsibilities. Also, NOC should be selected on the basis of the match of actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you rather than the designation match in the NOC list. If the letter that you have matches at least with 60%-70% of the duties and responsibilities mentioned in any of the relevant NOCs, then you need not get a fresh reference letter.
Also, one question here since we are claiming points only for 3 years or more foreign work experience.

If I worked in many companies and my total work experience is 8 years. But I managed to get reference letter in company letterhead from one employer with tenure of 3.5 years. So, I can use only that reference letter for claiming 3 or more years CRS point?

manojkapri

Star Member
Mar 24, 2021
Guys,

I have got my reference letters from my supervisors. When it comes to notarize these, Does it means the entire content of the reference letters will be typed on a bond paper and all ? Or do we just need to get the reference letter signed by supervisor again signed from any notary agent ?

Mar 14, 2022
Guys,

I have got my reference letters from my supervisors. When it comes to notarize these, Does it means the entire content of the reference letters will be typed on a bond paper and all ? Or do we just need to get the reference letter signed by supervisor again signed from any notary agent ?
Hey, What steps did you follow after you received the letter from your manager?? Kindly confirm.

Thanks in advance !!

Mar 14, 2022
Hi Friends

I have been working with TCS for close to 9 years. I have had four promotions and worked in 5 different projects (in 2 NOC Codes) in 4 different locations. Officially, TCS does not give a reference letter to its existing employees.

In lieu of that, based on feedback on Canada visa threads, I reached out to my previous managers who are still with TCS. They all agreed to give a notarized letter.

But we were still not sure. So, to get an expert advice we decided to hire an immigration consulting (the most popular one in India .. Abh....) to help with the post ITA process. The attorney at the immigration consulting company has advised me to simply get one email (on TCS email) from a colleague who has been in TCS longer than myself with all roles and responsibilities listed on it from all five projects, save it as a pdf and use that. According to them attaching five letters complicates things and Indian notarization is meaningless for CIC. What matters is that in case of a BGC (which is done via email in most cases) that person from your company should be able to confirm the details in the email.

On the other hand I read on the Canada Visa threads that notarized letter is required in absence of reference letter on company letter head.

I wanted to know if anyone else has gotten their PR by submitting email from colleague in absence of reference letter on letterhead? Or, if anyone has been advised by their attorney that notarization is a must?

If we can get a clear perspective on that, it will help a lot of other applicants as well. In the end getting an email is far easier than getting letters notarized (in which most are done in a fraudulent manner as the person who signs it is not always present in front of notary as the law requires them to be).

Best regards
Hi , Hope you see this one..

Did you get the PR and which step eventually you followed for the reference letter - email from colleague Or notarized letter from colleague? Please confirm.

Thanks !!

manojkapri

Star Member
Mar 24, 2021
Hey, What steps did you follow after you received the letter from your manager?? Kindly confirm.

Thanks in advance !!
Hi There,

I took print outs of the reference letters which were signed by my seniors. Then I got them stamped by public notary.
Along with this, I also asked my senior to share his business card and shared these with IRCC.

I have my COPR now :)

Reactions: IamaDreamernt@69

gracefu68

Star Member
Jun 30, 2022
Unfortunately he is the owner of the company and everything runs through him. Anyways, thanks (+1) for your answers. I will ask him if he can add hours or else I will just go with a 'full time'.
Hi, did you manage to file your application using the above?

ashwinpal

Oct 21, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am in the same situation where my company doesn't provide a reference letter on a letterhead. However, my supervisor agreed to give me a letter as long as I write it. Do I need to mention all roles and responsibilities according to my NOC and also my salary in that letter?

Thank you in advance.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am in the same situation where my company doesn't provide a reference letter on a letterhead. However, my supervisor agreed to give me a letter as long as I write it. Do I need to mention all roles and responsibilities according to my NOC and also my salary in that letter?

Thank you in advance.
Yes it should have your roles and responsibilities, start date, end date, salary, details of the company.

Reactions: ashwinpal

ashwinpal

Oct 21, 2021
Thank you @Taran D , I just got the hand written letter signed from my supervisor which doesn't have the company letterhead. Do I need to get it notarized as well?

13nitinsharma

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2012
Canada
Thank you @Taran D , I just got the hand written letter signed from my supervisor which doesn't have the company letterhead. Do I need to get it notarized as well?
Handwritten document will not work. The document must be electronically printed, notarized, stamped (on a legal paper, highly recommended) and signed by your supervisor/senior as well. Submit his/her employment ID (signed by supervisor) too along with this document.

Mar 14, 2022
Hi All,

Seeking Info : Would that be a problem if ER is not sharing the updated reference letter as already left the organization. Got the reference letter from Employer while working in there and now ER is refusing to share new one with the last working day details etc. If that could cause problems, any ideas to get the latest one ??

Also, What additional supporting documents apart from paychecks would be suffice to share to support the old reference letter.Do we need to include Tax documents- T4 slips as well?

Kindly share your thoughts.TIA.